Some don't like Mexico coins?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Some don't like Mexico coins?

Postby newton7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Was at my LCS the other day during the buying rush and the lady had some mixed Mexico in a box on the side of the show case. I asked what she had and she stated that not much and that most people do not like the Mex except for the 1 onza because they are not pure silver. I was surprised, silver is silver right?

I have bought some here on RC and at the LCS before. I like it because it is different and helps break up the collection from just bars and rounds. You can generally get them at a discount but I'm sure they will sell at a discount when it time comes to move them.

I also know about the fakes out there but with a little detective work you can sniff them out.

What is your take?

Good or bad? Like or dislike?

Thanks.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Some don't like Mexico coins?

Postby PolishPunisher » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:16 pm

There was a post on realcent a couple of weeks ago about counterfeit Mexican silver coins. Perhaps that is partially to blame.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:48 pm

PolishPunisher wrote:There was a post on realcent a couple of weeks ago about counterfeit Mexican silver coins. Perhaps that is partially to blame.

The Zetas are diversifying!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby newton7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:36 pm

PolishPunisher wrote:There was a post on realcent a couple of weeks ago about counterfeit Mexican silver coins. Perhaps that is partially to blame.

Yea, i posted that to. I live in Texas and every coin shop I have been in has some so it is kind of expected here. Like Canadian coin up north. I can only guess that some people shy away from coins they are unfamiluar with. After all .999 is much easier than .720 or .6842.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mr18 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:05 am

I buy silver mexican coins when i get them around 25% off spot, most dealers will offer to sell them at spot, they know the coins wont sell, so they quickly offer a 15% discount. I buy a few at a time, typically about 4 100 pesos so dealers like to see movement of something that is slow to move. I do realize if/when I sell, a discount will need to be done. most people in my area (including Mexicans) dont like mexican silver coins. Again, If/when I sell, it will be a slow process, but some RC members will probably help me out.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:34 am

mr18 wrote:I buy silver mexican coins when i get them around 25% off spot, most dealers will offer to sell them at spot, they know the coins wont sell, so they quickly offer a 15% discount. I buy a few at a time, typically about 4 100 pesos so dealers like to see movement of something that is slow to move. I do realize if/when I sell, a discount will need to be done. most people in my area (including Mexicans) dont like mexican silver coins. Again, If/when I sell, it will be a slow process, but some RC members will probably help me out.

If you're willing to hold them for the long haul (same goes for odd foreign fractional gold pieces), when resource depletion leads to skyrocketing silver prices... then everyone and their brother will be pouring into silver and their familiarity with Mexican coins and other foreign ones will grow with demand causing their prices to match melt. At this point, junk will be selling at a premium to melt, as it has at various periods of high demand in the past.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 am

I acquired a pretty good amount of foreign silver and it took me a fair amount of time to liquidate my holdings. Found a gentleman from another bullion site to trade me 90% US silver for my 25+ ounces of foreign Ag. When I was buying I was using eBay and finding some pretty good deals there. Recently Mexican silver isn't selling as well on eBay. I think I will give it a sniff and see if there is a profit to be made in accumulating some again.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:54 am

I don`t collect any foreigh coins.
I have enough trouble keeping up with the USA coins.
and I don`t have a book.
I keep them until I buy something from some one on the forum here and send them some of the coins that I don`t know what they are as a bonus.
they email me sometimes and say it was nothing, other times it was silver.
the last one I sent out had a half dollar sized coin in it that looked like silver.
it was .500 fine.
another time I sent out a Mexican libertad.
so if I buy from you expect a surprise in payment.

GOOD LUCK

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wagsthadog » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:57 pm

beauanderos wrote:
mr18 wrote:I buy silver mexican coins when i get them around 25% off spot, most dealers will offer to sell them at spot, they know the coins wont sell, so they quickly offer a 15% discount. I buy a few at a time, typically about 4 100 pesos so dealers like to see movement of something that is slow to move. I do realize if/when I sell, a discount will need to be done. most people in my area (including Mexicans) dont like mexican silver coins. Again, If/when I sell, it will be a slow process, but some RC members will probably help me out.

If you're willing to hold them for the long haul (same goes for odd foreign fractional gold pieces), when resource depletion leads to skyrocketing silver prices... then everyone and their brother will be pouring into silver and their familiarity with Mexican coins and other foreign ones will grow with demand causing their prices to match melt. At this point, junk will be selling at a premium to melt, as it has at various periods of high demand in the past.

Hi all-

+1 to the above. I have currently been doing some trading for foreign because I am confident that in the long haul it will boil down to WHATEVER the ASW of the coins are. I keep hearing the argument that people are going to refuse or dismiss coins because they are not EXACTLY American silver eagles or .999 bullion, but I still believe that two foreign ounces is better than one bullion ounce (assuming either are real lol)

jmo wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby melhen26 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:27 am

Love the libertads :D Will trade bu rolls of ase/phils for bu rolls libertads,pm me
melhen26

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:16 pm

If you live South close to, or along the Texas, Arizona or Cali border you should like Mexican coins.

If you live North close to, or along the Canadian border you should like Maple Leafs.

Pretty simple :)
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals