Best way to get CWR,s ?...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best way to get CWR,s ?...

Postby tedandcam » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 am

Whats the best way to get CWR's? At my CU the have a coin counter, but they have told me there is a guy who dumps there ( I dont think I want their bags, not even sure they would allow me to buy them, then again I have seen some waitresses use the coin counter). At my Bank of America dump banks they want change put into those sealed plastic bags and sent out for processing.

It seems to me that you have to find a branch that no one in the place cares about coin and would do this as a service to the customer. I'm looking for a little advice (strategy) to build my confidence instead of just walking in and willy-nilly asking the tellers.

If Pennybug reads this, I'm particularly interested in your approach from reading your posts on other topics. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Re: Best way to get CWR,s ?...

Postby MUTiger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:31 am

I just phone called a number of the branches at the banks we have accounts. I found one that will sell me bags of pennies. Called another one of their branches and they said no because they could not guarantee the amount in the bag. I indicated I did not care. They asked if others sell them. I said yes, your sister branch down the road. Guess where there is a new dump bank. :D :lol:
This particular bank only takes loose coin and dumps it in the machine. The first time I brought back a box of pennies rolled the guy had to unroll all of them an dump in the machine. Now I just bring in a big container with about $50 in pennies.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Re: Best way to get CWR,s ?...

Postby Pennybug » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Cam... Here is my method:

1) Identify banks that take CWR's. That takes a little research at doing. If after a while you find they don't take CWR's... MOVE ON! (I'll explain how you find that out in step 5).
2) My approach is NOT volume based. I don't go for big volume and I don't go ALL THE TIME. I go for what they have on hand at any given time. If they have nothing... then I move on.
3) Always be polite and personable! THAT IS KEY! Don't hassle them... and by that... I mean DON'T go there ALL THE TIME bugging them! I go maybe 2 or 3 times a month max.
4) Don't buy more than $100 at a time UNLESS you have found a honey hole (which I did that last year). If they have $600 or $1200... take your $100... search it... and if they are good... go back and get the rest.
5) ALWAYS take what they offer! DON'T be picky! If they have bank wrapped rolls... take them. Make a note... if I go back to that branch and they have gotten more in... and I find they are bank wrapped... AGAIN... I'll take them... ($100 worth MAX)... and I probably won't go back there.

Do I miss some? SURE! Someone on here once said that searching for halves is like fishing in a lake. You have to FIND THE FISH 1st! I don't care how many poles you use... how good your bait is... etc... if you don't know how to find the fish and your not near them... then if you have a billion poles in the water (in this case... the volume searching guys) you may catch one ONCE IN A WHILE... but you will spend A LOT of time for LITTLE effort!

FIND THE FISH (LEARN HOW TO DO THAT)... and then GO FISHING once in a while! That's how I do it! :D

I debate with myself weather I should tell people that or not (giving away my secrets)... but... I learned how to do this by others on this site telling me the SAME THING! So... I'ts only right that I pass this knowledge along!

HAPPY FISHING!

PS... My motto for searching coins: Volume is you FREIND when searching for copper! It is your ENEMY when searching for silver!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals