do all coin machines reject silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

do all coin machines reject silver

Postby cwgii » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:59 pm

last month, in one CU, i was able to buy a dime for a buck that the gent kept putting in, and the machine kept rejecting

this week., i got a 1964 that someone had left in the reject slot.

just wondeing, if they all reject silver
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: do all coin machines reject silver

Postby AgCollector » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Nope! If they did, I wouldn't keep buying the bags off the machine in town. Of course, that also means I get piles of canadian ones too...
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:45 pm

No, most of them dont. Most likely the reason the dimes got rejected is because the machines are tuned in to kick out CA dimes and the silver in the dimes confusing the machine to think its ca.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Dvorak » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:08 am

Not sure how sensitive they are to reject silver (2.5g vs. 2.25g), but they sure don't like clad-layer-missing error dimes like the one I found a couple weeks ago :-) (2g)

At first, I was excited because I thought I found an abandoned silver, but the date was 1965 even though it didn't look right at all (toned dark at first glance). Then I was thinking about it and thought maybe it was a 1965 on a silver planchet (jackpot!), but alas it was just clad-layer missing. Still a nice find.
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby AgCollector » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 am

Dvorak wrote:Not sure how sensitive they are to reject silver (2.5g vs. 2.25g), but they sure don't like clad-layer-missing error dimes like the one I found a couple weeks ago :-) (2g)

At first, I was excited because I thought I found an abandoned silver, but the date was 1965 even though it didn't look right at all (toned dark at first glance). Then I was thinking about it and thought maybe it was a 1965 on a silver planchet (jackpot!), but alas it was just clad-layer missing. Still a nice find.

If it's really a missing clad layer it's worth more than a silver dime, so- nice find!
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals