Safe Deposit Boxes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Safe Deposit Boxes

Postby amalekidad » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 pm

A while back I was reading some threads here and it seemed that the consensus was not to use Safe Deposit boxes. Now some other threads are saying different.
Should I use a safe deposit box? If so, are there any guidelines? If not, why not?
Thanks,
Amaleki's Dad
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Safe Deposit Boxes

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:16 pm

If/when the banking system collapes, do you think they will let you access your safety deposit box?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:21 pm

The best bet is to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket:
A home safe is vulnerable to a home invasion
A safe deposit box is vulnerable to the IRS or other seizures
An empty lima bean can is safe from almost anyone...because nobody likes lima beans. :lol:

Having a safe deposit box is still good though. Just don't put ALL your eggs in it.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby db23 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:55 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/14/co ... daughters/

Just because something is at the bank doesn't make it completely safe from home invasion...
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Engineer called it. Split your stash.

Being robbed or burglerized is much more likely than the fedgov grabbing SDB's. So are house fires and floods.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 pm

When my Grandfather died in 1978 by the time my folks made it to Grandmas to help settle things (maybe 2 or 3 days) the bank had frozen the accounts and when they went to the bank to check the SDB there were "auditors" that had drilled the box and were going through the contents. I am not sure why or exactly what the details were but I remember mom fuming over it and being really pissed off for some time to come. Splitting things up is by far the best idea.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

If you really want to stay under the radar, don't own nice stuff, dress like your poor. In my neighborhood, we have home invasions, and plenty of guns, a couple of people a year are gunned down. I keep most/if not all in the safe deposit box because if they had a gun to my head, I would probably go pull my stash from hiding and give it to them. I'm not giving into paranoia, I think the SDB at this time is the safest place for my PM's. Also, consider getting two SDB with separate banks.

Still, read the contract you signed with the bank when they gave you the key, it says, do not store anything of value in this SDB, and the bank is not responsible for anything the employees steal from the SDB.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals