Don't store AG with AU?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Don't store AG with AU?

Postby HelloMeteor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:43 pm

I've heard you're not supposed to store the two together because it promotes tarnish, or something like that. Is this true? If both items are sealed pretty much in plastic, like one of those air tite holders would it be ok?
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Don't store AG with AU?

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:02 pm

I've never heard of anything like that. Gold is supposed to be inert, meaning it won't react with anything. As far as silver tarnishing, just the air can cause that to occur. But there's a better reason for not storing them together. If you have enough invested that you've graduated to gold in addition to silver, then I would split my stash so that if you ever get robbed, they wouldn't get everything. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:18 pm

I would love to know some proper storage techniques. Do you guys use the anti tarnish black things or silica packets with your stash? I know I have a 1988 Eagle that looks like I just came off the press and I have a 1999 that was stored at the top of a closed roll and it has a tarnish ring around it. What do you do to keep them safe from tarnish then
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:14 pm

i think that tarnish is called "toning" on Ag, (correct me if i'm wrong)...from what i see in my limited knowledge, some collectors seem to like it. i like blast white GEM BU!! i keep everything in air tight rolls, buried deep, and i'm crazy as an outhouse rat.

(i made my self laugh, that was a good line)

of all my rolls, i gotta say my favorite is a roll of 1932 Washington's, they're only 8 to 12's, grade wise...maybe 4's i dont know, but they mean something to me, coz i think of the Depression and i think how many hands held these coins, what that money meant to them, etc.
my granma raised me and used to tell me stories about the Depression, so i been expecting this D2 all my life.

the roll i regret LOSING, ie being outbid on Ebay was a roll of UNC 1936 Washington's, it was my own fault, getting cute with nickels, shoulda of went balls to the wall, put an outragous snipe on....coz i think the winner, got it for 18X, or 19X, when UNC rolls were trading 12X...oh well.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:40 pm

ive never heard of having to kep the two seperate...

i keep my stash in a few seperate spots.

like ray said, so as not to lose everything

i keep silica packets in with my ASE's and bars and rounds - junk 90% i dont worry about - but i keep it dry and airtight...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:04 pm

I think the saying goes "Don't yoke a donkey with an Ox." :mrgreen:
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 pm

I know for electrical work it is against code to use copper as a tie wire because it reacts with the other metals and breaks apart fast. I dont work with silver though.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Ardent Listener wrote:I think the saying goes "Don't yoke a donkey with an Ox." :mrgreen:

Which one is which?
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Computer Jones » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Ardent Listener wrote:I think the saying goes "Don't yoke a donkey with an Ox." :mrgreen:

Ye spake well!

Separate pens keep the stock healthy (and wealthy and wise?!?).
(My apologies to old Benny!)
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:27 am

I had been wondering this myself lately. I had initially been putting each ounce in an airtite, and then in some cases putting them in nice cases to keep them safe; but now I'm not sure it matters so much.

As they are not numismatics, surely just chucking them all in a cloth bag would suffice?

They'll all melt the same right?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals