Bizarre night in Boston/Watertown

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Bizarre night in Boston/Watertown

Postby Engineer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 pm

SoFa wrote:I don't know.
If you object to the handling of this, why not suggest a better alternative?
If you say " they could have done such and such and accomplished the capture without stepping on our rights" instead of just criticizing what they did then it is more constructive.
I'm just throwing this out there because I have mixed feelings on the whole thing, not because I don't understand where you're coming from.

They could have treated it like any other mass murder, rather than immediately jumping on the bandwagon that it *must* be terrorism if more than one or two people were killed.

Put them on the most wanted list and hunt them down.

It's the immediate jump to a military matter that bothers me the most...because if you demand your god given rights, you could wind up in Gitmo. The constitution was null and void less than 30 minutes into this thing, and the media cheered.

During the melee, the house passed CISPA, which (if it passes the senate) will strip away even more of your privacy.
http://www.zdnet.com/cispa-passes-u-s-house-death-of-the-fourth-amendment-7000014205/
Last edited by Engineer on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm

natsb88 wrote: My comment to this on Facebook:

Disturbing. Not only because of the alleged suspect, but because this kind of police presence, military vehicles, forced searches, holding people prisoner in their own home, shutting down businesses, and the like, does not belong on US soil. It's essentially martial law, without calling it that. If a lone crazy terrorist walks into my house, I can defend myself. If a 10-man SWAT team storms my house and mistakes me for the suspect (not an infrequent occurrence, as numerous families with dead innocent dogs and busted front doors can attest), WTF am I supposed to do? You cannot sacrifice your basic rights and freedoms out of fear, not even "just once," because it sets a precedence for future events, and inevitably the trigger event becomes less and less severe over time. These scenes will eventually represent the hunt for a habitual tax evader or a sweep for unregistered guns if Americans accept this type of treatment without at least a bit of skepticism. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next year, maybe not even in our lifetimes. But foundational rights don't just disappear overnight, they are eroded over time. It all starts somewhere, perhaps with a spectacle such that anyone who dare speak out against its handling can easily be vilified as selfish, insensitive, or as being suspicious themselves. The terrorists' goal isn't just to harm as many people as possible in a single attack, it's to achieve lasting effects on a society in the form of a less free and more fearful people. This type of reaction is EXACTLY their goal. Don't let them achieve it.

Enough said on this issue.

I'm off this conversation.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Catfish4u » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I had the same thought while watching some coverage at lunch. What if someone refuses to have their house searched? I have zero desire to have a swat team combing through my house, even if a crazy guy is on the loose. But this kind of thing puts a guy like me in a tough situation: I could A) forget the principle and just let them search my house because I have nothing to hide and because there is a crazy guy on the loose or B) refuse and immediately become a suspect and get my name on every list of every government agency in the country. Not a pleasant choice.

OK..... You have 100 ounces of silver hidden in several places in the house (600 ounces). Six SWAT members search your house. Who do you watch and who do you notify if something is missing?
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Catfish4u wrote:OK..... You have 100 ounces of silver hidden in several places in the house (600 ounces). Six SWAT members search your house. Who do you watch and who do you notify if something is missing?

You don't notify anybody. Your insurance company will weasel their way out of paying, and if you notify the cops, they'll show up to search again so they can seize the rest. Even if you get lucky and find some honest cops, there's always a chance some bungler in the department will leak the story (with your name and address) to the news.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:21 am

Engineer wrote:
During the melee, the house passed CISPA, which (if it passes the senate) will strip away even more of your privacy.
http://www.zdnet.com/cispa-passes-u-s-house-death-of-the-fourth-amendment-7000014205/
[/quote]

yeh...I DID notice that...MUCH to my heartache....know what? the more I focus on all this "stuff"...the more my spirit gets ground down. my problem is, I love this country SO PASSIONATELY, that when I see those who desire to take it in a direction that is TRULY wicked....now I know, why men would rend their garments and pour ashes on their heads....silly as that sounds....I understand now...and I just want to write one more thing...this morning, during my time alone with God?....my spirit felt,that these two young men?...were very very possibly the unwitting TOOLS of forces WAY beyond their comprehension.

not that they were "innocent" in a typical sense...but that in a sense, they were seduced to their doom...brothers, please don't get angry with me, but like so many things that have happened in 2013...its just DOESNT pass the "smell test"......one last thing...the more and more I read about him...the more and more I really LIKE Senator Ted Cruz...and of course Rand Paul....but Ted?...REALLY like him...if you read his bio, and read to what he's written and said?....THIS is a leader who speaks and does TRUE.

my two copper mites, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:29 am

It's not clear what actually happened with the searches. Did they really go in to every single house inside the perimeter? And what happened to homeowners who resisted?

Who searched that house on Franklin St? They didn't recognize the boat out back as a possible hiding place and see the blood and cut strap?
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby mflugher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:36 am

SoFa wrote:It's not clear what actually happened with the searches. Did they really go in to every single house inside the perimeter? And what happened to homeowners who resisted?

Who searched that house on Franklin St? They didn't recognize the boat out back as a possible hiding place and see the blood and cut strap?

If they didn't force consent the entire search was worthless. If they did Then trampling of rights occurred. I see no win in this situation for the people.

Also note that shortly after the lock-down was lifted a massive army of the citizens went out and located the perp, then reported him to the appropriate authorities.

Not the tanks in the street;
Not the swat teams kicking in doors;
Not the warrentless searches;

The Massachusetts Militia (the whole of the people) found the perp. within minutes of being unfettered by the feds...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:48 am

SoFa wrote:It's not clear what actually happened with the searches. Did they really go in to every single house inside the perimeter? And what happened to homeowners who resisted?

I think the house where the boat was, was one block outside the perimeter they were searching.

One report I heard said the homeowner saw the blood on his boat and the tarp was disturbed so he (the home owner) raised up the tarp and looked inside. He saw this guy laying there bleeding so he THEN went inside and called 911. I can't imagine anyone being that dumb. If that is true he is very lucky to be alive. When he peeked under the tarp he could have gotten his head blown off.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 pm

approx 1 mile from the scene of the shootout, I do not know exactly how large their search area was, but I do know that most of Boston was paralyzed by this police action.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby WileE » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:29 pm

I heard one of the suspects was from the Ministry of the Interior and had killed 16 Chechen Rebels with his bare hands.
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 pm

well worded post nate

thanks

http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2013/04/20/ ... in-boston/

anyone hear if any individual police actually disobeyed orders to go door to door and peep through windows of vehicles and homes ?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals