Weird coin bag pick up

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Weird coin bag pick up

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Last evening, I went to one of my half pick up banks and they told me someone turned in over 1k in coin and wanted to know if I was interested in buying it.

They had clear plastic bags most marked $200. The bags were ziplock bags not bank lock bags

When the teller showed me the bags, some of the bags were mixed coin. One bag had Ike dollars, halves, some quarters, and some nickels. One bag was solid halves. One bag was solid Susan B Anthony's and I passed on those.

She asked me if I wanted to buy the bags so she didn't have to send them out.

I took a quick look and could see some 40% silver in the bags and told her of course I would like to buy them.

She was very happy so she didn't have to bag them up in bank bags and send them out.

I asked her if the contents were verified for those amounts and they said yes.

I told her I was suprised that she allowed someone to turn in coin like that and the bank manager was there and said yeah we typically wouldn't allow that but it was a "special situation" for a customer.

I didn't delve deeper for the details but made me wonder.

In total, I got about $780 in coin and found 10 40% silver halves and one proof.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Weird coin bag pick up

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Was the count right for what you paid for it?

I'm sure it was a valued customer who they could trust or they would have never taken the bags like that. Still seems weird though...
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Two of the bags were off -$1 but the solid half bag was +$5 above what it was marked.

The "special circumstances" was the weird part. Why couldn't someone roll them. This branch just opened 1 and 1/2 months ago so wouldn't think they would have anyone that they were dealing with long term to trust them like that.

Works for me since I found 10 40% halves.

Also, since I helped her out, I am hoping she will hold any coin like that for me again.

By the way, this was not a Chase, BofA, or a Wells Fargo, it was a much smaller bank.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Somnophore » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:41 am

I'm not from the USA (from the UK) so don't know about what processes you have for turning in coin, we don't have rolled coin in the UK we just bag it up in say £1 of pennies or £10 of 10ps and cash it in.

If they have accepted loads of mixed coin as a special measure I would guess it was either a favour to a friend, or more likely it was for a debt repayment, mortgage etc as you cannot legally place any special measures etc on a loan repayment, you can just give them a bucket of coins if you like.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dumpster Diver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Kinda surprised there wasn't more silver in that amount. But a half roll of 40's is sweet.
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals