New Year resolutions - Physical Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

New Year resolutions - Physical Silver

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Ramp up my searching and keep stacking. :mrgreen:
Since I rescue 95% of my hoard when I do buy I never pay much attention to price going up or down. Also trade for gold when the trading makes sense. Thats my normal New Year resolution. What's yours?
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: New Year resolutions - Physical Silver

Postby woodyh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:15 pm

mine is to get a litle "play money" to do much, much more searching ;)
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:05 pm

My resolution is to exercise a little more patience and (only) walk into the local coin shop when silver dips--like today. :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:12 pm

I wanted to buy more silver in 2011, but it just did not seem realistic to me. I do want to buy more under $30, but I was buying under $30 when the year started. I'm also completely tapped out from buying 25th annie ASE's that I don't want to sell, my intent was to flip those, but with the intent on then spending that on gold, I could easily be tapped out yet again.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:02 pm

stack, stack, and stack some more.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:21 pm

My new years resolution is to stop buying and drinking sodas. Also half the amount of potatoe chips I buy and 1/4 the amount of various other sweets. We eat really well here in general, but with lots of junk mixed in. Its just to expensive and not real healthy anyway.

1/4 of this amount will be mine for silver/gold. A 1/4 my wifes for whatever. I am to embarrassed to relate the actual dollar amount. Its pretty high. I recently quit smoking pushed by two great members here. Its been a great boon to us economically!! We are really conservative spending wise in general these were our splurge areas, and I guess we didnt realize just how much we actually spent on the junk. The rest goes towards paying down other debts at faster rates, smallest first to cut the payments off the monthly expenditures.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bookshelf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:49 pm

My resolution is to stack a little bit every month.
Wanted: current Japanese YEN coins and bills
bookshelf
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Being more deliberate. Patience, patience, patience. Organize and Strike Hard.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:30 pm

I resolve to cash in a little silver, if necessary, to keep the fridge topped up with beer, get more sleep and relaxation, goof off more than usual and just be a general reprobate. Hey, it's gonna happen anyway, so why fight it!
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chief » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:42 pm

I want to roll search like crazy, enough to find an oz a week. I'd also like to refrain from purchasing any silver. Both of these should help me save enough towards a down payment on a house of my own in 12-18 months.
Also, I'd like to keep up with going to the gym and get in better shape physically.
Happy New Year, Realcent!!!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm

Chief wrote:I want to roll search like crazy, enough to find an oz a week. I'd also like to refrain from purchasing any silver. Both of these should help me save enough towards a down payment on a house of my own in 12-18 months.
Also, I'd like to keep up with going to the gym and get in better shape physically.

Chief, unless you believe silver is going down in 2012 then buying silver would ASSIST in your purchase of your home as it can be a profit center.

Unless silver is a waste of time, which based on finding 1 ounce per week in the wild, it must not be, buying silver is an obvious go-to move.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:04 pm

barrytrot wrote:
Chief wrote:I want to roll search like crazy, enough to find an oz a week. I'd also like to refrain from purchasing any silver. Both of these should help me save enough towards a down payment on a house of my own in 12-18 months.

Chief, unless you believe silver is going down in 2012 then buying silver would ASSIST in your purchase of your home as it can be a profit center.
Unless silver is a waste of time, which based on finding 1 ounce per week in the wild, it must not be, buying silver is an obvious go-to move.

The thing is that I don't want to sell my silver, ever. Well, not ever, but I am very long on silver. Also, I never bought silver above $40, but right now I am certainly on the negative side with the DCA thing. Roll searching certainly helps this. Another thing is besides copper, gold and silver, the only money I have saved up is the money that I use to roll search. The past 6 or so weeks have been great with dimes and average with halves. An oz a week is only 14 dimes or any other combo adding up to $1.40fv. Next week I am really stepping up my efforts though. $3k in halves and $3k in dimes, while having to pickup, search, and dump a few times during the week. It will be hectic, but could really pay off. I recently came up with the saying, "the only time I don't find silver is when I am not searching for it." I will have to use my $20 coupon from Ray sometime, but that purchase is already in the budget.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mr18 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Continue to stack as much as i can. Today i bought a 10oz ntr bar and 20 silver buffaloes for 29 an ounce. Needless to say that january will be slow for me. :?
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:24 pm

kidman232 wrote:stack, stack, and stack some more.

Ditto. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:29 pm

Chief wrote:
barrytrot wrote:

The thing is that I don't want to sell my silver, ever. Well, not ever, but I am very long on silver. Also, I never bought silver above $40, but right now I am certainly on the negative side with the DCA thing. Roll searching certainly helps this. Another thing is besides copper, gold and silver, the only money I have saved up is the money that I use to roll search. The past 6 or so weeks have been great with dimes and average with halves. An oz a week is only 14 dimes or any other combo adding up to $1.40fv. Next week I am really stepping up my efforts though. $3k in halves and $3k in dimes, while having to pickup, search, and dump a few times during the week. It will be hectic, but could really pay off. I recently came up with the saying, "the only time I don't find silver is when I am not searching for it." I will have to use my $20 coupon from Ray sometime, but that purchase is already in the budget.

Let me get this straight: You are so bullish on silver that you have vowed to not buy any?

Think about it: If silver is a "strong buy" then BUY SOME. If that means your DCA is higher, so what? How does that impact anything? If you have the ability to buy something and sell it for MORE, then do so, every time. No question. Unless you don't enjoy it, which is not a question here since you already intend to spend enough time to find silver.

edited: I had "sell if for less" instead of "more" :)
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 pm

New Year's Resolution. I will try and maintain Weekend Silver Sales for limited amounts each week (everyone has a budget, it seems)...but I think you guys will regret not having bought this last dip. Everything I read suggests we are about to move strongly higher.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Cent1225 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:34 pm

rickygee wrote:I resolve to cash in a little silver, if necessary, to keep the fridge topped up with beer, get more sleep and relaxation, goof off more than usual and just be a general reprobate. Hey, it's gonna happen anyway, so why fight it!

Hey. Let me know when I can trade you beer for your silver. What Brand??
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:33 pm

beauanderos wrote:New Year's Resolution. I will try and maintain Weekend Silver Sales for limited amounts each week (everyone has a budget, it seems)...but I think you guys will regret not having bought this last dip. Everything I read suggests we are about to move strongly higher.

Interesting to see such diametrically opposed views. One side that is very confident in further reduction and one side that is convinced it will go higher.

I still maintain that 25.00 silver won't happen ever again.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:32 pm

barrytrot wrote:
beauanderos wrote:New Year's Resolution. I will try and maintain Weekend Silver Sales for limited amounts each week (everyone has a budget, it seems)...but I think you guys will regret not having bought this last dip. Everything I read suggests we are about to move strongly higher.

Interesting to see such diametrically opposed views. One side that is very confident in further reduction and one side that is convinced it will go higher.

I still maintain that 25.00 silver won't happen ever again.

My cash position is quite constrained, vastly disproportional to my core physical. Since no one knows what the fallout of the european situation will be, nor if we are first headed towards an asset deflationary period before hyperinflation eventually manifests, it's prudent to have some cash on hand for emergencies. Someday (hopefully soon :D) I might regret incrementally dribbling off bits of silver each weekend but, really, you have to ask yourself, how much is enough? So, I feel as an early stacker that I ought to help out noobies pick up at least a roll or two at reasonable costs. Long term I am convicted that metals are headed vastly higher (well into triple digits for silver) than at present, particularly if one can hang on until an eventual revaluation against global currencies. Short term, you'd have to ask God. Or you could just read other threads. I sometimes wonder if HE likes to post here. :lol: (no disrespect meant, LORD)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Stack some more junk face........and eat less fastfood garbage.......spend more time on vactions and less at work......and to catch a 40+in musky.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:27 am

Expand my business, which will allow for more PM purchases. Get my health insurer's to pay for my shoulder surgeries. Do the physical therapy to get into much better shape. Then take up Krav Maga.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:49 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Expand my business, which will allow for more PM purchases. Get my health insurer's to pay for my shoulder surgeries. Do the physical therapy to get into much better shape. Then take up Krav Maga.

Good luck with the inscurance. One of my goals this year is to keep better tabs on medical bills. My wife is covered by two plans. It is maddening to try to deal with them. We just got a bill in the mail for 5K from 2009. It took the inscurance companies that long to sort it out. I believe that it is wrong, but my company has now dropped that carrier. The phone number on the EOB that we just got doesn't even work.

The other main goal is for me to pay off my morgage.

Good luck to all.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:56 am

knibloe wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Expand my business, which will allow for more PM purchases. Get my health insurer's to pay for my shoulder surgeries. Do the physical therapy to get into much better shape. Then take up Krav Maga.

Good luck with the inscurance. One of my goals this year is to keep better tabs on medical bills. My wife is covered by two plans. It is maddening to try to deal with them. We just got a bill in the mail for 5K from 2009. It took the inscurance companies that long to sort it out. I believe that it is wrong, but my company has now dropped that carrier. The phone number on the EOB that we just got doesn't even work.

The other main goal is for me to pay off my morgage.

Good luck to all.

Your state should have a gov. branch that oversees insurance companies. In my state it is called the state insurance commissioner. Here, if the policy was in effect at the time of injury, you should be covered, even if it was in 2009.

Contact that state agency and tell them all the details. They should be able to find the health insurance company if you can't. Insurance companies usually don't want to have trouble with the state insurance commissioner, so they become more accommodating after you file a claim

I could go ahead and have the surgeries done, but I don't want to rack up a bunch of bills and have them sit there while we sort this out. The pain is manageable. It is amazing how effective menthol is at pain-blocking! Sleep is another matter. That is the one time I can't block out the pain, so I don't get much sleep. We have too many medical bills with my wife's medical issues. I will wait until I can get this one resolved.

Good luck with the $5k bill!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:01 pm

I will get the bill resolved. I might end up paying $1300 of it in deductable. There are a couple of things that tick me off.

1. It took so long.
2. We called the hospital at the end of the to see if we had any outstanding bills they said no.
3. We have a flex account that we didn't use up that year. We were going to lose it, so we spent it on things like band aids, tums, cough syrup...

Anyway, it isn't going to break me, and I am not going to lose any sleep over it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:33 pm

I want to stack some silver.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals