anyone ever notice this or can explain it?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

anyone ever notice this or can explain it?

Postby lance » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Seems like silver prices were low in 04....08...and now here in 2012...every 4 years...kinda weird
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: anyone ever notice this or can explain it?

Postby pennypanner » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm just guessing but maybe election years has something to do with it.
pennypanner

Postby lance » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Hmm
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby RTPMarine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:50 pm

pennypanner wrote:I'm just guessing but maybe election years has something to do with it.

I'll expand on this.

In 2006 and 2008, major down-ticks were seen ahead of big democratic wins in the House and Senate. In 2010, the opposite happened. Republicans were expected to take large gains in the House, and they did just that. You don't see a major fall in silver during pre-election time that year.

The trend will end this year as silver is heading downwards, but Republicans are expected to take significant gains in both the House and Senate. Maybe people are just betting on Obama winning, which is likely.
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 pm

RTPMarine wrote:
pennypanner wrote:The trend will end this year as silver is heading downwards, but Republicans are expected to take significant gains in both the House and Senate. Maybe people are just betting on Obama winning, which is likely.

So, if Mittens wins, silver goes up?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby lance » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

RTPMarine wrote:
pennypanner wrote:I'm just guessing but maybe election years has something to do with it.

I'll expand on this.

In 2006 and 2008, major down-ticks were seen ahead of big democratic wins in the House and Senate. In 2010, the opposite happened. Republicans were expected to take large gains in the House, and they did just that. You don't see a major fall in silver during pre-election time that year.

The trend will end this year as silver is heading downwards, but Republicans are expected to take significant gains in both the House and Senate. Maybe people are just betting on Obama winning, which is likely.

You expect silver to drop even lower?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 pm

I agree... silver is heading down. slowly but surely. Back before the recession, it was at like $6 an oz, right? I am highly doubtful we will ever see it that low again, but keep in mind, We hit all time records in the past couple of years.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby lance » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:58 pm

So you guys are expecting a significant drop then what? Hoping it skyrockets down the road?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby RTPMarine » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:06 pm

I didn't mean to imply that silver would go any further downward, just that it has already dropped from $35+ to $27 this year, a 25% loss of value.
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:06 pm

not a short term drop, but several years, at the minimum, of a return to the 5-15 range.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:19 pm

2004: High of 9
2008: High of 21, low of 9 - 2006 ignored due to 2008 having a higher high and a lower low.
2011/2012: High of 49, low of ???

What's my point? 21 is a 133% increase from 9, and 49 is a 133% increase from 21. If this pattern continues on a percentage basis we will see 21 again, and the next blow off top would be 114. Food for thought. I only give 21 a 50/50 chance because the supply is tight, but even if it does happen it will be consistent with this bull market.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals