Mini Score at the pawn shop today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Mini Score at the pawn shop today

Postby NHsorter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:57 pm

I stopped by a little consignment store in my town today for the first time. He had a bag of about 200 common wheats that I looked through and there was nothing good in it. There was a one random lonely 1943S nickel in there, but he was not splitting up the "lot" and he wanted $45.00! I should have asked him what he pays for wheats!

The only other thing he had was a small bin with mixed foreign coins. I reluctantly dug through it since he would not name a flat price per coin up front. I found a 1898 50 ore from Sweden as well as a 1915 20 centavos from Cuba. Both passed the ring test, so I offered him $2/each and he took it. Got home and the melt on these totaled 7.20 when I looked it up. Then I checked eBay and there were some BIN's up there for 10-15/each on these so I was happy. I know they would fetch less on a regular auction, but I am still pretty happy. I typically have terrible luck finding stuff like this. I went to about 100 yard sales last summer and the only thing I got was a .900 spoon. I asked for coins at every one and dug through heaps of stainless-ware.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Mini Score at the pawn shop today

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Pretty cool. :mrgreen: Nice find. I've considered putting together a nice worldwide collection of vintage silver coins before the coming price explosion makes that idea unaffordable.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Mini Score at the pawn shop today

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:43 pm

NIce find. The only things I was able to scrounge from my local coin shop foreign bin was all the large copper coins from Mexico (20 Centavos from the mid 1900's) and British (early 1900 large pennies with George 5th). At 5 cents each, I considered them a steal! I bought everything he had... about 50 coins.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals