Be Careful of Customer Wrapped Dimes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Be Careful of Customer Wrapped Dimes

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:44 pm

I was turning in a box of dimes I had sorted to a local Chase and the teller was scrutinizing the box because the dimes had shifted and the box didn't look full. Most of the dimes were still in plastic wraps and I only had to re-wrap a couple of rolls that I had searched.

He began to tray the box just to make sure the $250 was in there which was fine with me.

While he was traying them, he told me how a guy had turned in several rolls of dimes to him last week that he had put a mix of buttons and some Canadian dimes.

Has anyone here had a bad dime or quarter roll like that?

Makes me want to stick to the plastic wrapped ones so I can see what I am getting.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Be Careful of Customer Wrapped Dimes

Postby cwgii » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:20 pm

all the time, i get pennies in my nickels. heck to day i even got a penny in a dime roll.

shorted 1.00 per 100.00 in dimes the other day. while nickels, i have had all 50 rolls be short one in each and every roll.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby sdmarasso » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Yes people get pretty stupid over rippin the bank for a few cents. Kind of sucks cause it gives the rest of us honest people a bad name. You know, when you bring coin in and you get the suspicious looks like you're a criminal or something. I hate that crap.
sdmarasso

Postby Heartkill » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:55 pm

It happens quite a bit as I prefer to search CWR dimes over boxes. I find pennies, foreign coins, metal washers, etc. The tellers are very nice at my credit union and they know if I have a problem, I can return them as-is and they won't charge me for it. I've yet to do it, but if I get really screwed over it's comforting to know they have my back.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby gotin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Pennysaved wrote:I was turning in a box of dimes I had sorted to a local Chase and the teller was scrutinizing the box because the dimes had shifted and the box didn't look full. Most of the dimes were still in plastic wraps and I only had to re-wrap a couple of rolls that I had searched.

He began to tray the box just to make sure the $250 was in there which was fine with me.

While he was traying them, he told me how a guy had turned in several rolls of dimes to him last week that he had put a mix of buttons and some Canadian dimes.

Has anyone here had a bad dime or quarter roll like that?

Makes me want to stick to the plastic wrapped ones so I can see what I am getting.

I got a sealed brinks box a couple of months ago. Inside there were customer wrapped brown rolls with a little s or a lightning bolt written on the side of the roll. The box was short $5, I guess the sob just pulled the coins he wanted and did not replace them when he was wrapping them. The good part was that the box was stamped by a SunTrust branch in a nearby town. I had a nice talk with the vault teller, explained the problem and what the wrappers looked like and advised her to have a little chat with the sob if he brings coins again. She was pretty upset and said she will make sure it does not happen again. I hope she cut him off completely.
gotin

Postby Dumpster Diver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:51 pm

I've had instances where every dime cwr had 1 penny in it. A lot of work to make a couple bucks. Sad someone would stoop to that kind of trickery...
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dumpster Diver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:55 pm

But then again cwr dime hunting is so fun. You can run through hundreds of dollars quickly and there's no telling what might turn up. :)
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rickygee » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Let's everyone who has ever received a darn PGA coin in a roll of nickels give a toast!

Yol Bolson! :lol:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby jtlee321 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Seems like every time I go through CWR they tend to break even for me. I have several that are short and several that are long. In fact every time I get CWR I weigh them out on my digital scale just to get a sense of how many are short and how many are long. I set those aside and pull from the long and add to the short. I pocket the any extra dimes. The best CWR of dimes I have ever had was long 6 dimes and of the 6 dimes 4 were Mercs.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:04 am

In the past 2 weeks, I have found 2 pennies shaved down to be the size of a dime in Bank wrapped roles. The pennies happened to be a 1945 and a 1953. The irony is that they would almost be worth a dime if they hadn't been shaved down. But even in loose bags and in bank rolled coins, you find mis-categorized coins and foreign coins worth nothing. It is part of the over-head cost of an otherwise VERY cheap hobby.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:43 am

So most of you prefer customer wrapped over the plastic wrapped?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AgCollector » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Pennysaved wrote:So most of you prefer customer wrapped over the plastic wrapped?

For me, it's a question of availability- if you order a box of dimes you always know you'll be able to get $250 worth... CWR, who knows?
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby Heartkill » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:02 pm

Pennysaved wrote:So most of you prefer customer wrapped over the plastic wrapped?

Me personally, yes. There easier to sort through and I have way better luck finding silver in CWR's than all of the Brinks or NF String boxes I've ever cracked open.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:52 am

I just find the plastic wrapped ones to be a lot easier to turn back in quickly and also dont have to worry about being shorted.

I started looking at dimes almost 2 weeks ago and have found 30 silver dimes; all of them were in the plastic rolls
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals