SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$43, NOW $44+

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$38, NOW $39+

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri May 13, 2011 6:07 am

the comex and lbma are fractionally reserved perhaps 100 - 1. it makes sense that if there was no paper the price of physical would be higher. but there is paper and there will be paper until there is no more paper. you can't invent an assumption that is not realistic. so jonny and treetop are both right in my book, but just have different time outlooks.

ultimately, the value of gold, silver, etc. depends on what is money. when enough people lose faith in paper, then treetop's questions become relevant. until then every trick in the book will be used to retain what confidence remains. margin hikes, stock market crashes, oil supply disruptions, war, disease, etc.

p.s. certain market participants prefer paper because it is more convenient and offers them leverage. they'll continue to prefer it so long as the have confidence in the paper. things like confidence are very difficult to predict and are only indirectly tied to objective measures like supply and demand, etc.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby timmus0382 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:24 am

I doubt we will ever see a time where paper isn’t used, the next step if there is a fiat collapse would most likely be the return to a partial PM backed standard. I can’t see the market going away or digital transactions going away. However if that were the case it would be all REM for us. I don't think the population is ready or willing for such a change. Can you guys really imagine having to lug around silver and gold to make transactions? We would be sent back to the 1500's. No, I am sure there is something better on the horizon but we will have to go through a brief period of painful transition. Save our nation, Ron Paul/Chris Christie 2012?
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 13, 2011 6:36 am

It's that time of day... silver takes a dive. If you could be sure on a given day that the big boys were going to do this, would be easy to follow along.

Managed to bottom feed on ebay and pick up a couple more rolls of circulated halves for 25x... If there is a good thing about this, it's that. There aren't that many bargins out there, yet, but a few pop up now and then.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Fri May 13, 2011 7:48 am

68Camaro wrote:Managed to bottom feed on ebay and pick up a couple more rolls of circulated halves for 25x...

I now christen you with your new Indian name... Chief Strong Hands :D :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Market Harmony » Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 am

Good to see the buy low, sell high mentality
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby aristobolus » Fri May 13, 2011 9:06 am

68Camaro wrote:It's that time of day... silver takes a dive. If you could be sure on a given day that the big boys were going to do this, would be easy to follow along.

Managed to bottom feed on ebay and pick up a couple more rolls of circulated halves for 25x... If there is a good thing about this, it's that. There aren't that many bargins out there, yet, but a few pop up now and then.

Perhaps $32 - $36 is the New Normal for a while; not a bad temporary plateau!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 am

68Camaro wrote:It's that time of day... silver takes a dive. If you could be sure on a given day that the big boys were going to do this, would be easy to follow along.

I wouldn't exactly call it cheap, but I grabbed an ASE last night for $41.67 shipped off of Ebay - still $6+ over spot, but it was about as low as I've seen lately.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Still more hard ebay searching. Takes awhile. Bargins are 1 in 10,000. Found another 2 rolls at 25x, ad 4 more rolls at 23x, an estate sale.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby gojomoso » Sat May 14, 2011 5:38 pm

68Camaro wrote:Still more hard ebay searching. Takes awhile. Bargins are 1 in 10,000. Found another 2 rolls at 25x, ad 4 more rolls at 23x, an estate sale.

https://www.silvertowne.com/product.asp?id=4405
idk if its a deal but it is defiantly cheaper than the avg 45 silver is going for right now on feebay
user: ed_vantage17 showed me it
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby timmus0382 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Now that silver is sideways this thread has gotten very quiet. How about some talk on where you guys see spot trending over the next couple weeks. This is a strange time as QE2 is ending, the debt ceiling has been reached, there are talks of hitting up govt employees pension plans until August, IMF head sleeping with maids... Will all these unknowns just further prolong a steady price between $32 and $35? What are the big factors that can cause another leg down to the $28 mark or another leg up to the $40 mark? It seems to me like we are just one announcement away from some big changes.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 pm

I would like to see $48 again. I was going to sell off part of my stack at that price to move frn's into another commodity. Guess I am in a holding pattern now. Who knows where it will go. If it hits $25 or lower I will just buy more. For me this range is tough to buy or sell in.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby frugi » Sat May 21, 2011 9:11 pm

bought 11 ozt. today. I take EVERY SINGLE opportunity I can, to change my FRN's in for silver & gold, but mostly silver. Buy with the idea that you will die and your heirs will throw it away, you won't care you will be dead. Either way silver is a deal at any price under $100.00/ozt. , again I take every opportunity to change my FRN's for silver, every chance. SIlver can drop to $3.75/ozt. and I am fine with it, please Lord Jesus Christ let that happen! Amen. I buy with the intent to leave to my heirs. any price under $100.00 is a deal...I plan to live another 60 years so, by that time silver should be $1000.00 an ounce or so. If i am alive when it hits $250.00/ozt. I will liquidate 1/2 of my hoard, invest in land, and bury the rest, I have it all worked out.........a treasure map leading to all the goodies, that should give the kiddos something to do or not to do.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Sat May 21, 2011 9:14 pm

frugi, send me a copy of the map, I'll go dig it up.
slickeast

Postby shinnosuke » Sat May 21, 2011 10:35 pm

slickeast, send me your address and post here after you dug frugi's stuff up.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Sun May 22, 2011 8:24 pm

this could actually be really fun.....................here is an idea.......all you need is a couple of acres, and people to believe you are honest...................................................advertise as a treasure hunt..claim you buried gold, silver, copper, diamonds, whatever, rolex's, Craftsman tools, ...............no maps, but maybe metal detectors are allowed or sonar devices, shovels, picks, whatever. Keep a public list showing what is buried somewhere on the property, keep track (to an extent) of what is found.........charge people say, $20.00 per 15 minutes of search time. The more property you have the better your odds would be of not having all the gold and silver found in one day. You can always replenish the grounds with new goodies...............this is a great idea! It could be the new theme park, hell you could rent them the metal detectors for $100.00 per hour, only available in 1 hour increments forcing them to buy a full hour on your 100 acres, at a total of $180.00 per hour....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Luoganta » Mon May 23, 2011 4:18 am

Or to not ruin the items put metal tags in the ground. When you find a tag you can bring it back to be given your prize. Then a night crew puts it back in a new location. You could even dig everything up and change the location of everything every week. You don't even have to have the prizes be PM's at all.

As for the time limit thing you could give people timed detectors...Kinda like a slide your credit card for 20min type of deal. That way you get them out there let them find a thing or two then the 'thrill of the hunt' takes over and they keep spending.

move over mini golf?
Luoganta
Penny Sorter Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:07 am

frugi wrote:this could actually be really fun.....................here is an idea.......all you need is a couple of acres, and people to believe you are honest...................................................advertise as a treasure hunt..claim you buried gold, silver, copper, diamonds, whatever, rolex's, Craftsman tools, ...............no maps, but maybe metal detectors are allowed or sonar devices, shovels, picks, whatever. Keep a public list showing what is buried somewhere on the property, keep track (to an extent) of what is found.........charge people say, $20.00 per 15 minutes of search time. The more property you have the better your odds would be of not having all the gold and silver found in one day. You can always replenish the grounds with new goodies...............this is a great idea! It could be the new theme park, hell you could rent them the metal detectors for $100.00 per hour, only available in 1 hour increments forcing them to buy a full hour on your 100 acres, at a total of $180.00 per hour....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dude, this is genius. I'm serious people would go nuts over this. Could you imagine? Kids would love it, adults would love it, hell teens might even get a kick out of it. You could call it........Treasure Island. Sell Dip-n-Dots. Balloons. Have clowns there!! Okay maybe not clowns.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 23, 2011 8:45 am

scrapper2010 wrote:
frugi wrote:this could actually be really fun.....................here is an idea.......all you need is a couple of acres, and people to believe you are honest...................................................advertise as a treasure hunt..claim you buried gold, silver, copper, diamonds, whatever, rolex's, Craftsman tools, ...............no maps, but maybe metal detectors are allowed or sonar devices, shovels, picks, whatever. Keep a public list showing what is buried somewhere on the property, keep track (to an extent) of what is found.........charge people say, $20.00 per 15 minutes of search time. The more property you have the better your odds would be of not having all the gold and silver found in one day. You can always replenish the grounds with new goodies...............this is a great idea! It could be the new theme park, hell you could rent them the metal detectors for $100.00 per hour, only available in 1 hour increments forcing them to buy a full hour on your 100 acres, at a total of $180.00 per hour....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dude, this is genius. I'm serious people would go nuts over this. Could you imagine? Kids would love it, adults would love it, hell teens might even get a kick out of it. You could call it........Treasure Island. Sell Dip-n-Dots. Balloons. Have clowns there!! Okay maybe not clowns.

If no clowns, I hear Ronald McDonald is looking for work.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DeanStockwell » Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Dollar up big recently and silver has stayed flat...gold up today while silver down. We will probably see a big drop in silver tomorrow or later in the week.
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Tue May 24, 2011 9:06 am

DeanStockwell wrote:Dollar up big recently and silver has stayed flat...gold up today while silver down. We will probably see a big drop in silver tomorrow or later in the week.

Today doesn't look good for your prediction.
slickeast

Postby DeanStockwell » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Oh well, I'm not playing in silver mainly because the markets seem so irrational, today just proves that
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 am

DeanStockwell wrote:Oh well, I'm not playing in silver mainly because the markets seem so irrational, today just proves that

You're not playing in silver? What happened to all those hundred ounce bars you bought?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Market Harmony » Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 am

beauanderos wrote:
DeanStockwell wrote:Oh well, I'm not playing in silver mainly because the markets seem so irrational, today just proves that

You're not playing in silver? What happened to all those hundred ounce bars you bought?

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby brian0918 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:48 am

beauanderos wrote:

Maybe they didn't fit well into his rationalistic trading models, so he decided to trade them for some green toilet paper. ;)
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DeanStockwell » Wed May 25, 2011 4:03 pm

I don't equate physical purchases for capital preservation with playing in paper
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals