Ruthenium breakthrough 'heat battery'

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ruthenium breakthrough 'heat battery'

Postby Ardent Listener » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Ruthenium breakthrough 'could lead to rechargeable heat battery' 27th October 2010
uld
Successful tests involving ruthenium could pave the way for the creation of a new 'rechargeable heat battery', researchers have confirmed.

The thermo-chemical approach to storing the sun's energy was first mooted decades ago, but scientists could not find a substance capable of reversibly switching between absorbing sunlight and releasing heat.

A breakthrough was made in 1996, when it was discovered that ruthenium possessed these qualities, but the precious metal was deemed too expensive to be practical for widespread energy storage.

In addition, the precise workings of the compound were unclear, but a team at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have claimed that they are now closer to finding a solution.

A molecule known as fulvalene diruthenium is able to perform both the absorbing and releasing tasks, but the researchers found that there was an unexpected intermediate step.

Jeffrey Grossman, the Carl Richard Soderberg Associate Professor of Power Engineering in MIT's department of materials, science and engineering, explained that a semi-stable pathway was formed between the two states.

"It takes many of the advantages of solar-thermal energy, but stores the heat in the form of a fuel. It's reversible, and it's stable over a long term," he said.

"You can use it where you want, on demand. You could put the fuel in the sun, charge it up, then use the heat and place the same fuel back in the sun to recharge."

Professor Grossman also confirmed that a fuel made from fulvalene diruthenium can reach 200 degrees C when its heat is released, which would be enough to heat a home or power an engine to produce electricity.

Although the cost concerns in relation to the ruthenium molecule remain, MIT believes that the greater understanding of its workings will allow them to find similar, cheaper molecules to advance the technology.

Ruthenium is also used for wear-resistant electrical contacts and in the production of thick-film resistors.

Sources:

Understanding rare molecule could enable "rechargeable heat battery"(25/10/10)

Catching the sun's heat (26/10/10)

Storing the Sun's Heat (26/10/10)

Technique promises indefinitely storable solar energy (26/10/10)

© Adfero Ltd

http://www.platinum.matthey.com//media- ... 60758.html
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: Ruthenium breakthrough 'heat battery'

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Ardent,

Do you know what Ruthenium looks like in it's natural state? Or, an ore state??
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:37 pm

Not very pretty is it?
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Ardent Listener » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Ruthenium necklace.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks!

Ruthenium is the highest priced PM out there. It may be ugly to some... but I think it is beautiful!

EDIT Oops! My bad. Rhodium, not Ruthenium is the highest priced PM. I don't care. At $400 per Ozt, I hope I find lots of it!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals