SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$43, NOW $44+

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$38, NOW $39+

Postby beauanderos » Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

DeanStockwell wrote:I don't equate physical purchases for capital preservation with playing in paper

At last we agree on something. Physical is like that old Coke commercial "It's the Real Thing!" :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slickeast » Thu May 26, 2011 4:15 am

slickeast wrote:
DeanStockwell wrote:Dollar up big recently and silver has stayed flat...gold up today while silver down. We will probably see a big drop in silver tomorrow or later in the week.

Today doesn't look good for your prediction.

Someone just chopped silvers legs off.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Thu May 26, 2011 4:46 am

Looks like they were only able to take it down to yesterday's price. Maybe not done, but if that was the best they could do, it was a weak crush.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby slickeast » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 pm

It is nice to see silver holding in the mid $30 range. Last year we were only dreaming about these levels. I wonder what we will be saying about $35 NEXT YEAR?
slickeast

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:31 am

Jun 13, 2011 12:25 35.16
Jun 13, 2011 12:27 35.10

And I'm free...free-fallin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Frankly, while I am loving the relatively** lower prices (I continue to buy physical), and the JPM-driving market cycling (I have my JPM-pump money-printing machine working for the second cycle), I have my doubts that this will continue more than one or two more cycles. Demand for physical is building a stronger and stronger base in the low-to-mid 30s and I believe it won't go more than one or two more cycles before it breaks back out into the 40s and tests 50 again. And I think JPM has no more than a 50-50 chance of squelching the next strong run-up to 50; so it could break-out past 50 this second time.

**I happened to look in my historical files last night and was reminded of what I was paying just two short years ago. FV at $9. Was a bit sickened at what I could have gotten then, if I hadn't been so fussy about getting a "bargin". I'm a bit less so now.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm

68Camaro wrote:... I was paying just two short years ago. FV at $9. Was a bit sickened at what I could have gotten then, if I hadn't been so fussy about getting a "bargin". I'm a bit less so now.

I think everyone was short-sighted at that time. If I had known how fast and how high POS was going to go, I have made moves to ensure that I never work another day of my life :mrgreen:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:45 pm

68Camaro wrote:Frankly, while I am loving the relatively** lower prices (I continue to buy physical), and the JPM-driving market cycling (I have my JPM-pump money-printing machine working for the second cycle), I have my doubts that this will continue more than one or two more cycles. Demand for physical is building a stronger and stronger base in the low-to-mid 30s and I believe it won't go more than one or two more cycles before it breaks back out into the 40s and tests 50 again. And I think JPM has no more than a 50-50 chance of squelching the next strong run-up to 50; so it could break-out past 50 this second time.

**I happened to look in my historical files last night and was reminded of what I was paying just two short years ago. FV at $9. Was a bit sickened at what I could have gotten then, if I hadn't been so fussy about getting a "bargin". I'm a bit less so now.

Yep, the FRNs you're using now are worth a lot less than they were 2 short years ago so no need to be fussy. Spend 'em if you got 'em.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Market Harmony wrote:
68Camaro wrote:... I was paying just two short years ago. FV at $9. Was a bit sickened at what I could have gotten then, if I hadn't been so fussy about getting a "bargin". I'm a bit less so now.

I think everyone was short-sighted at that time. If I had known how fast and how high POS was going to go, I have made moves to ensure that I never work another day of my life :mrgreen:

Oh, you'd be working, alright. Workin' the beach or workin' the ski slopes or workin' a trip to Venice. :D
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:56 pm

68Camaro wrote:Frankly, while I am loving the relatively** lower prices (I continue to buy physical), and the JPM-driving market cycling (I have my JPM-pump money-printing machine working for the second cycle), I have my doubts that this will continue more than one or two more cycles. Demand for physical is building a stronger and stronger base in the low-to-mid 30s and I believe it won't go more than one or two more cycles before it breaks back out into the 40s and tests 50 again. And I think JPM has no more than a 50-50 chance of squelching the next strong run-up to 50; so it could break-out past 50 this second time.

There does seem to be a huge increase in demand for physical silver at the low $30 level. But it seems like demand dropped off quite a bit when the price was in the high $30's and low $40's? Much less high $40's? I'm no expert by any means, just something I noticed.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I hope this is just a temporary thing, but, according to the June 10th Grey Sheet, Bid and Ask are drifting south of Melt these days. The biggest loser seems to be Warnix with a Bid of $6775 per bag, but a melt of $8277. This was calc with the POS @ $36.78. These are usually discounted anyway back of melt, but this seems substantial.

Silver dipped below $35 today for awhile, but has recovered somewhat. Just don't know whether $33/oz is sustainable longer term before the next shot at a $50/oz close. I still continue to stack it up, though, in the Munster household. Back up the truck.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:56 am

Know Common Cents wrote:I hope this is just a temporary thing, but, according to the June 10th Grey Sheet, Bid and Ask are drifting south of Melt these days. The biggest loser seems to be Warnix with a Bid of $6775 per bag, but a melt of $8277. This was calc with the POS @ $36.78. These are usually discounted anyway back of melt, but this seems substantial.

Silver dipped below $35 today for awhile, but has recovered somewhat. Just don't know whether $33/oz is sustainable longer term before the next shot at a $50/oz close. I still continue to stack it up, though, in the Munster household. Back up the truck.

It's been my understanding that war nickels usually can fetch about 60% of melt due to their composition and more trouble melting them. At 60% of $8277, that is only $4966.20. So the $6775 still seems strong to me.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Anyone noticed the kitco silver charts lately (such as tonight)? Is this the "high frequency trading" that I've been hearing about?
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:07 pm

68Camaro wrote:Anyone noticed the kitco silver charts lately (such as tonight)? Is this the "high frequency trading" that I've been hearing about?

Oh, that? Image That's just the effect of the new mini-silver future's ... the "bungee options" that they're trading in Shanghai now. :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Market Harmony » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 pm

Does anyone have volume figures for this Sunday night activity? If this is heavier than normal volume, then I will be expecting a positive move this week for silver. And, yes, that is exactly what program trading will look like when a large trader takes a position. It looks like $36 is the number.

Now, if the volume is lower or normal, then throw away the above statement.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Don't know a free source for volume data.
68Camaro

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Back up over $35, wonder if we'll hold the momentum in the morning?
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:08 am

justj2k78 wrote:Back up over $35, wonder if we'll hold the momentum in the morning?

Silver seems to be always climbing a slippery mountain. It struggles to climb $1, then gets kicked back down in minutes.
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:23 am

Well, I'm still working on making money on these churns. Second cycle for me. I currently have three new positions in PSLV, and it's already climbed well out of the lowest one at 15.28 and I have a sell order for that at 16 which may go this morning if the price hangs in there until market open. I'll put in sell orders for the next two bought positions at 15.75 and 16 at higher numbers, and try to be a bit less greedy on those two than I was last week, when it almost hit my sell points but fell just short. It's an imperfect system since I have far more constraints than the 24/7 marketeers, but it's been making a bit of money in the background for me. I have a core position that I'm keeping; these are just my "day" trading shares.
68Camaro

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Is this chart still a valid indicator, or has the last 4 years changed the dynamics significately

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1905

According to this everyone s/b pouring all in this week.
Attachments
SILVER.gif
SILVER.gif (11.26 KiB) Viewed 933 times
6 mo.gif
6 mo.gif (7.05 KiB) Viewed 933 times
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 pm

68Camaro wrote:Well, I'm still working on making money on these churns. Second cycle for me. I currently have three new positions in PSLV, and it's already climbed well out of the lowest one at 15.28 and I have a sell order for that at 16 which may go this morning if the price hangs in there until market open. I'll put in sell orders for the next two bought positions at 15.75 and 16 at higher numbers, and try to be a bit less greedy on those two than I was last week, when it almost hit my sell points but fell just short. It's an imperfect system since I have far more constraints than the 24/7 marketeers, but it's been making a bit of money in the background for me. I have a core position that I'm keeping; these are just my "day" trading shares.

Well good grief. The churn in the market is like a freakin goose laying little mini golden (or rather silver) eggs all over... I've completed two more successful buy/sell cycles since last post, and just hit my latest sell and turned around in put in another lower buy order (should it go down again below where it is now).
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I was hoping that this would be another one of those crazy weeks again where silver pops up 4-5% each day. Come on full steam ahead! But, I don't have the balls to put my FRN's in AGQ today. I'll probably just sit on the sidelines and hope that my little tiny stack of physical continues to appreciate.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 pm

68Camaro wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Well, I'm still working on making money on these churns. Second cycle for me. I currently have three new positions in PSLV, and it's already climbed well out of the lowest one at 15.28 and I have a sell order for that at 16 which may go this morning if the price hangs in there until market open. I'll put in sell orders for the next two bought positions at 15.75 and 16 at higher numbers, and try to be a bit less greedy on those two than I was last week, when it almost hit my sell points but fell just short. It's an imperfect system since I have far more constraints than the 24/7 marketeers, but it's been making a bit of money in the background for me. I have a core position that I'm keeping; these are just my "day" trading shares.

Well good grief. The churn in the market is like a freakin goose laying little mini golden (or rather silver) eggs all over... I've completed two more successful buy/sell cycles since last post, and just hit my latest sell and turned around in put in another lower buy order (should it go down again below where it is now).

I was able to buy 200 shares of First Majestic at $16.68, sold it today for a $600 profit minus in and out. I'm content. Have three more lots of same I bought on the way down but at higher prices. ;)
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Good job!

I've got one more lot of pslv trading shares bought at $16.18 to sell at $16.75, and already have the order in to buy again at $15.40, so i win either way!
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:11 am

68Camaro wrote:Good job!

I've got one more lot of pslv trading shares bought at $16.18 to sell at $16.75, and already have the order in to buy again at $15.40, so i win either way!

We might as well take advantage of the range-bound swings...pick up a little cash during the doldrums :mrgreen:
beauanderos

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals