Help me figure this coin out

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Help me figure this coin out

Postby TXBullion » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Its a Silver coin but this might be a numi question so mods please move.

Picked up some silver at a local coin shop the other day. Grabbed two holed Seated Liberty Quarters below melt and didnt realize it until I got home the back on one is funny. The date of the one with the design on the back is 1857. Its a little bit thin and kind of "beat out" but I beleive that was from the process to make it.

Please let me know what this is. I tried to do some research and found love tokens but I dont see any initials on here. Please let me know what I am dealing with here fellow realcenters

TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Help me figure this coin out

Postby TXTim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Possible love token
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:41 pm

I'd classify that as a love token. Probably just unfinished, engraved in the same way. If you sold it as such on e-bay as a love token you'd might get 20 bucks for it. Maybe more cause its a rarer quarter. If you put "hobo nickel" in the title your market will be expanded greatly as well.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:40 am

The coin is a Liberty Seated Type Quarter that was made into a token. The coin dates between 1853 to 1866.

The star on the coin is called a heptagram or septegram. To read more about the possible meanings go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heptagram

In order for me to view the entire picture, I had to look directly at:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... seated.jpg
Copper Catcher

Postby BOHICA » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:45 pm

CC, that coin has an eight sided star and not a seven sided as in the Heptagram.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:35 pm

opps my mistake...
Copper Catcher

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals