A Coinstar Find To End All Finds

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A Coinstar Find To End All Finds

Postby Heartkill » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:03 pm

First off, hope every Veteran past and present out there had an enjoyable day.

I can't technically take credit for this find since my wife is the one who grabbed 'em, but there part of "our" stash now. This all started at Kroger. We wanted to pick up a nice bottle of wine to end our evening with and as I'm at the register, wife strolls over to the Coinstar machine, looks back like her ass is on fire, and starts stuffing her pockets. At first I thought she found a bunch of regular old rejects, foreign coins, etc. - no... oh no... she knew they were silver just by the sound. When we got out to the car I thought I was having an out of body experience. We managed to calm ourselves enough to get home and sort them out. This is what she found: 145 silver Roosevelts, 46 Mercs, 2 silver quarters, 6 zinc pennies, 1 copper penny, 1 wheat penny, 5 steel 1943 pennies, 1 2001 nickel (odd), 1 '68 Canadian dime, 1 1938 half-penny, a 1921 Italian? 10c, 1962 Ireland 1 Scilling, a 2004 coin with Arabic writing (no idea what it could be), 1971 British New Penny, 1929 German 10 Reichspfennig and a 1934 German 1 Reichspfennig. So in total, $19.68 in change, almost $400 in melt value... lesson learned - CHECK THE COINSTAR REJECT TRAY! :o And now for some pics :mrgreen:

The pile

Spread them out a bit

Silver Roosies

Mercs

Quarters

The junk and foreign stuff
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Re: A Coinstar Find To End All Finds

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Taching! Nice find dude. Total win.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 pm

she was taught well
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Kurr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Sounds like somebody got robbed. Who is in such a hurry as to leave THAT much in the reject tray?

Good score for you though! WHAT A HAUL!!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:19 pm

And here I am getting excited over the dirty and ugly abes that it wont process that people leave behind :mrgreen:

Thats a great score and probably a record coinstar find for us searchers would be my guess
TXBullion

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Holy crap! this calls for two bottles of wine!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:32 pm

I agree with Kurr some idiot probably stole them them, got frustrated and left when the machine kept rejecting them.

This is not the typical elderly old lady situation.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Country » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Totally unbelievable!!! Super Congrats... :mrgreen:

I never see anything in the coinstar reject trays around here.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby agmoose » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:54 pm

And I damn near wrecked my car when I got a silver Canadian Quarter in change at a fast food joint!

Wow - congrats. I checked two coinstars today - got one 1991 Penny. LOL.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby billo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Amazing! True, strange situation of how those coins got there.
Nickel and (silver) dime me.
billo
Penny Collector Member

Postby Heartkill » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:09 pm

It had to have been a big stash because of the few older foreign coins. We were both wondering who would just leave almost $20 in face of coins there. My wife said as she was scooping out a handful another load would drop down. There was a group of carts in front of the machine and that's what I think kept them hidden, unless someone had just dumped them and we were in the right place at the right time.

I get jacked up when I pull one 40%er out of box... were both still in shock over this. Country, I might have to have my wife sign up and stake her claim. She's a lucky one ;)
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Give that woman some extra loving!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby smalltimeopn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Holy cow!!! Awesome score!!!
I don't use coinstars, only the machines at BBT's. From time to time I find small rocks, trash, and so far 2 foreign coins (1 is my avatar). Your score is a home run to center field with the bases loaded! Congrats!!!
Last edited by smalltimeopn on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:38 pm

I hope you're going to reward her appropriately! Hint, hint... southernbelle has a ryedale she wants to trade for $400, maybe she'll take dimes 8-)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby TXTim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Outstanding!!! :ugeek:
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Holy chit. Amazing CS find. Where am I when the reject bin is full like that? Congrats!
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:22 am

And I thought the $3 face of silver I've found so far at the coinstar was good! Great score!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby ScottyTX » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:18 am

Wow, I once drove all over town checking 10 coinstars and founs 7 mexican coins and a mercury dime that cured me :) Three things come to mind, and ederly woman cashed then in, but most of them are used to rolling up change and putting it in the bank so.... #2 Some kid went to dump Paw Paw's change jar... #3 any pants sagging individuals walking around outside??
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PennyPauper » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:57 am

So Sweet. Congrats.I have my one daughter trained to check any coin machine we pass be it in a bank or market,she usually finds something.Can't wait to tell the wife about this find,maybe I won't get so many eye rolls now. Best part of your find is if you wait a few days,weeks it will be worth even more the way silver is taking off. Reinforces my thought that the explosion in coin counting machines are the best thing that happened for coin searchers ever.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Heartkill » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:19 am

ScottyTX wrote:Wow, I once drove all over town checking 10 coinstars and founs 7 mexican coins and a mercury dime that cured me :) Three things come to mind, and ederly woman cashed then in, but most of them are used to rolling up change and putting it in the bank so.... #2 Some kid went to dump Paw Paw's change jar... #3 any pants sagging individuals walking around outside??

We were thinking either a kid raided a hand-me down stash and got so frustrated the machine wouldn't take the coins or #3... although this was in a decent area of town.

PennyPauper wrote:So Sweet. Congrats.I have my one daughter trained to check any coin machine we pass be it in a bank or market,she usually finds something.Can't wait to tell the wife about this find,maybe I won't get so many eye rolls now. Best part of your find is if you wait a few days,weeks it will be worth even more the way silver is taking off. Reinforces my thought that the explosion in coin counting machines are the best thing that happened for coin searchers ever.

I think these are the best times ever for coin searchers, whether you do customer rolls, boxes, bags... anything to get a shot at someone else's desperate need for worthless FRN's. Add to the fact that the holiday shopping sprees are just around the corner, I see more big scores in the future.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby NiBullionCu » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:12 am

First of all congrats on the score of a lifetime!

The 2004 arabic coin looks to be a Pakistan rupee.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 am

I check the coinstar bins when I'm near one, but have never found anything. Nice score. My finds in bank boxes of halves is in an uptrend. There's still silver out there, and it's coming out of the woodwork with the rotten economy, so I guess, good news/bad news. 8-)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby misteroman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:44 am

beauanderos wrote:I hope you're going to reward her appropriately! Hint, hint... southernbelle has a ryedale she wants to trade for $400, maybe she'll take dimes 8-)

No she doesn't 'hint hint'
Incredible job there man. I've only found canadians in there. Coins not people :lol:
misteroman

Postby MO-SILVER! » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am

I have only found a chewed up 1962 nickel in coinstars. Oh well ill keep checking!
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:28 am

Dont forget to check under the CS machine. I find lots of change all the time under coin counters.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals