Where do you buy your acid to test gold?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Where do you buy your acid to test gold?

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:50 pm

I don't know the first thing about testing gold with acid. I need to get me feet wet. I don't wont to buy some lousy stuff or overpay either. Which acid do you use and where do you get it? I was thinking of just picking up a small kit with a decent rating on Amazon, but I thought I would tap into the realcent wisdom to see if there is a better way to go. TIA!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Where do you buy your acid to test gold?

Postby Chaboo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Perfect timing!!!!! I'm in the same boat - thank you for posting the question.
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasTT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 pm

starstruckllc.com is as good as any.

ebay and amazon are fine too, but starstruck has all the toys that go with it.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks fasTT. I just wanted to make sure that I did not end up buying inferior acids. I probably would not even realize the problem since I am just learning.

On another note, does anyone know the formula or components used in the test acids? I can get any chemicals at work. We have a bunch of acids in stock and I can even get free samples of a lot of stuff since we buy in huge bulk on certain chemicals. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make this stuff to sell on the side? I could go ask Mr. Google right now, but I need to go get some sleep!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby deacon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Nitric acid is used in refining silver. Its pricy. Word on the street is that its much cheaper to make it yourself.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 am

OK, I quit being lazy and looked this up myself. Thought I would post this link if anyone was interested in more info on what is in the test solution and how it works.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7324
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals