PM Rally

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: PM Rally

Postby brian0918 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Gold and silver breaking higher tonight! The ratio is still stuck around 51.20, so I would expect silver to catch up by shooting higher.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slvrbck » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Tomorrow has potential to be interesting. I have noticed in many recent weeks that the larger moves up have been while the weekend was approaching
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:43 am

slvrbck wrote:Tomorrow has potential to be interesting. I have noticed in many recent weeks that the larger moves up have been while the weekend was approaching

The interests which prefer to keep the price of silver restrained are doing they're damnedest at the moment to push silver back down. Trading volume just skyrocketed, down sixty cents in one minute. :sick:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slickeast » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:44 am

They are trying with everything they have to smack silver down. Look at the charts.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby mflugher » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am

Unemployment came in at 7.8% breaking that big deal 8% number... <hold back comments about revising up next week and obama's debate showing>
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby brian0918 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Well, I guess this big explosion is delayed until next week?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:10 pm

The timing is never certain. TPTB defended 1795 gold and 35 silver repeatedly; barely knocked them down. Gold still above 1780 and silver still above 34.50. Sunday night and Monday will be interesting.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby fb101 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:36 pm

One word.
Longer.

So since I am longer, gold will open at 1600 and silver at 28 on monday.
fb101

Postby brian0918 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Silver down to 33.68, gold down to 1767.

I guess the explosion was downward. :P
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Commodities selling off a bit in Asia. We'll see how the night goes. Seems to be bouncing up already.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:43 am

68Camaro wrote:Commodities selling off a bit in Asia. We'll see how the night goes. Seems to be bouncing up already.

I take a pretty simple approach in my view of PMs. When a '64 quarter buys significantly more than a gallon of gas, it's time to be cautious. This isn't a hard and fast rule, and sometimes gas prices take unnecessary dips, but overall it has held me in good stead.

Looking at the 5-year Baltic Dry Index, we're still bouncing along at the trough from '08 and half of what we were at last year, so I don't see a quick recovery in sight. There's a good chance of a flight from fiat, but I'd expect a pretty big dip before that happens.

Overall, I'm not in a big selling mood right now, but I'm not in a big buying mood either.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:58 pm

It's always time to be cautious these days.

Your rule of thumb is interesting, but I've not seen a plot of .18*silver/gas as a function of time. Right now that's about 1.5. Both have been all over the map and I'm not sure they are that closely connected.

In 64, silver was 1.29 and yes, gas was about 25 cents, give or take. (See link below)

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=49349

Ratio then was right at 1.0, obviously (give or take a gas war, and depending on your local taxes).
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 pm

If you think about it: gas (oil) is finite. And when used it is destroyed (for the most part).

It's astonishing the prices are as stable as they are if you think about it.

Silver on the other hand is conserved a lot better when used and therefore it would stand to reason that the ratio of "how much" silver there is vs. gas (oil) would continually increase over time.

That said: Both gas and silver are likely under valued in relation to where they should be relative to the near infinite capacity to print more FRN's. So trade in those for the shiny or viscous stuff as much as you can!
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Off topic, but I saw an unsubstantiated claim today (somewhere in something I read) that half of all the oil that has ever been pumped has been consumed in the past 22 years.
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm

68Camaro wrote:Off topic, but I saw an unsubstantiated claim today (somewhere in something I read) that half of all the oil that has ever been pumped has been consumed in the past 22 years.

That sounds like it could be true. Similar to the "more people alive today then ever have died" type reasoning.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:42 pm

barrytrot wrote:If you think about it: gas (oil) is finite. And when used it is destroyed (for the most part).

It's astonishing the prices are as stable as they are if you think about it.

Silver on the other hand is conserved a lot better when used and therefore it would stand to reason that the ratio of "how much" silver there is vs. gas (oil) would continually increase over time.

That said: Both gas and silver are likely under valued in relation to where they should be relative to the near infinite capacity to print more FRN's. So trade in those for the shiny or viscous stuff as much as you can!

Oh boy... can I start offering West Texas or Brent crude barrels during my weekend sales? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:49 pm

beauanderos wrote:Oh boy... can I start offering West Texas or Brent crude barrels during my weekend sales? :lol:

Yes.
barrytrot

Postby fb101 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Rally still alive?
fb101

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:38 pm

fb101 wrote:Rally still alive?

An appropriate question. I would like to know what JFFs trends are showing now. I still believe we're still in a long-term bull run with a sharp long-term trend back up sooner than later, but since TPTB managed to stall the most recent rally, and I think will fight tooth and nail to keep things level until the election, now that we're this close to the election I will not be surprised if we move sideways with a trend down until afterwards (or until the next major other world event).
68Camaro

Postby fb101 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah, the problem is my longs are in options, which I'd like to not sit on till expiration if we ain't going to see them in the money.
fb101

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Something tells me that it's a good time to mind your risk as the USD is poised to rally, and rally quite significantly at that.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rsk1963 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:30 pm

JFF what kind of eta are we looking at?
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
Hmmm..........
Short PM's?
Long dollar?
Both?
fb101

Postby Country » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 am

USD weakening again. If this trend continues, the PM rise will resume in earnest. This might be a good time to pick up some PMs before this happens.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm

rsk1963 wrote:JFF what kind of eta are we looking at?

Sorry I wasn't here earlier. I guess the answer is obvious.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals