Inflation

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Inflation

Postby Saabman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:42 pm

From ZeroHedge:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-pos ... s-out-hand

"If my monthly expenses are about $3,000/month, I need 45 ounces to cover two years of high inflation, and 90 if it lasts four years."
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Re: Inflation

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:16 pm

I am no dummy! I truly get the fact that gold and silver has risen, in stride, with the rising prices of everything else. In other words, a silver quarter today will still buy a gallon of gasoline (almost two). Which is why I stack!!!

However, no one around me takes silver/gold coins for goods. I cannot just walk up to a gasoline station and say here is a 1964 quarter, I would like 1.5 gallons of gas...NO.. it just doesn't happen.

So that means that I then need a place to sell my coin, in exchange for FRNs. And everyone here knows that I am not going to get the full value of the silver in the coin.

And then there is the replacement value of the silver that I sold. Obviously, unless I find them in the wild, it will cost me pretty close to, if not above spot. And then there is the haircut that I must take in order to re-liquidate the silver.

It just seems to me that when articles like this come out, with respect to the product to gold/silver ratio, they are not truly representing reality, because the price of spot is something that no one here can expect to achieve!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:07 pm

There was an interesting chart in that article comparing the price of corn to gold throughout the years form Casey Research. Anyone know where to find other charts like that that go back to the 50's and before? Things like milk, gas, diesel, meat prices, cars, etc.??
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I am not sure what region u r located nor the market conditions during your liquidation but I have never sold a gram of precious metal below spot
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby slvrbck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Come to think of it I don't believe I have ever paid over spot for a gram either. Be smart my friends.
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Kurr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:23 pm

You can work trades of your PMs for goods/services, but not through the "corporate" businesses. Find mom n pops, or personally owned business and negotiate with the owner.

A good place to start if you are inclined is, say, your local farmer's market, or local non corporate gas station. We have one here (i have never tried it here) that is "employee owned and operated". Your local 7-11, Thortons, Speedway, etc isn't going to go for the trade deal.

I have traded silver at 3-4 times what I opriginaly paid for it in antique shops to get tools to work with that were either specialty or of a quality they don't make anymore. I hate to trade a durable good like silver for consumables like food and gas, but that is just me. Your milage may vary. Be creative and remember, theres no harm in asking.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby everything » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:01 pm

I'd like to know the secret of purchasing .999 for less than spot, I know it's pretty easy to sell for over spot.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 pm

c'mon folks, buy low sell high! PM's are just like anything else (cars, houses, land). Stay away from unscrupulous dealers and pay w/ cash if you can. Ive never paid "book" value for a vehicle and never paid market price for a property either. I remember buying a nice lot of BU eagles for $10 a pop back when spot was $11.50. Shop around.
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby penny pretty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 pm

the charts were nice,But I cant see a time when you are paying for things like a college education, or an oil change for your car in PMs. If you are paying for anything in PMs, its already hit the fan, and you will be using them for MUCH baser needs.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 am

Good artical... loved the chart... thanks for the post!1 :thumbup:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slvrbck » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:43 am

Anyone in SW PA i will gladly change your oil for 5-6 silver quarters depending on how many quarts it takes. Several years ago I traded an ol' lawnboy push mower for a dansco w/ 16 ASE's including a 96. Last month i traded 4 of em for a nice 18hp lawn tractor. If that aint inflation I dont know what is. I buy and sell alot of stuff and i always put the option out there to deal in silver. You'd be surprised how many people have old coins layin around that would much rather trade them than part with the bills in their pocket.
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 am

penny pretty wrote:the charts were nice,But I cant see a time when you are paying for things like a college education, or an oil change for your car in PMs. If you are paying for anything in PMs, its already hit the fan, and you will be using them for MUCH baser needs.

I agree but the reason I was looking is to see how certain commodities performed vs. gold (or silver) over the past 10,30 or 50 years. I'm sure there have been opportunities to be on the winning and losing side of the fence throughout history. I have found a few on gold vs crude, the dow, T bonds etc but I'm sure there are more out there. One I can't find yet and would like to see is the gold vs the dollar.... In nominal dollars is gold worth more or less than it was in the past, or the same??
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 am

mbailey1234 wrote:One I can't find yet and would like to see is the gold vs the dollar.... In nominal dollars is gold worth more or less than it was in the past, or the same??

Um, nominal dollars? Much more.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 pm

mbailey1234 wrote:There was an interesting chart in that article comparing the price of corn to gold throughout the years form Casey Research. Anyone know where to find other charts like that that go back to the 50's and before? Things like milk, gas, diesel, meat prices, cars, etc.??

LOL I think corn has done the best in the past month or so(drought) mmmm CORN!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals