where has everybody gone?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: where has everybody gone?

Postby wolvesdad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Tourney64 wrote:I am not sorting nearly as much these days. My credit union is charging to get me half dollars, so no sorting them. I have stacks of pennies in my basement that need to be sorted. I have had 3 months early this year that I was out of commission for total knee replacement. Will probably start working on the penny stack when the weather turns nasty.

It is really sad all the people who are no longer here.

Hey Tourney!
I miss my days in Indiana! They were great fun sorting boxes of pennies and bags of half dollars!

But that first move out of Indiana with 400+ lbs of copper broke my sorting spirit. The moves since then, highly coupled with low copper prices remove the remaining motivation.

But the community here does a lot to make up for the 'negatives' of penny sorting.

Anyway, always glad to see friendly faces!!
Peace
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Not sorting (or posting) much, but I do drop by from time to time to read. Like many, I was on the old site. I think most were drawn there (and here) by copper, which was "kind of" overshadowed by AU/AG for quite a while there. Cue "After the Thrill is Gone" by the Eagles. :-) I guess many of us got distracted! I still appreciate the contributions found here though, many thanks to all.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:54 pm

I have to admit that I haven't been nearly as active on RC like I used to be. Big life changes in the last year for me....graduated college December of 2015, got married this past July, and adjusting from living alone to
living with my new wife and 14 year old stepdaughter. I still have a small core of copper holdings (mostly Canadian 98%), some Canadian .999 nickels, and a smaller silver stack since a couple of years ago. :shh:

Still working at the same job for the last 15.5 years. I've been distracted by the political silliness on the news and all of the current issues of the day. I'm working PLENTY of overtime to cover additional expenses that I
now have. *Sigh* :( Still glad to have a halfway decent paying job.

However, there is a bright spot. I've still kept a watchful eye on the markets in general, especially the metals. Not much movement other than sideways, although we are slowly increasing in price again.....

So...I will try and check in more frequently now, since I've gotten the itch to acquire some more shiny (at reduced prices please :mrgreen: ). I might even throw in a box of pennies to sort every now and then!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:56 pm

For me the drive to prep with copper isn't as pressing, but the stress reduction is still very useful. I keep going, and enjoy it.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppers4me » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Wise person once told me "Rich man collects gold, poor man collects lead and brass" time to clean out the closets and stack the ammo boxes!
coppers4me

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:45 pm

I've resumed more frequent posting lately. I'm in the process of reestablishing my penny and nickel hoard that I had a few years ago, plus some shiny stuff from time to time. :thumbup: I do miss the time when the forum was more active, although I don't browse each sub category that Realcent has.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:12 pm

I haven't really been focused on stacking so much the last couple years. I feel like I've done what I had to do, and I'm trying to focus more on saving money for those real live expenses that amount to quality of life improvements, spending more time with people and less online.

I did pull the trigger last week and have been to my LCS recently though, getting the itch again. Even though I know silver is the better deal, I'm about equal parts into gold lately because I can only carry so much :mrgreen:
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:49 am

Balance in our thoughts and actions is key to long-term success, happiness, and even survival. That includes relationships, stacking, and time - including on-line time. You've got it, or at least strive for it (which is all I can claim).

Specific to the original topic, from time to time people need to re-focus on other things as part of taking care of their life needs. That's a good thing.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:36 am

I went to the LCS this week. I wanted gold, but all he had was numi coins. One nice feature there is that he sells Mercs and Walkers at the common junk AG price. Since he had a nice selection of those this week I could not resist.

I've been pushing the owner to branch out from just ASE and Maples to Phils and Kangaroos as well. Therefore I felt obligated to pick up a few of the latter. Now if I can only get him to carry some Britannias. . . .
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:34 am

theo wrote:I went to the LCS this week. I wanted gold, but all he had was numi coins. One nice feature there is that he sells Mercs and Walkers at the common junk AG price. Since he had a nice selection of those this week I could not resist.

I've been pushing the owner to branch out from just ASE and Maples to Phils and Kangaroos as well. Therefore I felt obligated to pick up a few of the latter. Now if I can only get him to carry some Britannias. . . .

If you're telling him to diversify and he does it, guess you should support him! :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Well, I'm in and intend to stay. Just picked up $40 of pennies on my way into work this morning. Have also seen 2 heads up references to copper and industrial metals going up this morning. A $25 box of pennies has a melt value of almost $46 this morning. Personally, I love it when the rest of the world is contrary to my heart's desire.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby oober » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Still, here, read way more then I post.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:26 pm

oober wrote:Still, here, read way more then I post.

long time, no see. :shock: Welcome back! :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby silverflake » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Second son just got accepted to college. Will have 2 in college come fall. So, I am and have been working 2 jobs lately. Not a lot of free time to do anything, never mind post. But, I miss this board. I still drop in to read. You all may not know me too well but I always enjoy reading neilgin1, 68camaro, thogey and others. Keep it up. I will be back.

And keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 am

Ditching the penny is something Trump might do. It's an obvious cost cutting measure and he is into that.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:17 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Ditching the penny is something Trump might do. It's an obvious cost cutting measure and he is into that.

Maybe we should all write the new president with the suggestion.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby rum3002576 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:49 pm

been running the hounds here for the last 2 months and will for a couple more weeks, i should be able to get on here alot more from now on.
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 am

johnbrickner wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:Ditching the penny is something Trump might do. It's an obvious cost cutting measure and he is into that.

Maybe we should all write the new president with the suggestion.

Sounds like a good idea. We can hope.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:10 am

I basically forgot about this forum until I was looking through my favs this morning. Apparently, many others have forgot too... or they are just simply too depressed to post anymore :)
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:22 pm

I just picked up some more pennies and nickels to sort. Not sure why...something to do I guess. It's a good sign though,
as one of the ends of a penny roll shows a wheat cent on the end! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am

I guess we all spend some time traversing the dark side of the moon. Most everyone discovers they're in an elliptical orbit, though, and makes that journey only to find a renewed interest in Ag, Au, Ni and Cu. I've made this trip numerous times, but have discovered my passion for PMs re-ignites quickly after an absence.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:42 pm

I like the metaphor...
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:10 am

I was gone for a while, but ran into a girl who reminded me of 68Camaro's daughter...

Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:41 am

Love those boots and that country girl demeanor 8-)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Interesting photo - though struggling to connect it with anything familiar! :lol:
68Camaro

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals