Canadian silver dimes?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Canadian silver dimes?

Postby brian0918 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59 am

How frequently do you US dime sorters come across Canadian silver dimes (pre-69)? I came home at lunch and popped open a few boxes, and the first one I found was a 1956 Canadian dime, 80% silver. :) I'm pretty new to dime sorting, so maybe they're common.

I don't have a Ryedale, but would it be able to pick these 80% silver ones out, if its comparing against a 90% silver US dime?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Canadian silver dimes?

Postby 4 bit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Over the past four months, I've found about 1 Canadian silver dime per $1,557 searched, compared with 1 U.S. silver dime per $177 searched. All but one of the Canadian silver dimes I've found have been 80% silver. The other one was 50% silver. I've yet to find a pre-1921 Canadian sterling dime. They might be more common here in northeast Ohio than elsewhere due to our proximity to the Canadian border. I've not used a Ryedale, so I don't know whether it distinguishes between a Canadian silver dime and a U.S. silver dime.
4 bit
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Yes, I do find them on occasion. I almost always find clad Canada dimes every time that I sort CWR dimes here in the US. I would say that I find a CDN silver dime for every (est.) 15 US silver dimes. Just today, I found a 1953 CDN dime (it was too faded, so I don't know if it was NSF or SF). I'll probably never finish my CDN dime album, but that's OK. :)

I own a Ryedale, but only run pennies through it; the machine will probably do it for you after some tweaking. That said, I think you're better off just edge/checking the dimes (it takes me about 2-3 seconds to do a roll).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hirbonzig » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:33 pm

In the past 4 years I haven't found much Canadian silver. Just one 80% and 2 50% silver dimes.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cecropia_moth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:28 pm

This year I have found (8) 80% and (1) 1968 50%. So, about one/month at a sort rate of about 25 or so boxes per month. This is in SE Wisconsin, not really close to the border.

Jeff
cecropia_moth
Penny Collector Member

Postby creshka46 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 am

I actually found a George V sterling dime in my pennies a while back :D . That was pretty cool 8-)
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm still shocked that a ryedale can sort dimes. Missed out on that one. I found only 1 silver canadian dime in all the boxes I've sorted. And that's a lot of sorted boxes :).
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:33 pm

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:04 pm

JobIII wrote:I'm still shocked that a ryedale can sort dimes. Missed out on that one. I found only 1 silver canadian dime in all the boxes I've sorted. And that's a lot of sorted boxes :).

It takes some tinkering and Andy doesn't support the machine for dimes, so your mileage may vary. You also shouldn't expect anything near perfect sorting, and realize that you'll still have to hand sort quite a few after the machine is done.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals