Rare earth elements prices jump

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Rare earth elements prices jump

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Rare-earth Elements: Bloomberg reports that rare-earth prices have jumped as Chinese export quotas crimped worldwide supplies for the elements used in the manufacture of disk drives, wind turbines and smart bombs.

Prices have climbed sevenfold in the last six months for cerium oxide, which is used for polishing semiconductors, and other elements have more than doubled, according to Metal-Pages Ltd. in London, which tracks rare-earth prices.

Actions by China, which produces more than 90% of the world’s rare earths, have drawn criticism from US lawmakers and officials in Japan and Germany. China reduced its second-half export quota for the minerals by 72% in July. It is now further restricting exports, according to industry participants.

Rare-earths are 17 chemically similar metallic elements - - such as europium, yttrium and lanthanum - - which have unique magnetic, optical and other properties essential for miniaturisation, lasers and energy efficiency.

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews ... 0836.shtml
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: Rare earth elements prices jump

Postby theo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:27 pm

I picked up a small position in REE last week when it was at 7.60, because I knew about the potential supply constriction with China and I thought it would be a good way to diversify. However I wasn't expecting a 50% run up in a few days. Its actually a little scary because several of these rare earth metels are critical to high tech industry.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Heartkill » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Great. I had a small position in DNN stock for over a year, and sold it off earlier this week when it hit $2 a share. Wishing I would have waited the week out but I took a little bit of profits off of it. I'd like to jump into AA (Alcoa) if it dips.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby oober » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Rare Earths are very volitile, so don't invest unless you have a strong stomach.

I own,

Avalon Resources
Artha Resources
Cache exploration
Great Western Minerals
Mawson Resources

All of these have at least some REE's
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals