Silver is taking a dive

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Silver is taking a dive

Postby MO-SILVER! » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 pm

Be prepared to buy regularly. If you buy today and it goes up kep buying. If it goes down keep
buying. If it goes way down buy alot more. I don't see pouring billions of paper dollars into the economy doing anything but increasing the value of precious metals in the long term.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:42 am

Oh, all this worrying about the price fluctuations is making me smile. :) Take a guess how much I paid for my first ounce of silver? $1.40!!! Hahahaha!!! That was 1962 and I was 8 years old! I would mow lawns and get paid anywhere from $2.50 to $5.00 per lawn. I was almost always paid in silver coin. I still have a lot of that silver, so, watching it hover from $20 up to 28, then back down... so what? I am almost giddy! Silver is a wild ride. Always has been, always will be!

Like the Lone Ranger used to say: "Hi-O, SILVER!! AWAY!!!" :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:59 am

I woke up yesterday morning.........
Last edited by frugi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am

That's tough, but hey, still sounds like you're getting a better deal all round. :)

Out of interest - how on earth do you manage to find enough stuff to scrap cheap enough to do that instead of working? I'm no competition to you - I'm 2000+ miles away! :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 am

[..
Last edited by frugi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Just a thought I had...

The silver price has been very volitile this last little bit. Going sharply up then sharply down.
There has been a change. The margins were increased.
Some may think the increase of the margins caused the silver price to go down. I believe that to be true in a way.

When changes are made there are people making those changes. These changes are not thought up and then two seconds later enacted. There are many cogs in a burocracy and many eyes could probibly have read about the upcomming margin increases. These eyes could have acted on their knowledge and bought some PM's before the change took place. As the time comes closer to the change there are more eyes seeing the information.

I think people who are in the know like to profit from it when a chance arises.

When the Conservative Party in Canada announced they were going to change the laws on Income Trusts that will not allow them to be as profitable (causing their share price to go down 10% in one day) the were a few big sellers of Income Trusts leading up to that.

My old boss actually got a call telling him to sell all Income trusts 2 days before the announcement. He didnt own any at the time so he didnt have to. My dad drove home when he heard the announcement to sell and then buy 5 hours later. He made much more than he would have at work.

Just think how many people got that call a few days ago saying to buy silver before the margins increase.

I think that may have caused the increase in silver price. Theose who knew about the changes probibly have alot of available cash to purchase with. Their friends that were called also probibly have lotse of cash too. Enough to cause the silver price to rise rapidly and then fall suddenly.

That is part of what I am thinking
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:27 am

I don't know enough about the inner workings of commodities trading to try to calculate a price shift up or down. The fundamentals have not changed at all. If anything, they have only gotten better. Yes, I also expect another price dip... that is only natural, but I also expect the long term trend of commodities to go up, up, and away.

I have not heard anyone talk about the velocity of the trades going on. High velocity always makes prices go up, with erratic price swings. How about that?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 pm

I think we're seeing consolidation of SILVER around the $27 level; GOLD around $1405. I would like to see our previous gains validated by some time spent at these levels. A constructive move higher can occur if the metals base around here for a few weeks. Previous consolidations occurred for SILVER at $18 (long time spent there and a breakout in late August), $23 (some backing and filling here for a few weeks in October), and now around $27. After a couple more weeks at this level, the overbought RSI condition will disappear and a strong move upwards could occur in December. If the consolidation occurs here near the most recent highs, a BULLISH flag pattern should develop signifying that we are seeing only a pause in the intermediate uptrend before the next leg up ensues. Hopefully, the next leg up will be more like the slower September grind up, unlike the spiky move of the past week.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$silver&p=W&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p61303821656
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Country wrote:I think we're seeing consolidation of SILVER around the $27 level; GOLD around $1405. I would like to see our previous gains validated by some time spent at these levels. A constructive move higher can occur if the metals base around here for a few weeks. Previous consolidations occurred for SILVER at $18 (long time spent there and a breakout in late August), $23 (some backing and filling here for a few weeks in October), and now around $27. After a couple more weeks at this level, the overbought RSI condition will disappear and a strong move upwards could occur in December. If the consolidation occurs here near the most recent highs, a BULLISH flag pattern should develop signifying that we are seeing only a pause in the intermediate uptrend before the next leg up ensues. Hopefully, the next leg up will be more like the slower September grind up, unlike the spiky move of the past week.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$silver&p=W&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p61303821656
I agree with you... but it would be nice if this happened at $32 instead of $27 Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:27 pm

If you don't get regular pullbacks then that is how you know it is either the end of the dollar or a mania is underway and its time to sell. Pullbacks are part of a normal, healthy, bull market. It is how real price discovery happens. Imagine you are a hedge fund manager and you buy silver at $20 and see it shoot to $29 in a few weeks - you are going to take some money off the table! Thus, it drops back to $27. Then buyers come in again, then its back at $29, then more sales back to $28, then it climbs to $30! Get the picture?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby stateofmind » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:01 am

Here come's silver dive round #2.
Currently down in Asia -$0.89 or 3.22%.
What will happen with NY opens?
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:59 am

i
Last edited by frugi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:51 am

I reckon it'll be the mid- high 25 mark by close...
Scotsman in residence...

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:55 am

Hard to say, could go either way. Buying opportunity or panic mode? Probably depends if you're leveraged or not.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby TXBullion » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:38 am

Appears to be trending up , I vote what frugi said
TXBullion

Postby appjoe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 am

I see it just took another dive but is slowly climbing back. Still down $1.38 from yeterdays closes. I see all metals are down.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Ouch, this is hurting. Down $1.73 currently. Gold tanking too.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:13 pm

hmmm....how to read this.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby appjoe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:I reckon it'll be the mid- high 25 mark by close...

It looks like you may be right it's at $25.95 now.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Apparently Chinese might raise interest rates to slow inflation and industry there might start a slow down and it's
scaring people out of silver according to apmex facebook updates.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:38 pm

ouch.....if you were waiting to sell. Time to buy?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby stateofmind » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Well, here we are. Speculation is rampant that China will drop interest rates, leading to a decline in demand for commodites, including silver. This worries me, as it may negatively affect the prices of PM's in the short-mid term. Everyone here will have a chance to buy more silver at a lower price, however, when this correction is over.
Today was another high volume day, and after two up days this again could be signaling a downward trend. Expecting modest gains Monday. We wil see. Stop buying now and let the pool fill up with water before you jump in.
Current price point = $22-24
Last edited by stateofmind on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:18 pm

$27 SILVER did not hold today. IMHO, a retest of the preceeding breakout level, $23-$24, would be the logical next test. At minimum, the previous gap up at $24-$25 should be filled interday some time next week. It should go there quickly as traders always push at the support levels. That could be a good level to put some CASH to work. We'll see next week.... :|
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Ardent Listener » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 pm

stateofmind wrote:Well, here we are. Speculation is rampant that China will drop interest rates, leading to a decline in demand for commodites, including silver. This worries me, as it may negatively affect the prices of PM's in the short-mid term. Everyone here will have a chance to buy more silver at a lower price, however, when this correction is over.
Today was another high volume day, and after two up days this again could be signaling a downward trend. Expecting modest gains Monday. We wil see. Stop buying now and let the pool fill up with water before you jump in.
Current price point = $22-24

I agree. I addition, there is now pressure on the Euro again.......
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 pm

I see silver is hovering just pennies above 26 now. I'm personally pleased as it means I have more of a chance to get in. No point getting upset about the fall as it will surely go right back up again soon. :)
Scotsman in residence...

Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals