Craigslist scammer. How do you report this?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Craigslist scammer. How do you report this?

Postby DebtFreeMe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Came across this post when I was searching adds http://tucson.craigslist.org/clt/3076648210.html

He is either really ignorant or he's just trying to steal what he can from others that are to ignorant.

Anyone know how to report this? Or should I even report it, I'm very libertarian leaning, so if consenting adults want to pay those prices for silver clad bars, who am I to decide otherwise?
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Re: Craigslist scammer. How do you report this?

Postby Thogey » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 am

I should offer to buy them all and have him drive to Prescott, than change my mind.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 am

What does he mean be "clad?"

If you want to junk him, you simply have to click on the "spam" link in the upper right corner of his ad. If enough people click there, craigslist will remove his ad.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:11 am

I flagged is as miscategorized because the title says .999 fine silver art bars.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 am

I flagged the ad, but it wouldn't hurt to put up another post letting people know its a scam.

On the subject of libertarianism; I agree there's no need to report him to the authorities, but there's nothing wrong with warning your neighbors about a con man. If people keep outing him, he'll move on to greener pastures.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Bluegill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:11 am

I'm really not seeing how this is a scam. He fully discloses what they are and the pics fully disclose what they are. He states that they are indeed clad bars, just like the pics show...

After reading the ad and looking at the pics, I knew exactly what was up for sale. I saw no misrepresentation in the ad.

However, as pointed out the title does exclude "clad". An honest oversight or deliberate misrepresentation? Seeing as how he fully states they are clad bars in the body of the ad, I 'm leaning towards the former.

That said, I still flagged him because of a pet peeve of mine. He states $20, yet that is not his true price. I get annoyed with that practice. I flag nonsense like that when ever I come across it. That is not an honest oversight...
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 am

Come on Bluegill, you really read that ad and don't think that the guy is total scum? He is clearly trying to rip off the ignorant. It's a pure scumbag play. Sure, it's probably not breaking any law, but he is still scum.

I just flagged it.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DebtFreeMe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:43 am

Thanks all for your advice and help. Engineer, I do have to agree with your take on being libertarian, warning others about a bad deal/possible scam is different than asking the authorities to step in.

Bluegill, although I agree with you that he does state the word clad, all throughout the post he talks as if these are full silver bars; he talks about melting them down. We in the PM community know that if you melt down a clad bar you will end up with worthless crap not a lump of silver, but for those that may not be as into this as us, all they see is that it is .999 silver and may not know what clad means, and therefore miss the fact that these are just a very thin layer of silver on top of some very inexpensive filler base metal.

So is he committing fraud, no, is he playing to the ignorance of people that may be looking for the safety of hard money without the education needed to not get ripped off by some of the lowest common denominators in the PM community, yes... (Please note I think on here and some other boards, we as a community do a great job at weeding out these kind of folks early on, that's why I enjoy this community).

I have now also flagged him.

Thanks again.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby aaa30040 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 am

Someone is selling them on ebay also. I almost bought one because after reading the title it seemed like a deal. Good thing my phone rang and I had time to read the whole listing before I hit buy now. Definitely trying to take advantage of people who only read the title, but then have no basis to complain since they didn;t read the whole listing.
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Postby galenrog » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 am

Sent the listed this msg:

"The clad silver bars you have listed are NOT valuable. They are art bars of a base metal that is plated with silver. The bars are NOT pure silver. The bars under the silver plating are likely a brass or bronze alloy. I am a regular buyer of silver and am offered such items on a regular basis. Look at the writing on the bar itself. The word CLAD means exactly that. Total silver weight of these bars is likely less than 1/10 gram. Please take these items to your local coin shop and have my opinion validated by a local professional."

Hope this helps the lister, but I doubt it.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 am

Way to go, team. After seeing all the fake bars, I'm sticking to junk silver. At least for now.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:34 pm

the item has been flagged for removal
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals