Security

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Security

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:One of the things that saved me from losing substantially more coins and PMs when my house was robbed earlier this year was not keeping it all in the same place.

Doc, i truly am sorry that happened to you. It's a terrible feeling of violation and vunerability, my prayer is that it become a distant memory. sorry bud, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:One of the things that saved me from losing substantially more coins and PMs when my house was robbed earlier this year was not keeping it all in the same place.

Doc, i truly am sorry that happened to you. It's a terrible feeling of violation and vunerability, my prayer is that it become a distant memory. sorry bud, neil

Thank you so much Niel. The amount of support (both by online communities [in particular, you, shinnosuke, and others], and my "IRL" communities) has been nothing short of awe-inspiring. It's definitely made me realize that the turd:saint ratio amongst humanity isn’t what one believes it is immediately following such an event.

All-in-all, it was a good learning experience and nothing was lost that couldn’t be replaced in some way; and above all, no one was hurt. And, of course, I find solice in the fact that some lucky RealCenter, in their searching adventures, might happen upon the large amount of wheats that were stolen :D .

-Stu
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:48 pm

IMO the Sentry safes are crap. Any jackass with a pry bar can bust them open. Anything with solid steel locking bolts on all sides of the door are the best. Take a look at Liberty. They make good safes. There are a lot of small, independent safe makers out there also. Some are better than Liberty. I am picking one up tomorrow. Had to do lots of trades and sales to get it, but my wife is very nervous having several lots of silver lying about the house.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby spcake89 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:51 pm

This is why i mainly invest in high grade rare coins i can carry my stash on me at all times in a briefcase and it not even be noticeable my laptop takes up more space than the coins would and those coins are very easily hidden. yes they can tie up a lot of capital but at the same time there a lot easier tostore and take with me but in a shtf scenario id be pretty well f'ed because they wont hold their values as they are now. thats why i only have a small hoard of coins somewhere on my property. the great part is i have about 31 acres of wooded land and few caves on that property. there is a lot of places to hide coins in the woods hollow trees doing a little landscaping in a cave if you have one basically anywhereyoucan remember youhave it now if youhavean apartment thats another scenario altogether you might be able to fing a hollow spot in the wall or something just getcreative grab an old book and make a book safe time consuming but fun.
spcake89

Postby knibloe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:08 pm

can silver melt? I have a roll of 40% halves that I got at a bank. They were all black and the edges were trashed. It appears that they were in a fire and were fused together. Very ugly, but silver is silver and they are with the rest of mny stash.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:42 pm

spcake89 wrote:This is why i mainly invest in high grade rare coins i can carry my stash on me at all times in a briefcase ...

Ouch. Let me count the ways that can go wrong...

A money belt might be a better choice, if you have to carry your stash.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals