Commonwealth Junk Silver: England Canada Australia

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Commonwealth Junk Silver: England Canada Australia

Postby Quagmire » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:27 am

What do you guys think about junk silver from these countries? I recently have become interested in the English and Canadian junk silver coinage, which is as fine as .925. Would you buy it? What kind of premium/discount would apply in your opinion.
Quagmire
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Commonwealth Junk Silver: England Canada Australia

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:26 pm

I don't know about English, but I've always been a fan of Canadian junk silver. I have some of the .925, but most of mine is .800. I've been able to pretty consistently get it on ebay a under spot.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Uk junk is worth buying, but it's a pain to find as it's been out of circulation for years.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:13 pm

I've been buying some foreign Sterling when I can get it at a nice discount to spot. Australia will be your best bet of these countries - WWII and before is ALL sterling. If you search, you can get SOME at a good price. The key is to buy under-spot because when you sell someday you will have to sell under-spot due to the less demand for these coins in the USA. I think the higher the SILVER fineness on the foreign coins, the better; 72% SILVER fineness is about as low as I will go.

Canadian pre-1968 as you know is 80% fineness. GB SILVER before 1920 is sterling. After WWI, the Brits debased their SILVER coinage to 50% fine. Australian SILVER was ALL sterling through 1945, but the coinage was debased to 50% in 1946. I like the later Aussie sterling because you can get the WWII coins with little wear (more SILVER for your face value).
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:08 pm

I like canadian..... when under spot.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I like 80% Canadian (1966 and before). I believe they moved the content down to 50% silver in mid 1967, so you never know what you are getting with that year. I'm fine with the British and Aussie coins, but its difficult to get them at reasonable prices here in the U.S. when you include shipping.

I was able to get $11 face of 80% Canadian for less than $140 earlier today on Ebay. I have no idea how I won that one, but I'll take it.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppertone » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Stay away from the 80% Canadian on E-Bay............ because I want it! Most of my junk is Canadian (I'm from Canada). The early Queen Voyager dollars are my favorite coin but the dollars do carry a bit of a premium over the smaller stuff. Would like to buy more US 90% but I feel I get better deals on the home stuff.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals