Gold bracelet I picked up - Anybody understand this?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold bracelet I picked up - Anybody understand this?

Postby fb101 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Inside inscribed "1/20TH12K G.F.H.F.B."
is it 1/20th gram or what?
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Gold bracelet I picked up - Anybody understand this?

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:46 pm

12 k..gold filled ?? Don't reallt know either but someone will answer you quick here :)
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:07 pm

I think it means that 1/20th of the total weight of the item is 12K
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 pm

The GF does mean gold filled........not sure on the 1/20th part, but I've seen that on silver filled old military items.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Per wikipedia;

Must be tired because "GF" did not trigger "gold filled" however the wikipedia on "gold filled" is interesting

Gold-filled jewelry, also known as "rolled gold" or "rolled gold plate" is composed of a solid layer of gold bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal such as brass. Some high quality gold-filled pieces have the same appearance as 14 karat (58%) gold. In the USA the quality of gold filled is defined by the Federal Trade Commission. If the gold layer is 10 kt fineness the minimum layer of karat gold in an item stamped GF must equal at least 1/10 the weight of the total item. If the gold layer is 12 kt or higher the minimum layer of karat gold in an item stamped GF must equal at least 1/20 the weight of the total item. The most common stamps found on gold-filled jewelry are 1/20 12kt GF and 1/20 14kt GF. Also common is 1/10 10kt. Some products are made using sterling silver as the base, although this more expensive version is not common today.

total Weight 12.3g
/20=0.615 of 12K
= .3075 24K
= $16.30 ag.

Thanks for the responses
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the H.F.B. is short for H.F.Barrows & Company.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dano » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Sounds cool! My wife's great uncle used own and run HF Barrows. There's a lot of history around that company.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Dano wrote:Sounds cool! My wife's great uncle used own and run HF Barrows. There's a lot of history around that company.

Dano, do you know if the company is still in business?
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tantalar » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 am

There is more gold on gold filled than most people think. A lot of people confuse it with gold plated (which is worth much much less). Gold filled contains at least $1 per gram worth of gold. Sometimes you can pick up some large gold filled necklaces cheap. I got a very large heavy one for $7 but it weighs over two ounces. I would highly recommend picking up gold filled when you are out hunting at tag sales or thrift shops or goodwill. Like I said, a lot of people undervalue it. There is an awful lot more intensive processing to it from what I hear, but the gold content is still there. For some gold filled, you can actually use a file to file the gold layer off. This does not work so well on intricate stuff though, as you would expect!
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby marine70 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:36 pm

That is gold filled at the coin shop I deal with he will not even mess with it.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dano » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 pm

DirtyFingers wrote:
Dano wrote:Sounds cool! My wife's great uncle used own and run HF Barrows. There's a lot of history around that company.

Dano, do you know if the company is still in business?

I spoke to my mother-in-law about this. Sadly her Uncle was the last owner. The company is gone. It was in a beautiful brick building, that has been "repurposed" into a Police station.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals