Ishares Silver Trust SLV:NYSE

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ishares Silver Trust SLV:NYSE

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 am

Still kind of new to all of this PM trading but me and 2 buddies took the plunge and got our first monster box ordered. I really like the idea of physical "in my hands" but also want a good way to be able to "easily take some profits" if I feel the market is over done. So my opinion is physical is good for some long term but I had been looking for a way to do some paper trading without using the 5000 or 1000oz futures contracts.

Today I ran across Ishares Silver Trust that is traded on the NYSE under SLV. At first glance, I think this is the way to go to be able to get in and out a few times a year if the opportunity arises.

Looking for input from those of you who are trading this. Seems to have boat loads of volume and 1 share = 1 oz so there we go!

Still a little baffled by one of my financial advisers ideas about how to avoid taxes when doing trading with physical. He said that as long as the transaction wasn't over $10k, it wasn't reported. I haven't been able to confirm this but if it is the case it may be worth looking into more. That would be a huge advantage for physical over paper. In the end uncle sam always gets his share so I that's not one of my priorities at this point.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Ishares Silver Trust SLV:NYSE

Postby Silver Addict » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 am

Keep in mind, profits in SLV get taxed at the "collectable" level.

If you are primarily trading the paper, look into AGQ (for the way up), and ZSL (for the way down)
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 am

Silver Addict wrote:Keep in mind, profits in SLV get taxed at the "collectable" level.

If you are primarily trading the paper, look into AGQ (for the way up), and ZSL (for the way down)

What is "collectable level"? I've never heard of that and I don't believe it to be the case. SLV should be taxed the same way as any other ETF you hold or sell would be.

Edit: Naturally short term sales are taxed differently than long term holds. Everyone knows that.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bigjohn56 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 am

SLV gains or losses are treated as collectibles. Don't take our word for it. A one minute Google search will verify this.
bigjohn56
Penny Sorter Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:35 am

Hm, you are right. Interesting and nonsensical.

Thanks for the clarification and I admit being incorrect.

That does reduce the effectiveness of using them long term. Still, that would not be different than holding silver naturally (physical) which would always be taxed at the maximum rate as well.

So SLV vs. physical silver still has the benefits you described, albeit without the tax savings of long term gains that is normally there.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennysaverCP » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Just buy in a qualified retirement account - ie roth, 401k etc
PennysaverCP
Penny Collector Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:10 pm

If you are primarily trading the paper, look into AGQ (for the way up), and ZSL (for the way down)[/quote]
Thanks for the ideas but is there anything that tracks the price of silver a little closer than these that are tax friendly??
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cupronickel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 pm

I would recommend buying a Silver Futures Contract. It represents 5000 ounces of silver, and you can get a $100 instant rebate by opening a new account with MF Global.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chief » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:29 pm

cupronickel wrote:I would recommend buying a Silver Futures Contract. It represents 5000 ounces of silver, and you can get a $100 instant rebate by opening a new account with MF Global.

Do you have a link for this offer? I'd love to jump on that offer.

;)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:14 am

cupronickel wrote:I would recommend buying a Silver Futures Contract. It represents 5000 ounces of silver, and you can get a $100 instant rebate by opening a new account with MF Global.

I think you're getting your chain yanked my friend.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 am

I wrote an article on precious metal etfs recently. Might help clarify a few things, or confuse you even more. Most of the ETFs are actually trading futures contracts, no metal involved. Others are buying mining companies - businesses that happen to involve looking for metal - again not metal itself. There are even bull and bear, double leverage funds. And the madness continues.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby bigjohn56 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:39 am

Jade Dragon,

Nice article. It lays out the essentials very clearly. Thanks for sharing it.
bigjohn56
Penny Sorter Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:06 am

That was interesting JadeDragon, thanks.

Do you have any opinions on which are more "tax friendly" than some of the others? We are in a situation where we are considering opening up a business but don't have all the pieces put together yet. As part of my "diversification plan", I would like to stick around $15-20k in metals for maybe up to 5 years or so. I have considered coins or bullion but would also consider some paper. One of my main concerns is having access to the investments if needed and since I am only 36, feel I need to keep them out of a retirement type account, but also want the most "tax friendly" scenario. There has been some comments on here about a higher tax rate since some of these are looked at as a collectible. I have been trying to read up on this but it still isn't perfectly clear. In the end, I may just end up with all physical unless I can find the right paper scenario.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm

JadeDragon wrote:I wrote an article on precious metal etfs recently. Might help clarify a few things, or confuse you even more. Most of the ETFs are actually trading futures contracts, no metal involved. Others are buying mining companies - businesses that happen to involve looking for metal - again not metal itself. There are even bull and bear, double leverage funds. And the madness continues.

http://etfdb.com/etf/DSLV/

3X inverse silver anyone ;)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Oakair wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:I wrote an article on precious metal etfs recently. Might help clarify a few things, or confuse you even more. Most of the ETFs are actually trading futures contracts, no metal involved. Others are buying mining companies - businesses that happen to involve looking for metal - again not metal itself. There are even bull and bear, double leverage funds. And the madness continues.

http://etfdb.com/etf/DSLV/

3X inverse silver anyone ;)

Dangerous counterparty risk. Also this fund will suffer from long term contango roll wipeout- even if silver declines you'll lose some or all of your investment.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:Dangerous counterparty risk. Also this fund will suffer from long term contango roll wipeout- even if silver declines you'll lose some or all of your investment.

Cheers!

Yeah. Look at chart for ZSL and compare to SLV silver prices for same period. A perfect example would be the one year period that has just elapsed. Silver has essentially stayed flat in price but ZSL has lost over 60% in price. These inverse ETFs you daytrade. They are not buy and hold candidates unless the trends are on your side.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Dangerous counterparty risk. Also this fund will suffer from long term contango roll wipeout- even if silver declines you'll lose some or all of your investment.

Cheers!

Yeah. Look at chart for ZSL and compare to SLV silver prices for same period. A perfect example would be the one year period that has just elapsed. Silver has essentially stayed flat in price but ZSL has lost over 60% in price. These inverse ETFs you daytrade. They are not buy and hold candidates unless the trends are on your side.

Yes intraday only regardless of trend. ETN's matching prompt contracts are financial suicide long term. Think UNG. Contango black hole. Poorly constructed and improperly implemented instruments.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals