Scored a 90% dime 4 feet away

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Scored a 90% dime 4 feet away

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:29 pm

At some of the branches the tellers keep their coin trays further away from the teller window.

I always try to take a glance at the trays. I was looking at her tray from a distance and throught I saw a silver dime.

I asked her if I could see the dimes in her tray and she brought the tray over to me and let me buy the silver one I saw.

I told her I was a coin collector and I know it is funny that I could see something I'd want from that far away :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Scored a 90% dime 4 feet away

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Nice eye! :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hades12 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:33 pm

I find my self glanceing at their Rack all the time. One at my main bank has a real set of 10's.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Hades12 wrote:I find my self glanceing at their Rack all the time. One at my main bank has a real set of 10's.

But are they 40%, 90% or real? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Verbane » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 am

beauanderos wrote:
Hades12 wrote:I find my self glanceing at their Rack all the time. One at my main bank has a real set of 10's.

Sometimes those 10's turn out to be clad. You have to watch real closely. 8-)
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:43 am

Verbane wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

+1 give or take a cup size :mrgreen:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:45 am

Verbane wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

Yeah, watch out for those clad ones. It's the unclad ones that you want. :P
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 am

Okay... that was easy enough to derail the thread. :lol: Back on track... good eye. I was amazed myself at the post office when I got a 1964 Rosie in change. I spotted it instantly and had started to walk out when the little greedy fragment of my conscious goaded me to go back (even tho a new customer from a long line was already moving toward Mike). "Hey Mike," I said, "let me take a look at your dime tray. You gave me a silver dime and I want to buy any others if you have more." "I did what?" he says. He looks in the tray, shakes his head and laughs, saying "well, give it back then!" I smirked in response and said, "Yeah, nice try." I can't remember finding silver in handed out changed for decades. :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:16 am

I was snooping at a tellers tray yesterday that was across the aisle (the drive up teller) and I could see a coin laying flat in the dollar coin section that was not a new dollar coin. I could make out an eagle of sorts, but I was too far to really identify it. Additionally, it had a yellowish sort of glean. I had to calm myself down a little and try to ask about it calmly without drawing any attention. I asked if any of the tellers had half dollars. As usual, they said no, but they do have some dollar coins. I said yeah, I am interested in older ones because I already have all of the newer ones. So she walks over to the tray and says well.... and picks up the coin... I have a Susan B Anthony dollar. DANG! I knew the chances were ridiculously slim that it would be gold, but at the distance that I was at and the way the light was hitting it, I thought there was a chance. I tend to be overly optimistic when snooping at the teller trays. I am constantly having them pick out dimes that always turn out to be Canadian.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm

nice spot
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Boy can I redirect a thread.

I got all happy the other day seen 196 on a dime, last number another 6. Dang.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals