sterling silverware

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

sterling silverware

Postby apdigs8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 pm

"I am also a big fan of having a nice set of unmonogramed sterling flatware. Silver that you can use....boy is it nice to break it out for the holidays."
-Rodebaugh

considering silvers beneficial healing and anti disease properties, you'd be crazy not to use sterling EVERY day- do NOT save it for the holidays! If you don't have any SILVERware... I would definitely recommend getting some... they're the first pieces i'd recommend buying and the last i'd recommend selling...
it is the last part of my stack i'd liquidate, that is for sure... we have known for 5,000 years that silver obliterates bacteria and viruses... but we simply forgot this in the last 50 years of brainwashing... if you have sterling available to you, you would be crazy not to use it every day. ( Assuming you want to live longer of course-- maybe keeping your silver in mint condition is more important than potentially adding a few more years to your life )

It boggles my mind how many people have their shinies all locked away and get them twice a year to count- why not enjoy your investment every single day... while it nurses you back to health? Holding sterling is grossly efficient if you're trying to cut down on the amount of possessions you own- you can count it as your dishes and then again as your investment
apdigs8
Penny Sorter Member

Re: sterling silverware

Postby Kurr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:10 pm

People back in the day used to put a silver dime in their quartofmilk to keep it safer longer.

I have an aunt that makes cooked cabbage on New Years, and ALWAYS cooks it with a silver dime or two in the pot!

And recently I have seen a set of brass table service I thought looked REALLY nice. The FDA and the EPA recently approved copper as a solid antimicrobial as well.

Silver particles, I have heard, destroy virus' on contact by causing their protective protien shell to literally disintigrate, killing the virus.

I been meaning to get some collodial sometime.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Hey Kurr, does she pull them out before serving or is it a game to see who wins the silver?!

Very cool about the milk too
TXBullion

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:22 pm

Copper flatware would look nice, but it tastes kinda funny... :D
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:49 pm

I still have the Gorham 12 piece Shamrock set that I listed for sale earlier. And now, I also just have another set that I recently picked up... this one is the Lunt 12 piece Mount Vernon design. It isn't as heavy as the Gorham set, but the design is highly collectible. However, at these high silver prices, people are most interested in them as scrap, or less.

So which 23 realcent members should I invite over for a silver dinner?
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Treetop » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 pm

I prefer my valuables hidden. but I agree with the premise..... I use plated silverware, it plated in .999 also. and if it gets stolen I can replace it real easy. I paid about 4-5 bucks for it, in a bulk bin at goodwill.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Would you get the same benefit with plated silverware vs sterling for the antimicrobial?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah of course, only silver touches my food, and in fact the silver that touches my food is .999 not .925.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby appjoe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:55 pm

Years ago I use to raise Angel fish and if they got sick and I didn't know what kind of bacteria it was as in gram positive or gram negative to treat with antibiotics. I would drop a silver bar in the tank and it seemed to help of course there is good bacteria that they need and it would also kill that off so you had to do a lot of water changes to stop amonnia from building up.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 pm

I have to wonder if this is why I haven't been sick in years? I'm constantly handling silver. Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:13 pm

ive only eaten with real sterling silverware once... it leaves kind of a different taste in your mouth.

is that normal ?

is that something one can become accustomed to ?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 pm

aloneibreak wrote:ive only eaten with real sterling silverware once... it leaves kind of a different taste in your mouth.

is that normal ?

interesting. I find mine rather neutral in taste. In fact if I use a steel fork now, it tastes strange..... Was there any cleaners or anything used on this stuff? I know my grandmas used to whip out a sterling set every now and then, and it tasted strange from whatever she polished it with.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 am

About five years ago, I went around Antique shops looking for REAL SILVERWARE. If one doesn't care about everything matching perfectly, one can still put together an impressive set of silverware to eat from. I just found some good utensils at Goodwill! Just look for individual spoons, forks, etc; soon your family and you will be "eating from a silver spoon".
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:01 am

aloneibreak wrote:ive only eaten with real sterling silverware once... it leaves kind of a different taste in your mouth.

is that normal ?

I NEVER could eat with the silverware that my mom had. She used it on a daily basis and didn't keep it put away to be polished and brought out on holidays.
She had to keep some regular tableware for me to use.

It not only left a different taste in my mouth, it caused my mouth to water terribly. Just thinking about it today does the same thing--my mouth is watering and my skin is crawling just thinking about silver in my mouth. Aluminum does something similar. If I miss a piece of aluminum foil that the baked potato had been wrapped in and it comes in contact with my teeth it is as if an electrical shock was sent through my body.

Must be some sort of allergy/intolerance reaction.

Same thing about the lining on crowns I have had. The dentist had to go to using a titanium lined crown as I had no reaction to that type.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 pm

a few years ago when silver crossed $20 the first time, i picked up some. ASE's were $4.50 over melt, 90% was 2 bucks over, but i got a nice set on ebay a little under spot. It was monogrammed, but it was the right letter for me so there you go. It was well used, but no more than the stuff you have in your drawer now.

my wife says you can't clean it in the dishwasher, so we don't use it every day. any thoughts on how to clean it?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:a few years ago when silver crossed $20 the first time, i picked up some. ASE's were $4.50 over melt, 90% was 2 bucks over, but i got a nice set on ebay a little under spot. It was monogrammed, but it was the right letter for me so there you go. It was well used, but no more than the stuff you have in your drawer now.

my wife says you can't clean it in the dishwasher, so we don't use it every day. any thoughts on how to clean it?

Yes, hand wash it in the sink with hot, soapy water. Then, hand dry with a soft towel. Gloves help as you don't want to get body skin oil on them before you put them away. Your body oil can tarnish the silver.

If the silverware is tarnished, you can easily remove the tarnish by lining a large plastic bucket with aluminum foil. Then place the silverware onto the aluminum. Make sure all silverware is in contact with the aluminum, or touching another piece that touches the aluminum. Next, pour in very hot water. Then stir in pure baking soda. I forgot the amount per gallon, so you will have to look it up online. A chemical reaction will occur. The tarnish (sulfur oxides) will transfer to the aluminum.. Last, wash in hot soapy water and gently rub off any remaining softened tarnish. This really works. Be careful and don't overdo it, though, for this can remove any designer patina on the silverware, too.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Dumpster Diver » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:57 pm

beauanderos wrote:I have to wonder if this is why I haven't been sick in years? I'm constantly handling silver. Image

I just swallowed a 40% half. I'll keep you posted.
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 999Ni » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:04 pm

appjoe wrote:Years ago I use to raise Angel fish and if they got sick and I didn't know what kind of bacteria it was as in gram positive or gram negative to treat with antibiotics. I would drop a silver bar in the tank and it seemed to help of course there is good bacteria that they need and it would also kill that off so you had to do a lot of water changes to stop amonnia from building up.

Thats pretty neat! Although I wouldn't want to get my silver wet if I had any, but thats just me. ;)

LOL @ dumpsterdiver How you feeling now? :lol:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:11 am

Dumpster Diver wrote:
beauanderos wrote:I have to wonder if this is why I haven't been sick in years? I'm constantly handling silver. Image

I just swallowed a 40% half. I'll keep you posted.

DD, I hope you "pass" the silver test! :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 pm

No it’s because you work in C-dif all day, have had million vaccines, and subsequently have an immune system like a mule. ;)

Silver flatware has virtually no effect on your food’s cleanliness or sterility. There are no health benifits gained from using it. To think that it can add years to one's life.......well thats just plain silly. :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:16 pm

Okay... so just as an experiment... the other night I started to get a sore throat, so next morning I popped a slick SLB quarter into my cheek after reading online that silver "possibly" has some medicinal benefits from doing so. Next day... sore throat gone. Who knows? Placebo effect or does it really work?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:28 pm

beauanderos wrote:Okay... so just as an experiment... the other night I started to get a sore throat, so next morning I popped a slick SLB quarter into my cheek after reading online that silver "possibly" has some medicinal benefits from doing so. Next day... sore throat gone. Who knows? Placebo effect or does it really work?

Prob in the head Ray, but Ag is good for coating the inside of trachea tubes to slow the spread of bacteria.

Didn't your mom tell you when you were a kid "money is dirty, so keep it out of your mouth" :lol:
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:30 pm

There is a perscription wound care ointment called.

SILVADINE (silver sulfadiazine). I once had to use some for a deep burn on my hand that would not heal because it was in a bad spot.

The results were amazing, of course testamonial is no way to judge the effficacy of a medicine. But it is a perscription med that is FDA approved.

FDA approval usually requires at least three phases of study, including double blind trials.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Treetop » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:33 pm

silver has undeniable anti bacterial properties actually. LOTS of cash is spent to keep people thinking it doesnt though.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Couldn't agree more with you guys that colloidal silver is a great antimicrobial.....but i stand with my statement:

Silver flatware has virtually no effect on your food’s cleanliness or sterility. There are no health benifits gained from using it.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals