Gold as an emergency fund?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Gold as an emergency fund?

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:30 pm

everything wrote:Over time gold will more or less follow inflation, gold earns it's keep, always has. A readily available cash reserve is a must, also comes in handy for those dips in metal prices, then you can just replenish it again.

To expand on this slightly (though with nothing that hasn't been said here before) - gold keeps pace with *real*inflation, not the bogus number manipulated by the government to minimize expenses and justify policies. So, on average, it can be relied on to backstop a retirement in a high inflation market (that doesn't mean care isn't required or that you shouldn't remain diversified).

Also, in the manipulated markets we've got now (markets as a whole are being manipulating in one form or another - or perhaps many ways - even if we don't know or agree precisely how) if you are buying the dips only, converting FRNs to gold, then you are - in effect - getting an investment return out of an asset that under normal conditions (all of history up to 1933) really shouldn't be able to be considered an investment, because you can now buy below the average, while converting a risky asset (fiat paper) to hard currency. (To do this, obviously some judgement and ability to read a trend chart is required to make sure you aren't buying during a "high" period.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:48 pm

SO back to the "Gold as an emergency fund?"

Yes, I have done it...specifically 2004 when I was out of money from my wife's cancer treatments. I had bought a half dozen oz's of gold just before Y2K...that stuff was cheap then. 4.5 years later I need the cash to pay for living expenses....liquidated just like that....at a handsome increase in value I will add!

Yes, it works...I have the three metals again in my emergency fund along with some cash.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 pm

fasteddy wrote:SO back to the "Gold as an emergency fund?"

Yes, I have done it...specifically 2004 when I was out of money from my wife's cancer treatments. I had bought a half dozen oz's of gold just before Y2K...that stuff was cheap then. 4.5 years later I need the cash to pay for living expenses....liquidated just like that....at a handsome increase in value I will add!

Thx for that real world story fasteddy. Glad it worked out for you.

Yes, it works...I have the three metals again in my emergency fund along with some cash.

:thumbup:

I'm planning on doing the same.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals