World's rarest metals or what's one billion per Troy ounce?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

World's rarest metals or what's one billion per Troy ounce?

Postby Ardent Listener » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:24 pm

http://www.curiousnotions.com/home/metals.asp

To the left you see a logarithmic graph comparing the physical abundances, by weight in the earth’s crust, of what many would recognize to be the six most precious or “noble” metals. Ir, Au, Rh, Pd, Pt, and Ag stand for iridium, gold, rhodium, palladium, platinum, and silver respectively. These figures are at best educated guesses, but according to most sources iridium is the clear winner. It occurs at about four-tenths of a part per billion, a ratio similar to that of a grain of salt to a Clydesdale, making it about half again as rare as gold.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: World's rarest metals or what's one billion per Troy oun

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Cool charts, AL! Thanks!

I got all excited last spring 'cause I thought I found traces of Platinum Group Metals in ore samples. Nope. Didn't test out. I would have quit my day job if it had.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Not to be a nit-picker, but if something is "half as rare as gold," doesn't that mean it's twice as easy to find? Wouldn't you want to say that iridium is "twice as rare as gold"?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Corsair wrote:Not to be a nit-picker, but if something is "half as rare as gold," doesn't that mean it's twice as easy to find? Wouldn't you want to say that iridium is "twice as rare as gold"?

Ardent Listener wrote: making it about half again as rare as gold.

Not to be a nit-picker, but, aw whatever nevermind. :P Very interesting read though.

Wait so, palladium is more rare, but is worth less because not many uses?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Rare and recoverable.....two completely different things.....be careful with this article

my take:
Gold is lumped together in nice convenient deposits and is akin to picking up m&ms spilled upon the floor. Whereas Platinum, Palladium, and Rhodium are miniscule byproducts of nickel mining with the remainder spread out more like grains of sand upon the floor.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby RGJohn » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:37 am

That is a very interesting and informative site. I never knew of naturally occuring plutonium before.
Nor did I realise that all iridium is ultimately of extraterrestrial origin.
Very good stuff.
RGJohn

Postby Ardent Listener » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:38 am

I was surprised to learn that palladium was more rare (in the earth) than platinum. But platinum was more difficult to extract thus more rare in production.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:12 pm

If what I'm looking at is accurate, Iridium closed at $780/toz on December 31st, 2010.
23 December 2011 it is at $1085/toz, a 39% increase YTD.

And then there's rhodium on the other hand, hitting $2500 in February of 2011, and now $1400 this week?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:37 pm

From what I have gathered, Platinum Group Metals (PGM's) have just as wild a ride as silver. When they are in demand, they skyrocket. When that demand is satisfied, they tumble. Still, that "tumble" price isn't bad.

It's kinda ironic to learn that the earliest Spanish Conquistadors found lots of PGM's at the mouths of rivers they paned for gold. They didn't know what is was. It wasn't gold, not silver.... so they threw it away! :shock:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:44 pm

I have a friend who showed me what he thought was a rock with a vein of silver in it. It's bright white, and shiny, but definitely not silver. The vein was bigger than a half inch in some places. He will not let me test it, nor tell me where he found it. *sigh*, too bad. :|
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BOHICA » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:06 pm

I thought you were going to say "Californium". The total world production is .275 grams and they once said it would cost $1,000,000,000 to make a single gram. :shock:
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals