Large Purchase Strategy ??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Large Purchase Strategy ??

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:10 pm

68Camaro wrote:Hmmm, well that's some honest talk. . . . It's all a type of insurance, and all a type of investment. And yes, having some cash around is part of the insurance.

I'd assure I had the pantry stocked with a year's worth, pick up a couple of additional weapons and ammunition (renew the gun club membership,) and keep the rest in cash.

This is all hypothetical, right?

Wait 'till there is blood in the streets (another waterfall drop like the last one, not quite TSHTF scenario) and buy. Use the profits to start rubbing elbows with elite individuals who think similarly to my self and start planning the community with those who can afford it.

Then invite all of you who want to be a part also.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:10 pm

IMHO, the strategy should be more a question of how you can ensure a win win scenario rather than trying to time the market. Following Christostock's business model would be a good place to start, since he does well in both rising and falling markets. Scrapman has a nice business model, too.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:23 am

Engineer wrote:IMHO, the strategy should be more a question of how you can ensure a win win scenario rather than trying to time the market. Following Christostock's business model would be a good place to start, since he does well in both rising and falling markets. Scrapman has a nice business model, too.

+2

I always appreciate Engineer's advice. Thank you.

Now all we need is for Christostock to write a pamphlet describing his business model. (not really Chris)
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby christostock » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:08 am

Engineer wrote:IMHO, the strategy should be more a question of how you can ensure a win win scenario rather than trying to time the market. Following Christostock's business model would be a good place to start, since he does well in both rising and falling markets. Scrapman has a nice business model, too.

I am trying to figure out why you think I am doing well all the time??
You actually know nothing about my business model (except that I don't ship up to your standards).
Do I make Big profit? Medium profit? Tiny profit? Or do I lose money?
My way of operating is NOT something you want to do as an investment.
This takes a $hitload of time and energy and the profits are Tiny to nonexistent.
Why do I do this then you ask? Because I can't find a softer wall to beat my head against quite yet!! ;)
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 am

IdahoCopper wrote:

+2

I always appreciate Engineer's advice. Thank you.

Now all we need is for Christostock to write a pamphlet describing his business model. (not really Chris)

Chris has developed a reverse distribution network (through a LOT of hard work, salesmanship, phone calls, and constant driving) in which he has quite a number of sources (coin dealers, pawn shops, his own craigslist purchases, and other craigslist buyers) for silver and gold, all of whom he has persuaded that it is much easier for them to do wholesale buys at below market prices and then sell to him, after extracting a small yet still significant quick profit, which he then retails to us while maintaining barely below broad market (online dealers/significantly below ebay) pricing. Thus, he has a rather steady supply of precious metals funneled from a region with a population base probably in excess of ten million people, from which he can pluck small, irregular profits that channel into his money stream.

As long as prices go sideways or up, this plan works well... IF he can maintain a very large wallet, always ready to make immediate purchases. In that event, he can make consistent small profits (likely less than three or four percent mark-up) on the deals he labors so hard to develop. There are two problems with this business plan in manipulated markets. When the price is suppressed into a continuously downtrending channel, any inventory he can't sell quickly must be held (hopefully not indefinitely) until it can again be sold for a profit. So I'd have to guess he has various boxes of silver and gold that were purchased at $21/$1350, $20/$1300, $19/$1250, $18/1225, $17/1200, etc, that hold contents he was unable to offload quickly when markets dropped precipitously thanks to the bastards that push prices around. Sure, the boxes might only hold small remnants of larger buys (that he will again offer for sale when they can show a small profit) but meanwhile... they represent a loss of operating capital for him, constraining his ability to make further very large purchases. The second problem is... this plan is contingent upon sourcing steady supplies of precious metals at ever lower prices (when the markets continue as they have been)... and yet sellers may feel that they are not receiving enough value for their coins while buyers become wary, feeling that they could just wait and make purchases in another week or month at even greater discounts. Invariably, supply dries up and the market grinds to a halt during the bottoming process (how long does that take? :? ). This is why you see premiums increase as the markets drop.

I'm not a mindreader of course, but this is the process I would envision if I had deep pockets myself and the supply chain that I can imagine Chris has built up. I surely don't have the time or capital to pursue this line of work myself. I imagine this is similar to what those with individual brick and mortar LCS face as well. Remember all those times that member's have complained that customers flood shops only to find a few limited, scattered coins in the display cases? Of course dealers have coins in their safes... but they aren't idiots. No one can force them to sell their prior purchases at a loss, yet several threads here at realcent accuse them of sheer gall when they refrain from doing so. Or they accuse them of price-gouging when they only offer 50 or 70% of melt and then turn and flip it for 102 to 110%. WTF? Are these members implying that those dealers are thieves? Or that they have NO right to extract a profit? If so, then prepare to say goodbye to your local coin shop, because no one can remain in business if they constantly sell at lower margins just to please a few demanding customers. :sick: We are lucky to have individuals like Chris (there are others, but on a much smaller, intermittent basis) who either have their own LCS or a network of suppliers, who will subsequently offer their wares to our online community of penny-pinching members at savory enough prices to get us to part with a bit of our hard-earned cash. :clap:

So... what's the take-away on this?

Don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! For Gawd's Sake don't try and nickle and dime Chris with insulting counter-offers to the already excellent pricing he offers. If it gets to the point where he can't make a reliable $30 or $50 from a couple of hours of work... then he might just grow disgusted and throw in the towel. And there would go our incredible opportunity that we share for picking up further below market priced silver and gold. Please realize that, for instance, while a purchase of say $150 face of mixed 90% for $1900 shipped might strain your purse strings (and thus induce you to hope you could wangle a $25 discount)... that from the other side of the equation Chris might only have marked the lot up $50 himself. Thus, you would be asking him to take a fifty percent cut from his expected (and well-deserved) potential profit. I guess if he decides that gas is free, and his time is worth little, then he could honor your request...
and occasionally, for his best customers, he actually will shave a bit from his profit margin... but don't expect it if you have little or no transaction history with him. It should be sufficient that he will allow you (a nuisance for him) to hold purchases over several weeks so that you can combine multiple lots for discounted shipping.

And that's why I buy from him! :thumbup:

Moral of the story: buy your precious metals from christostock. He is trustworthy, they will be safely and securely packaged and shipped, and you are extremely unlikely to find better prices... anywhere :D ok now, where's my commission? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rum3002576 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:10 am

Moral of the story: buy your precious metals from christostock. He is trustworthy, they will be safely and securely packaged and shipped, and you are extremely unlikely to find better prices... anywhere
x2, Chris is an awesome guy to deal with
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:34 am

If we're going to publicly speculate on somebody's margins, which is rather unprofessional, I would venture to guess that much of what Chris does nets 1%. And in this market, frequently less than or equal to 0. I used to sell a fair bit of gold and silver through my website. Now those shelves are pretty bare. There is a lot of downside risk with unhedged PM inventory and a volatile spot price, as well as a dozen other ways to lose a large amount of money, some through no fault of your own. I have shifted my efforts to other areas. Luckily for BS and Realcent, Chris is still beating his head against that wall.
natsb88

Postby silverstacker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:56 am

christostock wrote:

You actually know nothing about my business model (except that I don't ship up to your standards).
Do I make Big profit? Medium profit? Tiny profit? Or do I lose money?
My way of operating is NOT something you want to do as an investment.
This takes a $hitload of time and energy and the profits are Tiny to nonexistent.
Why do I do this then you ask? Because I can't find a softer wall to beat my head against quite yet!! ;)

Well said :clap:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:52 pm

christostock wrote:

You actually know nothing about my business model

You've posted your model publicly. I believe it was in one of the JFF threads...which I have no desire to read again.

My post was meant as a compliment on your use of strategy and arbitrage over timing to gain ounces even while selling at a loss. I'm sure you have your headaches and losses along the way, but the point is that you're able to overcome those losses rather than just sticking your head in the sand until your next scheduled buy date.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Im actually waiting for the "Christostock Loyalty Rewards Program" to start :lol:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:05 am

Chris - I want FlightMiles on Delta! :D
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Id ask what are your goals here in order to provide better information with how to proceed. What are you specifically trying to accomplish by taking this specific strategy?
TXBullion

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:23 pm

I want to add something else. Let's take two people who want to spend $500k on PM's. One has a total net worth of $600k and the other has a net worth of $50 million. If the metals became worthless (for example, if they were stolen or confiscated), then the person who had $600k is now worth only $100k and is probably hurting. The other is still worth $49 million plus and is just fine.

The key point here is that the percent of one's total net worth in any one type of investment makes a difference.

I'm not trying to give advice per se, but do think that people need to think differently about things than they may be used to before making important decisions.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals