Platinum price overtaking Gold price again?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Platinum price overtaking Gold price again?

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 am

We've recently witnessed Silver make a huge run from $27 to just under $35 recently (+30%). Gold went from $1565 to $1770 (+13%). And Platinum, once a stalwart of PM's which traded above gold for decades, went from $1380 to $1700 (+23%).

August 2011 was the first crossover of the Gold:Platinum ratio. In April 2010 it was 1.5:1, got as low as .87:1 in December 2011 and again in August 2012, and is currently .95:1. The 250 day moving average is below the 1:1 ratio; meaning that the weakness in Pt in relation to Au has been ongoing for 3 years.

I'm not sure if being a contrarian now is the right thing to do, and I have not been a big fan of the other white metals for the last 5 years, but I am finding prudence in the idea of diversifying my holdings by adding some Pt to my portfolio. I continue to like gold and silver, but this looks like an opportunity in Platinum.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Platinum price overtaking Gold price again?

Postby beauanderos » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:01 am

never hurts to have a little bit of each
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 am

I have always loved Platinum! :thumbup: You can't beat the rarity of the metal. When you realize that it takes approximately 10 tons of ore and a five month process time just to make up just one ounce of platinum; you can’t help but be in awe! Eventually, the economy will pick back up, hopefully within my lifetime and once again you will see this metal above the gold price where it should stay!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:34 am

I like platinum and feel it should be worth more than gold. However I think this latest spike is mostly due to the South African miner's strike and work stoppage. It may go up some more but once they get crushed I think it should fall some. Woulda, shoulda, coulda bought around $1400. That saying, I am not selling the bit I have buried in a remote undisclosed location.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals