Thives steal rare coin collection, spend it at coin star

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Thives steal rare coin collection, spend it at coin star

Postby kidman232 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Police in Oregon are searching for a suspect who allegedly stole a rare coin collection from his own father and traded it in for pennies on the dollar at a local coin-counting machine.

On Christmas day, Dan Johnson Jr. and two friends broke into a shed on his father's property, where the coin collection was stowed. The burglars also reportedly stole tools and two safes, which had approximately 50 to 60 pounds of silver and jewelry inside.

So what explains the colossal miscue? Authorities say that the simplest explanation is the most persuasive one. "The obvious answer is that the crooks were idiots," Dan Johnson Sr. told local affiliate Fox 12. "To not know the value of what they had taken, just to get pocket change for it. Just really a stupid person. Makes me feel good he was a stupid person and didn't realize what he had."

The thieves took the coin collection, worth several thousand dollars, and dropped it into a Coinstar machine, where they received $450. They were unsuccessful in their attempts to put the silver coins into the machine and eventually took those to a local bank.

"It was an inheritance, which made it even worse because I lost an inheritance that was meant to go forward for my children and grandchildren," Johnson said of the collection that his son had purloined.

However, Johnson is now working with the Multnomah County Sheriff's deputies to sift through the Coinstar machine looking for his collection. The bank is also returning the silver coins to Johnson.

Police have caught two of the suspects involved in the crime, both of whom they say are cooperating in the investigation.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: Thives steal rare coin collection, spend it at coin star

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:13 pm

NNoooooo.................... What losers!
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby kidman232 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 pm

god i suck at spelling
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby jmoney » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:57 pm

I wonder which bank they turned in the change!
jmoney

Postby uthminsta » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:43 pm

"The obvious answer is that the crooks were idiots," Dan Johnson Sr. told local affiliate Fox 12.
Keep this in mind: Mr. Johnson said this about his own SON. Although, he might have said it before he knew his son was one of the culprits. Anyway, why didn't Dan Sr teach his son the value of all those coins? Sad. He said they were going to be an inheritance for his children and grandchildren. Hope he takes this chance now to actually tell them THIS ISN'T SPENDING MONEY!

Read the updates here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10902
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ardorlan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 am

I dont know what would be more disappointing as a farther
1. having your son steal from you.
2. having your son sell silver at face value.

crackheads.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals