garage sale finds

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

garage sale finds

Postby lance » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Any of you guys search garage sale for coins yet? If so how is your luck? I havnt done it yet but there was one time i scored big on comic books...not huge but a 3x return
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: garage sale finds

Postby corky569 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I have scored silver coins twice. First time was a kid, he had about 2.25 face. Second time was a lady. She had an ase and about another 1.50 face. I paid ten times face both times. I have scored a lot of sterling though. Chains, pendants, cufflinks, even a small cup. It amazes me when people will take a dime or a quarter for a sterling chain?
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Nice....sterling always has the. 925 stamp correct?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby DRP270 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 pm

I do not garage sale but I know some ladies that do. They bring me scrap gold and such I buy from them for more than anyone in town but less than what I could get from a refiner. Good deal on both ends as we continue a generally rising market :D .
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby corky569 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:15 pm

lance wrote:Nice....sterling always has the. 925 stamp correct?

.925 or sterling.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:20 pm

lance wrote:Nice....sterling always has the. 925 stamp correct?

ALMOST always true. Should say sterling, ster, STG, 925, etc. There are times, EXTREMELY rare, but there are times when especially older sterling will not say sterling or 925. I've screwed this up more times than I'd like to admit, but in most cases, if someone is going to use silver they will mark it as such.

I was in a local consignment shop yesterday, a place I stop by about once a month. She knows what I'm looking for. I brought her a necklace and she says, "You found some 14K didn't you....?" I told her no it was just 10k but I could offer more if she thought her consignor needed to be paid more. She said "No! Its marked $5 - that's what it costs." So I scored $20 in gold for $5. (Very light necklace.) The necklace is in very good shape and will likely be worth more than scrap to me. I offered it to my 10 year old daughter who understands that gold and silver is money and she isn't that excited by it. She still cannot understand "why" gold and silver are money. It may wind up in her jewelry case, or it may get sold. Last night I bought a ring at 90% of scrap. (10+ grams 14k for $300). It had a nice diamond in it. I've never learned too much about diamonds, but I brought it to the local jewelry/pawn dealer and he gave me $125 for the diamond alone - even cut it out for free. Then he offered me $200 for the gold which I passed on.

Went to a rummage sale today, and picked up "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego - the board game" for the kids for a buck. Not metal, not valuable, but when my kids can point out Santa Fe on a map - Priceless.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:45 am

Thats funny about your daughter....my daughter and my fiance boys are starting to catch on...i offered her son a half dollar but it wasnt silver for 50 of his copper pennies...and he said no way copper is worth more..maybe for 2 half dollars...lol...keep in mind hes 9
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Heartkill » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 am

Couple months ago I scored several early '60s Canadian mint sets for $12-13 each, along with some old Australian Florin's for a buck each.

I don't come across too many coins at garage sales, but I always ask just in case someone has someone inside the house they want to cut loose. I do better on vintage toys and clothing.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals