Will Debt Ceiling Resolution Lead to PM's Plunge?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Will Debt Ceiling Resolution Lead to PM's Plunge?

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 pm

68Camaro wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:and if you read this 68, i'm pissed as all get out that the AF has taken over SpaceCom..THATS BELONGS TO THE NAVY!!!! ..uh, "space SHIP"....."space VESSEL"? sure sounds Naval to me

In all the sci-fi books of my youth the fighting space was always Navy....

time to lobby bud, and turn back this INJUSTICE!!!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm betting if they pass a bill... it will head back to $35 by the end of the week. If not... $50+ by Friday. The real kicker will be when our credit rating gets lowered. THAT will cause a MAJOR upward trend. Again... WHEN it happens! Not if... it will unless this new bill has some REAL teeth in it.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Pennybug wrote:I'm betting if they pass a bill... it will head back to $35 by the end of the week. If not... $50+ by Friday. The real kicker will be when our credit rating gets lowered. THAT will cause a MAJOR upward trend. Again... WHEN it happens! Not if... it will unless this new bill has some REAL teeth in it.

We can talk short-term... But long-term...

The funny (not amusing funny) thing is, this whole debt ceiling farce has caused everyone to temporarily take their eye off the ball. Who cares about the debt ceiling really, at this point. I have my doubts about their ability to pass a balanced budget amendment. Then 2/3 of the states have to ratify. And THEN - if they are "successful" in this - it'll be 10 years of draconian cuts before it actually gets balanced. With each year we'll be continuing to add to the debt, severely. And by the end of that we'll be something like 30 trillion in debt, not the measely 14 trillion we have now. And that assumes that any one of a hundred other related calamities haven't happened by then...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Pennybug wrote:I'm betting if they pass a bill... it will head back to $35 by the end of the week. If not... $50+ by Friday. The real kicker will be when our credit rating gets lowered. THAT will cause a MAJOR upward trend. Again... WHEN it happens! Not if... it will unless this new bill has some REAL teeth in it.

NYT Headlines Scream "OBAMA AND LEADERS REACH A DEAL"

but now read the article, there's three to four potential landmines in the fine print...this is no deal, its PR to prevent a equities sell off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/us/po ... AL.html?hp
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:18 pm

68Camaro wrote:
scrapper2010 wrote:Dont want to sound like mr. optimism here but it seems like there may be some pretty deep spending cuts included with no new revenues.

Dude - these are no "cuts"! These are only reductions in the planned rate of increases!!! (I had to delete the adjectives I originally threw in here before I hit submit.)

Perhaps I misstated that, and you're right. Better put, and I haven't been following the details too awfully close, much of the spending that the dems and moderate repub's wanted were cut out of the compromise. I'm not saying it's great or wonderful news, but maybe a small step in the right direction.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:40 pm

neilgin1 wrote:

NYT Headlines Scream "OBAMA AND LEADERS REACH A DEAL"

but now read the article, there's three to four potential landmines in the fine print...this is no deal, its PR to prevent a equities sell off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/us/po ... AL.html?hp

exactly right neil

still has to get through both chambers tomorrow which seems like a longshot

pelosi herself said house democrats may not back it

no confidence here
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 pm

The news reports I've seen talk about a one trillion dollar reduction in spending over ten years. That's $100 billion a year in cuts, or reducing the annual deficit by 1/15, or 7.5%. Why even bother?

We're still 14 trillion in debt, and we're still going to be going into debt by another $1,400 billion a year. Not enough has changed to spit at.
Mike
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Will Debt Ceiling Resolution Lead to PM's Plunge?

IMO......Yes

Plunge 1-2 bucks off 40
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Silver and gold both bouncing. Lot's of uncertainty in the market.

No uncertainty here: "Buy and hold, it's going to get nasty."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 pm

these are frigging midgets down there in DC...they've ALREADY burned up in global opinion, the "Full Faith and Credit" deal...the only reason the dollars hanging together, is that its the dog with the least fleas.

if i was uber rich, the only fiat, i'd go near would be the Swiss Franc first, and the Canadian $ second, and that would only be a fifth of my wealth...the rest would be smack dab in the middle of some 3,000 acre ranch "somewhere" in the Northern hemisphere. deep down..in gold, silver.....but i aint, and glad for it.

there all balless sumsabitches. The Spirit of Washington, Jefferson, Franklin is dead.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals