Question about Proof and Mint Sets

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Question about Proof and Mint Sets

Postby lewbo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 pm

I am seeing a lot of Proof and Mint sets for sell. Are all of them S mint and would the dollar and/or hald be a silver clad? I would like to buy some but do not want to make a mistake.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Question about Proof and Mint Sets

Postby Country » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 pm

40% IKE DOLLARS

1971-S - ALL OF THESE ARE 40% SILVER (CIRCULATION AND PROOF STRIKES)
1972-S - ALL OF THESE ARE 40% SILVER (CIRCULATION AND PROOF STRIKES)
1973-S - SOME ARE CLAD AND SOME ARE 40% SILVER (CLADS ARE ALL PROOFS; 40% SILVERS ARE CIRCULATION AND PROOF STRIKES)
1974-S - SOME ARE CLAD AND SOME ARE 40% SILVER (CLADS ARE ALL PROOFS; 40% SILVERS ARE CIRCULATION AND PROOF STRIKES)
1976-S - SOME ARE CLAD AND SOME ARE 40% SILVER (CLADS ARE ALL PROOFS; 40% SILVERS ARE CIRCULATION AND PROOF STRIKES)

ALL OTHER DATES/MINTMARKS/PROOFS, NOT INCLUDING THE ABOVE, ARE CLADS....

40% Halves

1968-S - ALL OF THESE ARE 40% SILVER (PROOF STRIKES ONLY)
1969-S - ALL OF THESE ARE 40% SILVER (PROOF STRIKES ONLY)
1970-S - ALL OF THESE ARE 40% SILVER (PROOF STRIKES ONLY)
1976-S - SOME ARE CLAD AND SOME ARE 40% SILVER (CLADS ARE ALL PROOFS; 40% SILVERS ARE CIRCULATION AND PROOF STRIKES)
1992-S TO DATE - SOME ARE CLAD AND SOME ARE "90%" SILVER (THESE ARE ALL PROOFS: CAN BE CLADS OR 90% SILVER)

ALL OTHER DATES/MINTMARKS/PROOFS, NOT INCLUDING THE ABOVE, ARE CLADS...
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Question about Proof and Mint Sets

Postby totalcount » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:25 pm

lewbo wrote:I am seeing a lot of Proof and Mint sets for sell. Are all of them S mint and would the dollar and/or hald be a silver clad? I would like to buy some but do not want to make a mistake.

The mint sets should be P and D, no S. Also, the pre-1970 mint sets only have a single 40% silver half.
totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals