XRF Analyzer for PMs ???

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

XRF Analyzer for PMs ???

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Does anyone here have access to, or has experience with using a XRF analyzer that determines the percentages of the metals in PM alloys?

I'm working on a project to melt scrap gold and cast a custom-made ring myself, and this is my first time at calculating a gold alloy.

I'm trading Ag for a 14K ring, an 18K ring, and a 1/4 oz gold coin from one of the RealCenters on here. I need to have those rings analyzed so I can calculate what needs to be added to end up with the 17K finished alloy that I want.

My rough calc shows that by adding a silver dime to the mix, it will be pretty close; but it could be on the edge of being green/yellow gold, instead of the yellow gold alloy I'm hoping for.

Can anyone help me out to get an analysis?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: XRF Analyzer for PMs ???

Postby Market Harmony » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:22 am

What is the exact composition of the alloy you are looking to produce?
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: XRF Analyzer for PMs ???

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 am

I'm looking at this ternary plot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold
The sweet spot I'm shooting for is 70% Au, 15% Ag, and 15% Cu. That would turn out to be yellow gold, at slightly less than 17 Karats.

The two rings in question are yellow gold, but the percentages of Ag and Cu are unknown.
Yellow 18K gold has a range of 75% Au, 20% to 10% Ag, and 15% to 5% Cu
Yellow 14K gold has a range of 58.33% Au, 27% to 4% Ag, and 28% to 14% Cu

My first calculation was at 70% Au, 20% Ag, and 10% Cu. Plotted on the color chart that alloy is very close to the vertical line where yellow turns to green/yellow. Too close for comfort with the rings' alloys unknown.

Simply melting the three pieces of gold would result in 79.666% Au, with the Ag & Cu percents unknown. That would be a bit more than 19K gold, too soft for a ring. I can add small amounts of coin silver and copper wire to adjust my alloy to spec.

Of course, I made a cool little Excel calculator to make it easy to jigger the percentages.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals