The weight of coin and fuel mileage

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The weight of coin and fuel mileage

Postby thedrifter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 pm

I drive a Ford Focus hatchback. The Focus is front wheel drive. I put my coins in the the back during pickups and dumps. (Currently about $5000 in dimes). While driving I can feel this extra weight effect the handling. (The steering feels looser). I can only attribute this looser feeling in the steering to the added weight in the back lifting weight off of the front wheels and thus making the front wheels less in contact with the road surface both in terms of tire surface area connected to the road and pounds per square inch pushing down on the tires. If the drive wheels have less weight bearing down on them it seems to reason that they would be experiencing less friction and less rolling resistance. Likewise the back wheels don't serve any function in the transfer of power through the power train and to the roadway. The back tires do however experience friction and rolling resistance and, with the added weight it should stand to reason that these factors would increase on the back tires. My question to the members of the forum is what effect on gas mileage will this have? Expecially over the course of say 1000 miles of interstate driving? Will mileage be a net gain or negative?
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Re: The weight of coin and fuel mileage

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Net negative. Does not matter where the weight is. Extra pounds moved requires extra energey used = extra full burned.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby baggerman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:00 pm

yep definately negative
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Pump those back tires up right full of air. That should help. Less rubber in contact with the road. I also agree with the others, more weight=less mileage. Sort and dump those before you get home to save gas! :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Net negative. Does not matter where the weight is. Extra pounds moved requires extra energey used = extra full burned.

Maybe not extra fuel burned.

If your pickup bank is uphill from your house and your dump bank is downhill.

Assuming friction is negligible.

Potential energy will be spent by your bank.

U=mgh
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Thogey wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Net negative. Does not matter where the weight is. Extra pounds moved requires extra energey used = extra full burned.

U=mgh

This is true. Just need a uphill pickup and downhill dump loctaed in a vacuum with no gravity. Sounds like this could work in California.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby thedrifter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:05 am

That's what I thought also. I just wanted to hear what others thought. The one factor that I thought might make a difference was that once I got on the interstate and got up to speed, I would only need to maintain that speed. This would require less engery than speeding up and slowing down and starting and stopping.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:25 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:

U=mgh

This is true. Just need a uphill pickup and downhill dump loctaed in a vacuum with no gravity. Sounds like this could work in California.

Friction would be confined to the wheel bearings. The angular momentum created by the wheels turning would make that force negligible.

Gravity is OK as it is a component of PE (U) (paid for by the bank). Unless the vehicle is going to travel fast enough to reach terminal velicity (vs air friction) an airless environment (vacume) is not necessary.

Since the mass of your vehicle actually increases at the uphill source bank, your potential energy will increase at the pickup (paid for by the source). Gravity will convert the PE to KE=1/2*MV^2.

An uphill source will save you gas..

Uphill source and downhill dump=no problem
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Treetop » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:33 am

I once read each 50 pounds you will loose 1/2 mpg efficiency. This probably differs by vehicle to some degree.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:40 am

F=ma

When you increase the mass of an object it takes more force to accelerate it.

Once an object of mass is moving it has more energy than an object of less mass and will require more force to create 'negative' acceleration (reduction of velocity or slow it down).

1/2 mpg would depend on the constants involved or the mechanics of a particular vehicle.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 am

Thogey wrote:Friction would be confined to the wheel bearings. The angular momentum created by the wheels turning would make that force negligible.
Gravity is OK as it is a component of PE (U) (paid for by the bank). Unless the vehicle is going to travel fast enough to reach terminal velicity (vs air friction) an airless environment (vacume) is not necessary.
Since the mass of your vehicle actually increases at the uphill source bank, your potential energy will increase at the pickup (paid for by the source). Gravity will convert the PE to KE=1/2*MV^2.

Friction is envoled in everything from the tires touching the road to the exhast running out the tailpipe. Lubes lesson it.....but its still there.

Air causes friction at all times. An object needs not even be in motion for it to be there.....it may not be in action but its there. Terminal velocity is only a point. A point at which friction reaches a level so great that no further veleocity may be obtained by a falling objcect have you......but still just a point.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Silver Addict » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 am

thedrifter wrote:. My question to the members of the forum is what effect on gas mileage will this have? Expecially over the course of say 1000 miles of interstate driving?

You need a closer bank :lol:
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 am

Silver Addict wrote:
thedrifter wrote:. My question to the members of the forum is what effect on gas mileage will this have? Expecially over the course of say 1000 miles of interstate driving?

You need a closer bank :lol:

I admit I was impressed with the physics refresher, but SA nailed it here. 8-)
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:Friction would be confined to the wheel bearings. The angular momentum created by the wheels turning would make that force negligible.

Friction is envoled in everything from the tires touching the road to the exhast running out the tailpipe. Lubes lesson it.....but its still there.

Air causes friction at all times. An object needs not even be in motion for it to be there.....it may not be in action but its there. Terminal velocity is only a point. A point at which friction reaches a level so great that no further velocity may be obtained by a falling object have you......but still just a point.

Doc you would argue with a brick wall :lol:

I know what terminal velocity is: drag=gravity

for the purposes of this discussion Friction and drag would be negligable at road speeds.

I'm not saying those forces friction and drag don't exist.I'm just saying a downhill ride would be cheaper with greater with vehicle of greater mass. Because you would start with greater potential energy.

Now admit I'm right just break down and admit it.
Thogey

Postby Aqualung48 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:41 am

Pump those back tires up right full of air. That should help. Less rubber in contact with the road. I also agree with the others, more weight=less mileage. Sort and dump those before you get home to save gas! :D

Yes, keeping tires properly inflated will increase gas mileage. In summer, I keep my tires closer to maximum inflation. However, on a rainy or winter day when the roads might be slick, this would decrease traction, making steering and stopping more difficult. So I lower my tire pressure to 28 lbs which is normal for my vehicle. To find out your proper tire inflation, open the drivers door. There should be sticker which indicates proper tire inflation. Once, I was stuck on ice, slopping towards a lake and unable to move forward. I dropped the tire pressure on my front tires (I also have front wheel drive) to 14 lbs. I drove away, as though I had chains. Once I got up the hill and on better roads, I stopped and increased the tire pressure to 28 lbs. That saved me hours waiting for road service.
Aqualung48
Penny Sorter Member

Postby thedrifter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 am

keeping tires properly inflated will increase gas mileage. That is what candidate obumer said in 2008. WOW! WHAT A SMART GUY!
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Thogey is right. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Never thought I would say this.. but "Sort less"

That is a lot of dimes. Usually the silver percentage on dimes (present company excluded) would not cover you transporting them very far. The kinetic energy when you get that load up to speed should allow you to make a bigger dent in whatever you plow into.. but that load shifting forward after you are pinned behind the airbag could be deleterious to your health. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Aqualung my friend, did you start away uneasy? Was there ice clinging on your beard? You must have been in agony! :D
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Ill be here all week..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dan53 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 am

I don't like to be disagreeable, but in my opinion moving some of the weight forward would increase your gas mileage. Here's why:

With all the weight in the back, the front of the car is raised. This allows increased wind resistance under the car. Even if the car is raised at just 1 degree from the horizontal, as you increase speed there will be a resulting increase of a horizontal force vector pushing in the opposite direction of your travel. The amount of savings will be neglible but there will be some. The physics here is simple.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:56 am

Buy a bicycle
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:41 am

Diggin4copper wrote:Aqualung my friend, did you start away uneasy? Was there ice clinging on your beard? You must have been in agony! :D

Snot running down his nose greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:11 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:Aqualung my friend, did you start away uneasy? Was there ice clinging on your beard? You must have been in agony! :D

Snot running down his nose greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.

And you catch your raffling last breath with deep sea diver sounds.
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby thedrifter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:37 pm

I don't understand the Jethro Tull references? I like the band and the song, but???
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals