Morgan Dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Morgan Dollars

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:31 pm

So I'm doing an online auction today for fun, it's all silver and gems. Bought a few rubies and emeralds so far when they're dirt cheap, just because I dont' have any.

The 90% is going for ridiculous rates though. Just now They sold a lot of 100 silver morgans ag-vg, so probably some slicks, for $3206.50. I don't understand.

Are people really still paying up to $30 or more for dollar coins?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Morgan Dollars

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:07 pm

People are nuts for Morgan dollars. Go to a household auction that has a few Morgans on it. I see common date well circulated Morgans sell for $40.00 to $50.00 each all the time.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:15 pm

$32.06 a piece for low grade morgans is way too high. Just yesterday with spot at $29.74 I purchased eight pre-1921 Morgans all in XF grade for $26 each from my local coin shop!--and that's retail with no sales tax or delivery charges to boot. Here was the coin shop's posted prices on silver dollars yesterday:

Peace dollars (culls)- $22.50
Peace dollars (average circulated)- $24.25
1921 Morgans (average circulated)-$24.75
Pre-21 Morgans (good to fine)-$24.75
(Very fine) -$25.25
(XF) -$26.00

And even at these retail prices the owner tells me I'm one of the only customers buying silver dollars. 95% of customers, he says, want 1 oz generic rounds, ASE's or bars. Demand for coins that have "numi" value is almost non-existant at this time. Everyone is out to try and make a quick buck with bullion silver and gold.

I'll just keep being the odd guy out and continue to cherry pick the best XF Morgans for $26 each! :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mr18 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:42 pm

good stuff Penny picker, be the odd guy and you will find deals. down here in southern california, everyone wants $32 for Morgans and $30 for Peace dollars. I get them for $25-$26 when I'm lucky. I have luck finding quarters for $5 and halves for $10 but ASE's and rounds are too high at $33ozt.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 am

I can't remember the last time I saw one for under $30, I just figured I could buy an entire 1 oz. ASE for about the same or less.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals