Salvation Army

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Salvation Army

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I went to the salvation army to do a drop off and go look for gold and silver. I was at the counter talking to an employee and asked to see some of the jewlery. None of them were silver of gold and I asked the employee if they had any. She told me to follow her to the drop off area to ask the employee who would know. When I see the employee who knows I see where all the silver and gold is going. She had gold or silver ring on each finger and multiple neclaces... all looked like old gold or silver. This employee informed me I should be looking for sterling silver which is labled .925. I was already aware of that but now Im also aware of why that store never has any silver or gold jewlery.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Salvation Army

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:19 pm

frugalcanuck wrote: When I see the employee who knows I see where all the silver and gold is going.

Not unlike encountering tellers who open every CWR half-dollar roll that comes in.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
frugalcanuck wrote: When I see the employee who knows I see where all the silver and gold is going.

Not unlike encountering tellers who open every CWR half-dollar roll that comes in.

Yes... But I have a suspicion that none of it is paid for... if it is paid for, then what price because she was the one that sets the price
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:

Yes... But I have a suspicion that none of it is paid for... if it is paid for, then what price because she was the one that sets the price

Yeah, I thought about that too after I replied. At least we know the tellers would be paying face value for anything they set aside for themselves :shock: The re-sale places, well, they may just price stuff for themselves at 25 cents a trinket or ring for all we know :roll:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Fringe benefits
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 pm

my aunt volunteered at a thrift store (not Salvation Army) and when they were sorting through the donations and saw something they wanted to buy they just took it to a different employee to set the price on it. They all gave each other good deals on the stuff but didn't give it away.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tantalar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 pm

I love salvation army for collectibles and media for re sale but I also enjoy searching for gold and silver. There are multiple locations near me for goodwill, savers, and salvation army. Just recently I obtained a super thin gold chain for a wrist as well as a pair of nice gold earrings. I also got a fairly large silver pin. Spent about $12.00 and got a lot of costume jewelry as well (was in bagged lots mixed in with the gold and silver)
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals