To rim or not to rim sort with halves

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

To rim or not to rim sort with halves

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm

For those of you who do a high volume of half sorting, do many of you just look at the rims to give you the clue for a silver half and just forget at looking at the date of each coin.

I know this might miss 87's and NIFC and proofs but I figure it would be faster sorting that way. I figure there might be some who are just in it for the silver and don't care about the proofs,etc.

Of course, you can usually tell right away if a coin is silver by the look and the way it sounds when it clinks against another coin.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: To rim or not to rim sort with halves

Postby UDEric » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:41 pm

When I first started I would always check each date and then as the hobby evolved I became just an edge sorter. You can actually miss a 40% silver coin by edge sorting (although this is rare to happen) but in the end missing 1 40% is probably worth saving all that time.
"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth"

"No army can stop an idea whose time has come"
UDEric
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:45 pm

I look at every half. I have searched as much as $4k of halves a week (I'm only doing $1500 now). I think it's worth the time and it's fun too. I've seen many 40%ers whose edges look just like clads. Also, the proofs and nice NIFCs are nice to get at face. Unless you don't have the time (those folks searching 20K+ a week), I think it's time well spent. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:22 pm

I edge sort, but that is before the dump bank lowered the amount to $300 a day in the machine. I might start looking at all of them now that I lowered my weekly amount.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby sdmarasso » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm

I edge sort and I obviously can't say I've gotten ALL the proofs in my boxes because I don't look at the face. However, I can usually tell the proof coins from the edge just as well as a silver coin. They are shiny and clean and they look thicker because the edges aren't all worn. Also NIFC I can usually get too because most of those are shiny new looking and so is the edge. I'm sure I miss 87's but then I don't really care about them either.
sdmarasso

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals