Annoying the Craigslist scammers

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Annoying the Craigslist scammers

Postby Engineer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Somebody keeps flagging my Craigslist ad offering to buy 90% at 23X, dollars for $25, and premiums paid for key dates.

Apparently I managed to annoy one of the local scam artists that offer 50-65%. :lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Annoying the Craigslist scammers

Postby bman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:38 pm

no fair offering good prices for stuff....how can the scammers compete? :twisted:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Oakair » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Id say offer 3-5% more than the best offer posted (never spot!)...But my ethical orientation is, lets say, questionable :)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Engineer, meet slickeast. slickeast, this is Engineer.

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13522
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Oakair wrote:Id say offer 3-5% more than the best offer posted (never spot!)...But my ethical orientation is, lets say, questionable :)

The problem with doing it that way is that you're hurting your ability to sell for a good price locally.

tractorman wrote:Engineer, meet slickeast. slickeast, this is Engineer.

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13522

That's not a bad price, but I'm hunting for the occasional gem you find in the wild. ;)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:34 pm

last year I put up my 1st CL ad offering$1 more for scrap AG than local shops. flagged in 10 minutes. they are no dummies.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Heck, don't you guys remember the "lets flag my competitor" campaigns, right here on RC? I actually took part. I regret that because I realized I was hearing only one side of the story. Still yet, I could be convinced to take part in a campaign against a guy offering 23x for 90% and would decline my '64 Kennedy's, if I knew it for a fact.
Last edited by tractorman on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby baggerman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 pm

I get flagged all the time for ad wanting to buy ag or foreign coins and for ads wanting to sell pennies. Hell I just keep reposting.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:01 am

tractorman wrote:Heck, don't you guys remember the "lets flag my competitor" campaigns, right here on RC?

I can see why some people would want to do it, but I consider it to be the lowest form of business practice. I've seen many companies fall over the years after they chose to badmouth their competitor rather than strive to provide competitive products or services.

By trying to scam the public to sell to the wholesalers (with the occasional retail sell to people here), we're pushing the silver into the hands of buyers who won't overpay and preying on the weak to do it. This only weakens our nation(s) as a whole as we take silver out of the hands of the public, and move it into stronger hands where it will go overseas.

By forcing the retail market to be a little more honest through honest deals of our own we'll lose the opportunity for a quick score, but we can build more public enthusiasm for PMs which will drive up local retail prices through higher demand...and keep real wealth in our own communities.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:04 am

baggerman wrote:I get flagged all the time for ad wanting to buy ag or foreign coins and for ads wanting to sell pennies. Hell I just keep reposting.

I actually consider it to be a good thing because every time they flag me I go back up to the top of the page. ;)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:11 am

Engineer wrote:
tractorman wrote:Heck, don't you guys remember the "lets flag my competitor" campaigns, right here on RC?

I can see why some people would want to do it, but I consider it to be the lowest form of business practice. I've seen many companies fall over the years after they chose to badmouth their competitor rather than strive to provide competitive products or services.

By trying to scam the public to sell to the wholesalers (with the occasional retail sell to people here), we're pushing the silver into the hands of buyers who won't overpay and preying on the weak to do it. This only weakens our nation(s) as a whole as we take silver out of the hands of the public, and move it into stronger hands where it will go overseas.

By forcing the retail market to be a little more honest through honest deals of our own we'll lose the opportunity for a quick score, but we can build more public enthusiasm for PMs which will drive up local retail prices through higher demand...and keep real wealth in our own communities.

I guess I edited my original post ... upon further reflection ... while you were typing. Sorry.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:27 am

tractorman wrote:I guess I edited my original post ... upon further reflection ... while you were typing. Sorry.

No problem. For what its worth though, I'd buy 64's locally on the off chance of finding something that the people on RC wouldn't sell without a premium. I think of it much the same as buying bags of wheats from a dealer versus someone's estate. Even if you pay the same price on both bags, the dealer will likely strip out all the S mints, and would NEVER knowingly leave an S-VDB in the pile, while there's always a chance to find something good in Grandpa's coin collection when the kids sell it off.

If they put the work into finding out what they're selling, I'll pay them a fair price...but if they're in too much of a rush to get the cash to do their homework, I likely won't find that S-VDB until I get home.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:35 am

Engineer wrote:
tractorman wrote:I guess I edited my original post ... upon further reflection ... while you were typing. Sorry.

No problem. For what its worth though, I'd buy 64's locally on the off chance of finding something that the people on RC wouldn't sell without a premium. I think of it much the same as buying bags of wheats from a dealer versus someone's estate. Even if you pay the same price on both bags, the dealer will likely strip out all the S mints, and would NEVER knowingly leave an S-VDB in the pile, while there's always a chance to find something good in Grandpa's coin collection when the kids sell it off.

If they put the work into finding out what they're selling, I'll pay them a fair price...but if they're in too much of a rush to get the cash to do their homework, I likely won't find that S-VDB until I get home.

Right on. I think we just differ in our definition of "craigslist scammer."
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals