PM's... when would you sell out?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: PM's... when would you sell out?

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Thogey wrote:Back on topic.

At $75/oz for Ag I sell it all

I'm good. The cash goes into other hard asests

Cappy, you gotta go the way you're led, but may your humble shipmate suggest a wee adjustment to your coordinates?

sell half, stash the other, forgive my audacity. neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 pm

$75/ounce might be about the level when the public starts getting in. Bring it on...
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 pm

I cannot see any reason to move from PM to any other asset. The dollar is going to go down relative to almost everything, so that's out. Other assets? They are not liquid enough to be useful. Not to exchange for all my PM, anyhow.

The only way the dollar can be saved is a total stopping of the presses, in all forms. Then I move from PM to paper. "Ain't hap'nen."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wbeck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:09 am

Well, I was really wanting to respond to the off topic stuff last night, but there was the get back on topic post... But since it's a bit derailed again...

My 2 cents is that the Fed needs to be reigned in properly first. No matter what you're going to do it needs to be over a long period of time, and very carefully. Fix the fiat first... THEN however I do believe we could go back to being backed. It would require us using gold, silver, and then probably to supplement platinum, copper, and maybe others. The whole thing is that the whole world can't be backed... BUT the US, as the worlds reserve currency, certainly could be. The way you could make it work is not to be 100 percent backed, but merely redeemable, and perhaps with REQUIRED (and stuck to) rules as far as maintaining a minimum amount of backing. Say 90, or 75 percent or whatever. With a hybrid system one could keep the theoretical benefit of fiat, which is being able to add money when needed, but remove the total collapse, or with 90 percent, even anything above 10% devaluation!

I could ramble for eons and ways to skin the cat, but I do still think we should figure out a system involving PM backing if we ever actually want to straighten things out.

As for the SHTF thing... While there will be thuggery, physical size is less important than being sharp, and a good shot! I'm only 5'9" and skinny as a rail, but short of a first fight I'd choose myself in almost any hairy situation I can imagine vs all the big guys I know. Also, while thieving might rise and fall during tumoltuous times, in the end even in a really bad situation, people tend to restore minimum levels of order. You simply have to to continue to survive. In the olden days your country might be invaded, conquered, and pillaged... Locals might even take advantage to do a little pillaging of their own, but in time things get half way back to normal.
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:21 am

Diggin4copper wrote:I had a great plan.. with the run up over the past 5 yrs, I sold a portion and bought a boat. (fill in the rest) :lol:

A boat is nothing but a hole in the water you throw money into. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals