Purchase of 90% Lot

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Purchase of 90% Lot

Postby DuckTales253 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:52 pm

The low price of silver lately moved me to make an investment purchase. I went to HCC Rare Coins as they seemed to have the best price online for pre-1965 90% silver coins. Plus they offer a discount if you pay by cash, check, or bank wire. I selected the $10.00 face value assortment, which promised halves, quarters, and dimes. I was always curious just what variety you might expect in such an assortment, so I am posting a photo here. HCC included three Franklin halves, four 1964 JFK halves, fourteen Washington quarters, twenty-four Roosevelt dimes, and six Mercury dimes. Some were well worn but most were in nice shape and a few above average condition.

I was pleased with what I received. Paid about $211.00 plus $10.00 shipping for $10.00 face value of 90% silver. The turnaround was very quick, even though I paid by personal check. Added this to my existing silver and gold stack that I hope to sell off in the spring for a down payment, as my wife and I are looking to buy a house.

Link is below, although of course the price of silver has gone up since.

(http://www.hcc-coin.com/store/c-1150-90-silver-pre-1965.aspx)
Attachments
1090silver3.jpg
$10.00 face value 90% silver coins from HCC
1090silver3.jpg (124.73 KiB) Viewed 358 times
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Purchase of 90% Lot

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 pm

You did well, that equates to basically 21X face value, which is pretty much around where melt has been hovering. They could have shipped a few dollars cheaper, but all in all, worthwhile to learn what they're shipping. Check the seasonal charts before selling this Spring... and you might want to consider dollar cost averaging your sales into two or three lots the two weeks prior to seasonality high point (basically near the end of April)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Decent haul - congrats on stepping into the water! Suggest you plan on continuing to add to this over time.

I'll note that when you have enough RC street cred to be able to trade here, you can often get equal or better value PMs here for equal or lesser prices. (See the transaction forums.)

Prices I've paid here recently (over the past 3-4 weeks) for $10 shipped of proper nominal weight or better 90% have been 200 to 217.50, shipped, depending on the week purchased.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:09 pm

i hit the link and at current prices its 24X which is not so good.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Yeah I think you paid a little too much at 22x+ when silver was under $30 . You could've put an buy post up here at 21-21.5x and bought more then you would've needed orwanted. 99% of the time you will get a better deal on here.
misteroman

Postby madman326 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

hey there, not enough cred to buy/sell/trade, but i wouldnt mind knowing who i should look for when i do have enough credability/posts to be able to purchase.
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby tbram88 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:31 pm

This place is one of my LCS's they are about 6 miles from my house, they tend to be high on the .999, but pretty reasonable on the 90%.

No shipping for me but they charge sales tax.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 pm

madman326 wrote:hey there, not enough cred to buy/sell/trade, but i wouldnt mind knowing who i should look for when i do have enough credability/posts to be able to purchase.

Well, there is now a feedback tracking system for deals within RealCent. Click here: feedback.php
But it's pretty simple. Look around in the MARKET AREA forum, which is here: viewforum.php?f=6
There's ALWAYS someone selling, and there's ALWAYS someone buying. And a few guys trading. You get the idea.
uthminsta

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals