Local Coin Shops -Price for silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Local Coin Shops -Price for silver

Postby thecam111 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Went to my local coins shop today, and they were selling junk silver for 20 x face.
Bought a few mercury dimes

How much x face, do your local coin shops sell junk silver for??

cam
thecam111
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Local Coin Shops -Price for silver

Postby Rosco » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Sat I bought nice 1921 Morgan for $20. could have gotten Dimes an Quarters for $18.60

I bought two other coins did not have cash for junk ;)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverGuy23 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:42 pm

I am lucky now.... at this point i can get quarters for 3.95...

and he has 1964 halfs for $8.50 , figure that out? :o

I am getting as many quarters as i can afford every payday....
Keep Stackin'
SilverGuy23
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:39 pm

SilverGuy23 wrote:I am lucky now.... at this point i can get quarters for 3.95...

and he has 1964 halfs for $8.50 , figure that out? :o

He just wants to move them, he's probably paying 15x for them, if that :(
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby oober » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 am

Haven't 90% lately except for random XF Morgans looking for VAMS. Morgans going for 20-23 each right now. I did get 10 Silver Phils last week for 25 ea shipped though.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:00 am

The one I visit the most had dimes and quarters at 15-17X face last week. I cleaned out the silver at 15X, they still have more at 17-20X. Not sure if I want to for anything over 17X. Whay do you guys think about it??
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 am

Dave wrote:The one I visit the most had dimes and quarters at 15-17X face last week. I cleaned out the silver at 15X, they still have more at 17-20X. Not sure if I want to for anything over 17X. Whay do you guys think about it??

You got a great deal on the 15x face. What was the difference (condition? type?) between the ones you bought and the ones he's asking more for? If you think 17x is too much, just save your money and tell the coin shop guy you'll buy any more of the same you just bought at the same price, just call you when more comes in. Not too many people are selling right now, they're waiting to see how high the price might rise before selling too soon and regretting their decision. Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 am

beauanderos wrote:
Dave wrote:The one I visit the most had dimes and quarters at 15-17X face last week. I cleaned out the silver at 15X, they still have more at 17-20X. Not sure if I want to for anything over 17X. Whay do you guys think about it??

You got a great deal on the 15x face. What was the difference (condition? type?) between the ones you bought and the ones he's asking more for? If you think 17x is too much, just save your money and tell the coin shop guy you'll buy any more of the same you just bought at the same price, just call you when more comes in. Not too many people are selling right now, they're waiting to see how high the price might rise before selling too soon and regretting their decision. Image

I have seen people in the coin shops I frequent selling their silver coins every time I have been in them during the last couple of months. The last time I was in the one dealer was paying 16.5 X face I but didn't ask what he was selling it for. But there is quite a difference between shops as to what they buy silver for from their customers.

Looks like gold and silver are headed south this morning following our election results. :!:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 pm

I deal with 2 shops and they're pretty consistant with junk silver prices over the last couple of years: they pay 10% below spot for 90% and sell near spot; 40% pays 15% below spot and they sell for about 5% under spot. Makes it a lot easier when considering buying or selling moves.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tomthumb » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 pm

I was quoted $18,300 for $1000 face today in Portland OR :!:
Tomthumb

Postby rainsonme » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Check some of the "packaged" sets in the coin stores. They haven't updated all of their prices, and generally honor what is marked on the package. On Tue I bought a complete roosevelt dime set thru 1988 for $74. That is 48 silver dimes plus $4.20 in clad dimes, plus the book. That works out to under melt for the 48 silver dimes. No key dates among the roosevelts, but still a good deal. There were other "packaged" sets that appeared to sell for under melt.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennysifter » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:09 am

My local shop does $.50 under melt for buy and $.50 over for sell. Been buying Pre-21 Morgans for 18-19 each. $20 gets a XF-AU Morgan or Peace. They always have a lot of stock.
pennysifter

Postby AgCollector » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:59 am

rainsonme wrote:Check some of the "packaged" sets in the coin stores. They haven't updated all of their prices, and generally honor what is marked on the package. On Tue I bought a complete roosevelt dime set thru 1988 for $74. That is 48 silver dimes plus $4.20 in clad dimes, plus the book. That works out to under melt for the 48 silver dimes. No key dates among the roosevelts, but still a good deal. There were other "packaged" sets that appeared to sell for under melt.

I've tried this at coin shows too when the price goes up a lot, none of them like it and several have refused to sell. What frustrates me is that, when the price goes down it's not like they're dropping their prices...
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:16 am

Paid 18x on a few dollars of dimes back with silver at $24.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby appjoe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:32 pm

This past Sunday Oct.31 I bought 17 Franklin halves at $7.75 each from a dealer so that comes out to 15.5x I didn't think that was a bad deal
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Have made 3 trips to my local coin shop this week. Bought quarters $3 to $3.50 and $3.75 for a nice 37S I needed to complete a set. Halfs for $6.50, peace dollars for $17. silver pandas for $23.50 and ASE's for $25. Also bought a couple of gold coins 100 balboa for $325 and a 1/2 oz eagle in a pcgs 69 slab for $700.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby Metalhead » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:40 am

For the past year or so, I've never found a coin shop or pawn shop around here where I didn't feel like they were trying to rip me off. Most of the guys that own these types of places are greedy jerks. Then a couple weeks ago I found an ad on craigslist from somebody selling some Morgan & Peace dollars. Turns out he runs a private coin & collectible 'shop' in a small unmarked office. He deals in all kinds of coins, including a lot of high end stuff that he sells to buyers in China for big $$. But he was such a nice guy, took time to talk to me about silver, gold, coins, etc. He was extremely knowledgeable, offered to take a look at any of my coins for free, would send them in to get slabbed at cost, look up the value in price books, etc. Overall very cool guy. And the icing on the cake is that he will sell me gold and silver at SPOT price, no mark ups. He even had a couple of 1/10 gold eagles he would sell for spot. Well, I think the ASE's he was selling for +1, but all other silver was at spot. I think I'm going to just start buying from him as much as I can. Forget premiums and high shipping costs! So far I've gotten a handful of silver dollars and a couple other bullion products.
Metalhead

Postby andrewjackson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:12 am

8-). The coin shop that I buy from sells me 90 % at spot and 9.99 at 3 dollars above spot.
Its a good coin shop, that's why they get my business.
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby appjoe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Metalhead wrote:For the past year or so, I've never found a coin shop or pawn shop around here where I didn't feel like they were trying to rip me off. Most of the guys that own these types of places are greedy jerks. Then a couple weeks ago I found an ad on craigslist from somebody selling some Morgan & Peace dollars. Turns out he runs a private coin & collectible 'shop' in a small unmarked office. He deals in all kinds of coins, including a lot of high end stuff that he sells to buyers in China for big $$. But he was such a nice guy, took time to talk to me about silver, gold, coins, etc. He was extremely knowledgeable, offered to take a look at any of my coins for free, would send them in to get slabbed at cost, look up the value in price books, etc. Overall very cool guy. And the icing on the cake is that he will sell me gold and silver at SPOT price, no mark ups. He even had a couple of 1/10 gold eagles he would sell for spot. Well, I think the ASE's he was selling for +1, but all other silver was at spot. I think I'm going to just start buying from him as much as I can. Forget premiums and high shipping costs! So far I've gotten a handful of silver dollars and a couple other bullion products.

Be careful of the counterfeit Morgans coming from China. I was reading a post here telling about them and from what I saw and read it's hard to tell them apart it said they even fool dealers. Check out the post and watch the video. The post is listed here as (Fake 90% silver coins).
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BOHICA » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:25 pm

I picked up $33.50 face value yesterday at 19.25x. I also picked up some nice looking foreign silver; a beautiful .925 Belize 1974 silver proof set, some Canadian dollars and some Australian Shillings.

Funny thing was I was the only person in there that was buying, at least 8 others were in there selling mostly jewelry and some coins.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jasmatk » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 pm

i had to go to 3 shops today to find any silver .one was sold out,one told me they pulled everything untill it goes over $30 then they would sell,and the 3rd had hardly any 90% and only 4 eagles that i quickly bought.left the 90% for someone else to buy.on the way out i asked what they pay for 90% he said 15x and they were selling at about 20x.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:16 pm

BOHICA wrote:I picked up $33.50 face value yesterday at 19.25x. I also picked up some nice looking foreign silver; a beautiful .925 Belize 1974 silver proof set, some Canadian dollars and some Australian Shillings.

Funny thing was I was the only person in there that was buying, at least 8 others were in there selling mostly jewelry and some coins.

Not many shops in my area. However, there are some great bargains to be had in quality foreign SILVER. You gotta know what the coins are worth and then go in for the killing at a steep discount to spot. 8-)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby alpacafarmer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Went to local coin shop today and picked up $74.06 worth ( at melt) of Canadian silver for $42.50.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals