Ebay Luck?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ebay Luck?

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Wow. I just scored 4 rolls of silver nickels for $229 total. That's $1.43 a piece. With melt at $1.90 that's not bad even with nickels going for lower than melt. Just saw the auction only had an hour left so I read through it a couple times to make sure it wasn't fake or anything and then bid and got it. first silver purchase in a month or so.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Ebay Luck?

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:03 pm

An unexpected typo in an auction title netted me 5 90% Half Dollars for $55 with S&H BIN. Nice.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Aahzmundus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Im new around these parts and am wary of Ebay from what I have read. Let me know how it looks when you actually get them!
Aahzmundus

Postby DuckTales253 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:52 pm

You do need to be diligent to pick things up on eBay, but it can be worth it. I purchase every once in a while. The nice thing is earning the eBay bucks. I just rolled my reward dollars (earned from buying silver and other coins) back into a purchase of more silver. Brought the price down to about 10x face!
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cuag » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 pm

A couple weeks ago I scored 11 1982 George Washington commemoratives for $72 not including eBay bucks. This was a full length auction with other bidders even. Amazed me. I assume people were thinking they were quarters, the body of the listing and the pictures were clear they weren't.
cuag

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:22 pm

cuag wrote:A couple weeks ago I scored 11 1982 George Washington commemoratives for $72 not including eBay bucks. This was a full length auction with other bidders even. Amazed me. I assume people were thinking they were quarters, the body of the listing and the pictures were clear they weren't.

wow well done.

Nickels shipped. I really am not worried about this. the pictures were very distinctly silver nickels and it was through paypal so nothing to lose.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Not silver, but I scored a whole roll of 1909 VDB for just over $6 a coin a month or so. Been selling them individually for $10 and up.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Nickels arrived today. They're too ugly to be anything but war nickels. :P tested everything about em and they're fine.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Got my halves.....all legit.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 am

Man cool deal, I wouldn't mind picking some up around that price. Just offered a low ball offer at 1.30 each. Umm thinking of war nickles my local dealer had literally 2 tons of them all in 200.00 bank boxes for sale at .25 each (per nickel) which was around spot at the time. I thought he was freaking nuts....war nickels at spot sheesh :)
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:51 am

avidbrandy wrote:Wow. I just scored 4 rolls of silver nickels for $229 total. That's $1.43 a piece. With melt at $1.90 that's not bad even with nickels going for lower than melt. Just saw the auction only had an hour left so I read through it a couple times to make sure it wasn't fake or anything and then bid and got it. first silver purchase in a month or so.

That's a great score on the silver nickels. I haven't been able to get them under $1.50 each in a long time.

Another type of auction to look for are the mixed lots of Kennedy halves. I scored a great one recently. The auction title read 'KENNEDY HALF DOLLAR $16 ROLL 32 COINS IN PREMIUM CONDITION MIXED DATES 1964-NOW' and showed a picture with all 32 coins. The description did not provide any details about the dates of the coins and the picture wasn't clear enough to read the dates of all the coins either. But I could tell some silver was in there probably 40% though. When the package arrived it had 22 -90% silver, 4 - 40% silver, and 6 clad. That's about 8 1/2 ounces of silver plus $3 in change to spend and the total including shipping was only $132.25. So I scored some silver at less than half the current spot price.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals