Silver Levels of Interest

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Silver Levels of Interest

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 pm

natsb88 wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Derivatives are derived from the underlying...Exchanging for physical i.e. taking delivery is certainly an option and you don't know who has what physical supply for delivery. It is not a requirement to file your inventory position if you choose to sell(short) a contract but if assigned at expiration you are required to deliver so it is not knowable.

That bothers me a great deal. Where else, other than the financial markets, can you sign a contract agreeing to deliver a physical commodity, without having any proof that you actually own said physical commodity? I can't get a mortgage without proving there's a house, I can't rent an apartment without a cash deposit, but I can short 5000 ounces of silver without any need to prove I can deliver? Obviously the majority of contracts are settled in cash, and I would suspect the majority of those selling shorts don't have the physical silver. That just seems like a ridiculous system. If you are going to have a derivative commodities market, call it what it is - taking bets on the price of commodities. No delivery option, no delivery requirement. Just bets. This quasi-link between the derivative financials and the physical markets (intentionally, I suppose) leaves a lot of room for funny business. Futures should be fully backed by all players, in which case they would closely follow the physical market but have less influence on the supply and demand characteristics, or be a true derivative and be completely disconnected from the physical market with no options for delivery. This half-assed connection, where you have to posses the silver, but not really, is what allows the financial market to drive the physical market and speculators to play spectacular games while more often than not the true physical producers and consumers, tiny in comparison to the speculators, get the short end of the stick.

When you do get a mortgage, where do the funds from the lending institution come from? In a fractional reserve banking system, aren't you borrowing something that didn't exist until poof!...the funds magically appear against a fraction of what actually existed (a fraction of a promissory note that was also promised to be paid back with another note. Gotta love those FRN's!)
Futures contracts are not an obligation to deliver physical. If you choose to carry your position into expiration (assuming you are allowed by the FCM) you are then agreeing to buy the contract spec or deliver, depending on if you were long or short the contract. Now the FCM, not the trader is obligated to make delivery to the exchange if there is an assignment. This is a risk to the FCM. Given that most are not physical commodity brokers (imagine the infrastructure needed to deliver commodities such as soy beans, silver, ULSD, cotton, live cattle etc at specified delivery points) Given this scenario, nearly all FCM's generally prohibit contracts from going into expiration. And they do not make that a secret. Those very few that do offer delivery often require possession and/or to hold title of deliverable assets before allowing this exposure. Their clients are understandably large commercial operations. Typically, if someone notifies the FCM that says they do not permit delivery, they may make exceptions and make arrangements on a per case basis to arrange to make or take delivery. However, as stated before, the futures market due to basis diffs and logistics is generally a less than attractive portal for procurement. Most all traders use the market as a derivative, even though there is an EFP possibility at expiration. An added note, not all small specs are directional traders. Some are hedging their own physical stack or mining claim etc.

Selling short or buying long, with or without physical ownership does not in any way mean you will somehow have a profitable outcome. Price is price and settlement prices are very real to account balances large and small.
Cheers!
Last edited by Jonflyfish on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:Silver isn't any more volatile than it has ever been over hundreds of years.

There were algo-powered flash crashes in the 1800's? :shock:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Engineer wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Silver isn't any more volatile than it has ever been over hundreds of years.

There were algo-powered flash crashes in the 1800's? :shock:

Take a look at the historical charts. Truth in price.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:01 am

Jonflyfish wrote:That diatribe about me was most epic and hilarious. There are some serious intolerance and hate issues, not to mention the previously admitted substance abuses.
Was a tremendous effort there by someone who spins and twists words of others. Non-factual, jovial frolic by someone who posts the most lengthy dwarfing posts of all members here, regularly with little to no relevant subject content. Most everything posted could be reversed like a mirror and sent back to the source. I do wonder how much he gets paid to attack others, especially after joining this forum nearly two full years after i did and yet have more posts than I by 200+. Now that ill minded campaign is at a near total loss. Some serious issues with that intolerant troll.

Cheers!

I stand by everything I wrote, but don't fret; you "win". I requested my acct be deleted as soon as humanly possible....no more social media for me in this day and age of "total coverage". Good luck Jon, when it all collapses.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:33 am

68Camaro wrote:By another name, it's called gambling. Except that in the real world of gambling if you fail to pay, they shoot you in the kneecap, then kill your family, before they tie an anchor to your ankles and throw you in the bay.

this from Ranting Andy:

The average derivative/asset ratio at the top 3 banks (JPM, Citi, BofA) as of Q1 stands at 37.6x. This is higher than the average leverage ratio (32x) of Lehman, Bear Stearns and Merrill Lynch leading up to the 2008-09 recession. The average exposure of these 3 banks to interest rate contracts (% of total derivatives) is 78.7%. A mere 0.1% loss on interest rate derivative contracts would send these banks reeling, a 3.5% loss would wipe out all of their assets, and a 10% loss would exceed all US Commercial Bank Assets combined.

The derivative implosion in 2008-09 was largely confined to Credit Derivatives, which globally as of Q1 stand at $25 trillion, down from $58.2 trillion in Q4 2007 (note: US Commercial Banks still have $13.9 trillion in credit derivatives on their books...which is $213 billion more than their total combined assets). Interest rate derivatives are 17.6x this number which, under higher rates, could make this the largest financial bubble to burst in history. In sum, if interest rates continue to rise, the global banking system will likely be under unprecedented stress with failures virtually guaranteed. :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Jonflyfish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 am

beauanderos wrote:
68Camaro wrote:By another name, it's called gambling. Except that in the real world of gambling if you fail to pay, they shoot you in the kneecap, then kill your family, before they tie an anchor to your ankles and throw you in the bay.

this from Ranting Andy:

The average derivative/asset ratio at the top 3 banks (JPM, Citi, BofA) as of Q1 stands at 37.6x. This is higher than the average leverage ratio (32x) of Lehman, Bear Stearns and Merrill Lynch leading up to the 2008-09 recession. The average exposure of these 3 banks to interest rate contracts (% of total derivatives) is 78.7%. A mere 0.1% loss on interest rate derivative contracts would send these banks reeling, a 3.5% loss would wipe out all of their assets, and a 10% loss would exceed all US Commercial Bank Assets combined.

The derivative implosion in 2008-09 was largely confined to Credit Derivatives, which globally as of Q1 stand at $25 trillion, down from $58.2 trillion in Q4 2007 (note: US Commercial Banks still have $13.9 trillion in credit derivatives on their books...which is $213 billion more than their total combined assets). Interest rate derivatives are 17.6x this number which, under higher rates, could make this the largest financial bubble to burst in history. In sum, if interest rates continue to rise, the global banking system will likely be under unprecedented stress with failures virtually guaranteed. :shock:

Interesting information- thanks for sharing. Do you happen to know their net exposure (i.e. long - short), VaR? (Value at Risk) , tenor and duration structure (does that exposure naturally decrease to zero by tomorrow, next year, 30 yrs without any new trades to layoff or offset?)
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Member » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:17 am

wow..I'm so outta my league
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Copper Member wrote:wow..I'm so outta my league

Copper.....don't even think that. this hump, this bankster errand boy, flashing his arcane verbiage, words, IS by implication, insulting EVERYBODY's intelligence....NOBODY REALLY knew the TRUE value of derivatives, because of three men, who wanted to keep that market....derivatives "black" and out of sight of ANY decent regulation, Greenspan, Rubin, Summers. In 1996-98, the brave CFTC commissioner, Brooksley Born WARNED about this looming disaster, if you have an hour, here's a very good concise, interesting, (but infuriating) 60 minute Frontline on the whole farce, entitled "The Warning"...you wont be bored.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1302794657/
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Member » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:44 pm

I take "opinions" with a grain of salt. That being said, I don't understand the jargon here and that makes me feel dumb.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:46 pm

To all the main posters on this thread. I for one am just a novice to the workings of the precious metals markets and I am doing my best to became a more informed person when it comes to why the markets do what they do. To do this I read as much as possible from all posters involved. Now I would hate to see one person or another leave this site because they don't agree what is being said from a member. So please don't cheat the ones that are learning from getting the full spectrum of ever ones thought. There's much to be learned from posters, ones that contribute greatly to the seldom poster. Just my two cents!
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:06 pm

It seems that every time silver sells off, the temper flares with certain attention starved ego-centric types desperate to unleash their ardent troll rage laced with making ridiculous character assertions against others (whom they know not) when things don't work out in their favor (and history shows a pattern of epic failures in their life).
Those who take a much more pragmatic view about the market and life, accept truth in price and use it to their advantage. Tranquility, abundance, and success from following a systematic strategy with precision tactics while having a laser focus on discipline. Some folks love to hate those who win and somehow feel better about their dreary world by saying the most entertaining falsehoods about others. They lack integrity and moral character but its easier to garner attention from their gutter minded efforts. So even when they call it quits they carry on.
Here's to hoping they clean up their minds and lives (detox included)

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Beautifully smooth actionable price transitions.
Cheers!

Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Apologies if the prior image is too large and cuts off the scale on your screen (depending on screen size)
Here is a smaller chart-

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smackvay » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Copper Member wrote:wow..I'm so outta my league

I just try to read what is written and learn one thing a day from these type of threads :thumbup:
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:41 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:That diatribe about me was most epic and hilarious. There are some serious intolerance and hate issues, not to mention the previously admitted substance abuses.
Was a tremendous effort there by someone who spins and twists words of others. Non-factual, jovial frolic by someone who posts the most lengthy dwarfing posts of all members here, regularly with little to no relevant subject content. Most everything posted could be reversed like a mirror and sent back to the source. I do wonder how much he gets paid to attack others, especially after joining this forum nearly two full years after i did and yet have more posts than I by 200+. Now that ill minded campaign is at a near total loss. Some serious issues with that intolerant troll.

Cheers!

I stand by everything I wrote, but don't fret; you "win". I requested my acct be deleted as soon as humanly possible....no more social media for me in this day and age of "total coverage". Good luck Jon, when it all collapses.

Jonny Fly.....no, I aint letting a little man like you chase me off the last discussion forum I really like....so kiss my mistletoe.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:It seems that every time silver sells off, the temper flares with certain attention starved ego-centric types desperate to unleash their ardent troll rage laced with making ridiculous character assertions against others (whom they know not) when things don't work out in their favor (and history shows a pattern of epic failures in their life).

Cheers!

I'm confused. Is he talking about Neil or himself?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slvrbck » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:41 pm

If im reading it right I believe that was meant to be about himself
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Engineer wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:It seems that every time silver sells off, the temper flares with certain attention starved ego-centric types desperate to unleash their ardent troll rage laced with making ridiculous character assertions against others (whom they know not) when things don't work out in their favor (and history shows a pattern of epic failures in their life).

Cheers!

lulz....what?....the latter....know what funny?...if that dumb prick knew who I am.....coz I believe he haunts Chicago at times, he's have to stuff that "epic failure" line right up his goo.....see, guys like him?.....their self esteem is SO low, they HAVE to brag and boast on forums, where guys who don't have esteem issues and have accomplishments....don't feel that need....y'know? why brag?......put it this way, early 50's and i'm retired...must have done something right.

for future's sake.....i'm "Israel".....he's the "Palestinian's"....nuff said
Last edited by neilgin1 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:54 pm

slvrbck wrote:If im reading it right I believe that was meant to be about himself

word.......the guy has quite a fan club. People aren't stupid Jonny Fly, like you think they are.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Engineer wrote:

Cheers!

Shouldn't be to hard to see who the troll is that randomly pops in on my threads calling me names and dogmatically carrying on with a diatribe about the hate and intolerance someone has towards my differing non-Armageddonist perspectives. The pathetic part is that he carries on suggesting false inflammatory ridiculous characterizations about someone he knows nothing about (but of course says he does- falsely). The most amusing aspect is that I talk about the markets and he refutes my ideas by flippantly making inflammatory and derogatory comments about me. It's pathetic.
I respect various opinions that each member here has who contributes with constructive dialog. When someone randomly pops in the thread to troll and disrupt it really sucks for everyone.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Cheers!

Shouldn't be to hard to see who the troll is that randomly pops in on my threads calling me names and dogmatically carrying on with a diatribe about the hate and intolerance someone has towards my differing non-Armageddonist perspectives. The pathetic part is that he carries on suggesting false inflammatory ridiculous characterizations about someone he knows nothing about (but of course says he does- falsely). The most amusing aspect is that I talk about the markets and he refutes my ideas by flippantly making inflammatory and derogatory comments about me. It's pathetic.
I respect various opinions that each member here has who contributes with constructive dialog. When someone randomly pops in the thread to troll and disrupt it really sucks for everyone.

Cheers!

tell ya what...here's a proposal; lets have a poll slash vote: the question, who do you want OFF this forum?

three choices

1. Neil

2. Jon Fly Fish

3. Neither, both stay.

I love Liberty, democracy, freedom...if they vote me off, I will leave without any rancor....if they vote "neither", I will never answer or have any dialogue with you.

so what do say?......i'll see if anybody else wants to set this poll/vote up.

that should settle things.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:48 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
tell ya what...here's a proposal; lets have a poll slash vote: the question, who do you want OFF this forum?

three choices

1. Neil

2. Jon Fly Fish

3. Neither, both stay.

I love Liberty, democracy, freedom...if they vote me off, I will leave without any rancor....if they vote "neither", I will never answer or have any dialogue with you.

:lol:

this aint grade school

we're all (mostly) men here

both of you seem to know a lot about things I know very little of

your arguments back and forth help me see from different angles

which of you - if either - is being truthful is up to me to research and decide

this forum isn't always gonna go the way we want -- just like real life

keep on posting guys

if folks don't like what you type they'll foe ya :thumbup:

theres members whose posts bug me at times, but theres not a single member i'd like to see leave this forum
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:06 am

aloneibreak wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:

three choices

1. Neil

2. Jon Fly Fish

3. Neither, both stay.

this aint grade school

we're all (mostly) men here

both of you seem to know a lot about things I know very little of

your arguments back and forth help me see from different angles

which of you - if either - is being truthful is up to me to research and decide

this forum isn't always gonna go the way we want -- just like real life

keep on posting guys

if folks don't like what you type they'll foe ya :thumbup:

theres members whose posts bug me at times, but theres not a single member i'd like to see leave this forum

wise words, you're right....this aint grade school.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am

aloneibreak wrote:

this aint grade school

+1! Said I won't reply to the troll. Troll said that he was done disrupting with his ire and drunken diatribe rants then continued interrupting the thread with ego-centric campaigns like an attention starved grade school delinquent. It's simply pathetic. I've been posting about the market and market related items and the Troll keeps popping up with ill intended gutter bombs and backing up his need for attention with the "I'm the big man who has done it all" qualifications. If folks simply kept the content relevant with respectful varying perspectives instead of lurking for a chance to jump out and disrupt with vile hate mongering, all would be peaceful around here. Instead we have an ego-centric grade school minded individual, who is attention starved so he chooses to ardently Troll and regularly disrupts this and other threads with his jovial frolic as a way to campaign and garner "popularity votes" (although I hear running negative campaigns filled with false accusations, character assaults filled with lies etc has proven to be very effective way to win votes within our current society) and then asks to take a vote. That investment really is in the skids.

Folks ought to be free to share and share alike about their various perspectives related to "Base Metal & Precious Metals Forum" here without the trolling "You know what you blankety blank..." posts whenever someone expresses an opinion that someone else simply can't tolerate and feels obligated to disrupt the forum with their pointless attacks, diatribes, and soliloquies about suicide and substance abuse etc etc ad nauseam.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:47 am

Market levels profile update. Looks like the market still respects high value volume clusters.
The range has been filling and back-filling quite a bit. Wouldn't be surprised to see a breakout coming relatively soon out of this value cluster.
Cheers!

Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals