This might make you SERIOUSLY RECONSIDER 'BITCOINS'

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: This might make you SERIOUSLY RECONSIDER 'BITCOINS'

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:54 am

It looks like the top this time was yesterday at $900 on Mt. Gox. I sold jerky around $410 - $450 to 13 BTC customers. This morning it is still more than that, so far. I cashed out about 65% of the BTC almost immediately after the sales to pay for postage and jerky, but let my net gain on the sales ride at risk. That seems the most prudent way to deal with the volatility when selling products.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am

johnbrickner wrote:That being said, I now put bitcoins in the same category I did "Magic the Gathering". They will flourish because I don't see a future in them.

Validation: http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/18/investi ... ?iid=HP_LN
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:It looks like the top this time was yesterday at $900 on Mt. Gox. I sold jerky around $410 - $450 to 13 BTC customers. This morning it is still more than that, so far. I cashed out about 65% of the BTC almost immediately after the sales to pay for postage and jerky, but let my net gain on the sales ride at risk. That seems the most prudent way to deal with the volatility when selling products.

That sounds like a smart approach.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:02 pm

I've been looking at bitcoins and thinking about them for a while and I just absolutely can not decide what I think about them. Alternative currency? I like. Internet based currency? Not sure about that. Government doesn't like it? I like it. Doesn't seem backed by anything and has no intrinsic value? Don't like it.

It's an interesting concept and a potentially great investment. But I can't help but feel like (as with most things), I missed my opportunity to get in on the ground floor (or any of the first 5 floors) and make money. I'm sure there is money to be made here, but I don't think I'm going to be the guy who makes it.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:05 pm

I see a lot of issues with Bitcoin. For starters it explodes to 900 and then loses nearly 50% in under 24 hours. Now it's up around $600. That alone is enough to make me not want to dive in.
Next MTGOX has been hacked. And other sites have just disappeared. I still don't really trust the security yet.
Lastly buying and selling. I'm not sure exactly how easy it is to buy or sell, but it does take a long time to get the money back once you sell out.

There's way too many variables out there on this right now.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:26 pm

JobIII wrote:I see a lot of issues with Bitcoin. For starters it explodes to 900 and then loses nearly 50% in under 24 hours. Now it's up around $600. That alone is enough to make me not want to dive in.
Next MTGOX has been hacked. And other sites have just disappeared. I still don't really trust the security yet.
Lastly buying and selling. I'm not sure exactly how easy it is to buy or sell, but it does take a long time to get the money back once you sell out.

There's way too many variables out there on this right now.

Look at companies like:

Google, Apple, several others

Silver? Anyone remember hitting $49.50 a couple years back?

Similar trading patterns when "huge events" happen.

So dropping a ton quickly after a lava spike happens.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernicus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 am

Bitcoin value exceeds $1000 today. Bubble getting more air? Or is it the new internet?
coppernicus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 pm

coppernicus wrote:Bitcoin value exceeds $1000 today. Bubble getting more air? Or is it the new internet?

First came the QQ Coin (and likely others before that), then BitCoin, then LiteCoin, and then what? Digital currency has proven itself a viable alternative to the failing fiat system (so far), and as such more competition is inevitable. BitCoin has the lion's share currently, but as soon as a better alternative comes along all the speculators will dash into the next big profit seeking venture. There is a middle ground to be had somewhere, and we have a long way to go. I don't think digital currency in general is in a bubble, but I do consider the current iterations of it to be, with the pool of money allocated facing dispersion among an increasing number of competing currencies. That's not to say there isn't a lot of labor free money to be made (the parasitic nature of our financial system propagated to a method the masses can take advantage of will only make things worse), but my gut says this is a frothy brew.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm

coppernicus wrote:Bitcoin value exceeds $1000 today. Bubble getting more air? Or is it the new internet?

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/11/27/bitcoin-passes-1000-mark-first-time/
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:26 pm

hobo finds

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:52 am

hobo finds wrote:http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/28/21654552-it-worker-throws-out-hard-drive-loses-75-million-bitcoin-fortune?lite=

:o :o

Ouch. I'm kicking myself a little for not picking up a few of these back when i first thought about it, but I'm definitely not kicking myself as much as that guy.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:50 am

hobo finds wrote:http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/28/21654552-it-worker-throws-out-hard-drive-loses-75-million-bitcoin-fortune?lite=

:o :o

People throw old electronics away? ?_?

Excluding the one computer that got stolen I still have every computer (and part
thereof) that I've ever bought or been given going right back to my first VIC-20!
(Never know when you'll want to get something off of a datasette tape. ^_-)

Of course that would explain why I'm running out of space in my house... :0
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Bitcoin worth more than gold!!! :shock: At least for a short while.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-29/bitcoin-now-worth-more-gold
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby CardsNCoins » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:10 pm

I did very well on litecoins.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:32 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:I did very well on litecoins.

Good for you Nick!! I was going to buy some a week or so ago, then they took off too much and decided against it. They went from $7 to $45 while I was debating. But, should they go back to $7 (or lower) anytime in the future, I am sure I will step in. They are currently at $32.35
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

hobo finds

Postby tedandcam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 am

hobo finds wrote:Look at this one... http://now.msn.com/kid-holding-send-bit ... -donations

Gotta hand it to this young man. Very creative!
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby FatherRosado » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Well bitcoins don't really work like real currency yet but it's been the easiest fastest fundraiser my parish has had.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 pm

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Astonishing how little this has caused the price to be reduced at other exchanges. I would be short-term very bearish.
barrytrot

Postby dannan14 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 pm

barrytrot wrote:Astonishing how little this has caused the price to be reduced at other exchanges. I would be short-term very bearish.

People trading at other exchanges have considered Gox to be done for weeks...i think we've already seen nearly all of that price reduction.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:39 am

Imagine creation of a so-called electronic currency that was designed by its creators with a hidden backdoor that would allow them to insert a later virus with which they could skim off a percentage for years before they were found out.

Wait - maybe it's already been done!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby theo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 am

barrytrot wrote:Astonishing how little this has caused the price to be reduced at other exchanges. I would be short-term very bearish.

Perhaps Mt Gox was a one-time occurance, but until traders at others exchanges are convinced of that, Bitcoin will be under pressure.

68Camaro wrote:Imagine creation of a so-called electronic currency that was designed by its creators with a hidden backdoor that would allow them to insert a later virus with which they could skim off a percentage for years before they were found out.

Yes, they have. Its called the U.S. Dollar. The back door is inflation and the virus is fractional reserve banking.

In all seriousness. I see your point.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dannan14 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:28 pm

68Camaro wrote:Imagine creation of a so-called electronic currency that was designed by its creators with a hidden backdoor that would allow them to insert a later virus with which they could skim off a percentage for years before they were found out.

Except it's an open source code so the chances of any backdoor remaining hidden is fairly slim...my guess is the backdoor or virus was solely in Gox's system. But seriously...3/4 of a million BTC? How could they not notice that? Makes me very suspicious of McCaleb and/or Karpeles...they obviously wouldn't even need a Swiss or Cayman bank account to hide it all!
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:06 pm

hobo finds

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals